Confessions of a cruise worker

barbon2

Hi Folks,

Was just on AOL, and one of the "articles" on their welcome page is a "Confession of a Cruise Worker", and he had worked on a HAL ship.

An interesting read. I don't know how long they will have this article up, so if you see this tonight, go over and read it.

Barbara

This is so funny, because there are so many things incorrect! I'm sure ManBehindtheCurtain will back me on this. First of all, they cannot and do not require that males and females share a cabin on any ship. Second, a small thing, but nametags are not worn on formal nights. Third, it seems like this guy says he was part of the cast, and if that's true, then he had no cruise staff duties. And lastly, you are not required to wear your uniform to the OB.

Just my 2 cents...

This is so funny, because there are so many things incorrect! I'm sure ManBehindtheCurtain will back me on this. First of all, they cannot and do not require that males and females share a cabin on any ship. Second, a small thing, but nametags are not worn on formal nights. Third, it seems like this guy says he was part of the cast, and if that's true, then he had no cruise staff duties. And lastly, you are not required to wear your uniform to the OB.

Just my 2 cents...

Just my 2 cents...

The story sounds pretty detailed. He must have a pretty good imagination.:D

Hi Folks,

Was just on AOL, and one of the "articles" on their welcome page is a "Confession of a Cruise Worker", and he had worked on a HAL ship.

An interesting read. I don't know how long they will have this article up, so if you see this tonight, go over and read it.

Barbara

Sounds like someone has an ax to grind:cool:

Hi Folks,

Barbara

Sounds like the former cruise worker has an ax to grind:cool:

Certainly there is some embelishment going on in the article but I think much of it is possible. Cast can work for extra cash on certain ships under certain circumstances in the Library or help Cruise Staff or Excursion staff, etc. I am not overly surprised by the onboard relationship revelations except the one involving guest pastors. Thats a real stretch for effect I think. No doubt an axe to grind as well.

Lots of inconsistencies here......

The Noordam is only 2 years old.

When was the last time HAL visited Jamacia?

The entertainment staff are not cruise line employees. I could be mistaken here, but I am thinking BINGO and shuffleboard are not a part of a dancer's job description. And how exactly does a dancer influence who gets to go on a shore excursion or not?

How does the noise from the Terrace Bar disturb a show performance, four or more decks away?

That a cruise line promotes safe sex amongst its employee's is news?

Sounds like this former employee did not change his bed linens very often or he has a Pinocchio Nose.:eek:

The only thing that didn't ring true for me was males and females sharing cabins.

I was on a RCI Mediterranean cruise recently with my husband and two female friends. One of my female friend's daughter was the 2nd singer in the cast. I've known her since she was 4. She would have dinner with us most nights and bring various other members of the cast with her. We got to meet them all and heard quite a bit about what goes on.

They have a quite a bit of free time and a fair bit of boredom. Most of them would help out with some of the deck activities even though it wasn't required of them. There was also a LOT of drinking and fraternising between themselves and other crew members.

These people are mostly in their early 20s and away from home. It doesn't seem all that shocking to me.;)

Do know that entertainment staff can share rooms with oppisite sex. We met a very nice, very young man (18y.o) on his first cruise a couple of years ago and he told us he was sharing with a woman also on entertainment staff. As he told me he didn't mind, "cause she was pretty old." He thought she was 31 or 32. We laughed about this.

I personally thought this was poorly written and at the end of the 2nd page thought there should have been more and when realized that was it I thought "So What" Really not sure what the point of the article was:confused: It was more like random weird thoughts.

Here is a link that maybe non AOL people can get to

http://information.travel.aol.com/features/cruise/confessions-cruise-personnel?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0258

I can't seem to find the story on AOL where it was located earlier (by following lindsay's link)... does anyone know, has it been moved somewhere else??

I do know a couple of cast on cruise ships and would love to read the article ;)

**Lisa, you must have read my mind... thanks.

Bonnie

Certainly there is some embelishment going on in the article but I think much of it is possible. Cast can work for extra cash on certain ships under certain circumstances in the Library or help Cruise Staff or Excursion staff, etc. .......

I agree. My college son got to know the entertainment cast and they helped with excursions, games and ran the dance classes. They got extra cash for doing it. This was on the Westerdam. Dont know about the other claims.

I do know that on most HAL cruises we have met some of the entertainment staff who do take a turn in the Library, usually for about 2 hrs. each a week. This was told to me by entertainers who were on Library duty when I was in there.

Barbara

I agree. My college son got to know the entertainment cast and they helped with excursions, games and ran the dance classes. They got extra cash for doing it. This was on the Westerdam. Dont know about the other claims.

Thanks. I stand corrected on that point.

Now who can tell us the last time HAl visited Jamacia.

I do know that on most HAL cruises we have met some of the entertainment staff who do take a turn in the Library, usually for about 2 hrs. each a week. This was told to me by entertainers who were on Library duty when I was in there.

Barbara

I was going to say the same thing. I've seen them in the library as well. I do believe they have other duties on the days they don't have a show or a rehearsal. Would make sense. The cruise line is not going let them just relax all day ... not when just about everyone else is working 12+ hour shifts.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I can't seem to find the story on AOL where it was located earlier (by following lindsay's link)... does anyone know, has it been moved somewhere else??

I do know a couple of cast on cruise ships and would love to read the article ;)

**Lisa, you must have read my mind... thanks.

Bonnie

http://information.travel.aol.com/features/cruise/confessions-cruise-personnel?ncid=AOLCOMMtravdynlprim0258

Thanks. I stand corrected on that point.

Now who can tell us the last time HAl visited Jamacia.

I don't know about the last time, but the next two are Feb 17, and March 30. It looks like once a month on cruises out of Tampa

http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20080217:E814:C8E070&dest=C

http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/itinerary.do?selectedItin=20080330:E818:C8E070&dest=C

Rich

It's an amusing story and very believable. I've seen show members working at passenger support positions on every cruise. Usually in the librarys.

Of course there's no "point" to her account of her cruise ship experiences. It's in the form of a blog, not an editorial argument or description of an event of any import.

We must remember, this is the age of Instant Messaging.

God help our high school English teachers. They are the true warriors. :p

Archived