Confessions of a cruise worker

barbon2

This is so funny, because there are so many things incorrect! I'm sure ManBehindtheCurtain will back me on this. First of all, they cannot and do not require that males and females share a cabin on any ship.

Hi Sungoddess, agree with you about the sharing cabin on ships but reading the story it does not say that the sharing was a cabin on a ship but would appear to have been during the auditions which appear to be on shore...and possibly a hotel room?

oops just saw on the 2nd page that the writer says that the process was to be continued on the ship so they had to hire a couple I see what you mean now bit strange statement on the writer´s part....not the norm I am sure

If I'm not mistaken the author is a female, not a male.

Sure there is sleaze on board cruise ships. Why would they be any different from a shore establishment?

I get the funny feeling that this was the writer's first experience of the 'real world'.

Stephen

If I'm not mistaken the author is a female, not a male.

Sure there is sleaze on board cruise ships. Why would they be any different from a shore establishment?

I get the funny feeling that this was the writer's first experience of the 'real world'.

Stephen

Hi Stephen the first paragraph introduces the writer as Robert

I don't have a clue the reason for the article and what the author's point is to writing this.

That there is homosexual and heterosexual sex on ships? Really?? :eek: Shocking!

What's shocking IMO is that we're giving it so much attention.

Of course there's no "point" to her account of her cruise ship experiences. It's in the form of a blog, not an editorial argument or description of an event of any import.

We must remember, this is the age of Instant Messaging.

God help our high school English teachers. They are the true warriors. :p

To echo that sentiment, my daughter is graduating this April in Englisg/TESL for secondary schools and during her student teaching stint, she has even seen one of the teachers take an instant message during class- pretty pathetic! Luckily we raised her right and this appalled her, something she would never do.

I am sure this is an old article which someone appears to be using as current information. I remember seeing the story, or something very similar, online 3-4 years ago.

I think he may be talking about the old Noordam as he mentions Jamaica and based out of Tampa, which is something the new Noordam has not done.

I am sure this is an old article which someone appears to be using as current information. I remember seeing the story, or something very similar, online 3-4 years ago.

I think he may be talking about the old Noordam as he mentions Jamaica and based out of Tampa, which is something the new Noordam has not done.

Bishop,

And of course the old NOORDAM did have a terrace or balcony bar in the show lounge.

No matter, the story was rather pointless. Sounds like the guy was trying to come up with an excuse to tell his mother as to how he caught a dose of, 'the pitter-patter of little feet about the privates'!!!!

He probably doesn't know the cure.... sprinkle the affected area with SUGAR. It doesn't kill them... just rots their teeth so the bites don't hurt!

Stephen

I think this story is a lot of trash!

It sure is!!!

I have been a dancer on Holland America cruise ships since 2005. First of all, if "Robert" was really a cast member on any HAL ship, then he would know that rehearsals do NOT take place in NY as he states but rather in LA with the entertainment company that hires the performers for HAL shows. Secondly, singer/dancers have ZERO cruise staff duties, other than the library, usually two shifts of four hours. Thirdly, if any one has ever seen a cast show on HAL ships, the shows are comprised of medleys of broadway and pop songs, totaling about 50 minutes. To my knowledge, there have never been 20 minutes of Cats, Evita, or Phantom on any HAL ship. Apparently I think hes confused with which cruise line he worked for. Cruise ship performers sign 6 month contracts and are entitled to have fun like anyone else being away from family and friends, but "Roberts" view is totally out of line and completely off base.

This guy has been smoking too much crack and his "sensational" story has so many holes in it you can drive a Mack truck through it! Noordam III left HAL in NOV 04 so if our Robert "performed" on her, this story is at least three years old.

"Organizing shuffleboard" and "running bingo games" are duties performed by cruise staff members. "We wouldn't help them get on the shore excursion they wanted" Great but how he do that? Pretty sure that's the people in Shorex' responsibility.

Like Dancer112 just stated, the HAL cast members are hired by Stiletto Entertainment on La Cienega Blvd in Inglewood, CA. not far from the City I work for. From their website:

"The process begins in Los Angeles with rehearsal six days a week for three to seven weeks at the Stiletto facility near LAX. This time will also include shoe fittings, vocal coaching and, if your cast is putting up a new show, costume fittings. Out of town cast members live in our cast apartments about five minutes away from our rehearsal studio. The apartments have a pool, gym and sauna and provide a place for the cast to get to know each other before they go out to sea"

"As part of the ship’s daily activities, you may be scheduled to teach a half hour line dance class, lead a backstage tour, meet the passengers at a coffee chat or have ice cream with the Club HAL kids. However, there are no cruise staff duties! Cast members have no required uniform and wear their own clothing aboard which must be consistent with the passengers’ daily dress code (see FAQs page for more information on the dress code). You will also have safety responsibilities as part of the ship's crew, such as traffic director for lifeboat drills. And one or two of the cast members are always aboard ship in case of an emergency"

Behind the scenes heterosexual as well as homosexual affairs and sleeping around? I wouldn't doubt it. Last time I checked, that goes on on land so why wouldn't it at sea?

Hey, this stuff makes for great entertainment! Maybe our buddy Robert can be talked into writing his memoires:rolleyes:

What surprises me is that he had a philipino crew, while the contingent of Indonesians is much larger on all HAL ships...

Other than that, some things can be true, others are doubtful at best, especially if this is supposed to be a recent experience.

As for the "Most shocking facts": Heeeelllloooo, people living in confined areas for 6 months at a time? Of course people are going to hook up with eachother. It's just like a little village. And yes, people know probably before you have even done anything..... ;)

[quote name='sungoddess']This is so funny, because there are so many things incorrect! I'm sure ManBehindtheCurtain will back me on this. First of all, they cannot and do not require that males and females share a cabin on any ship. Second, a small thing, but nametags are not worn on formal nights. Third, it seems like this guy says he was part of the cast, and if that's true, then he had no cruise staff duties. And lastly, you are not required to wear your uniform to the OB.

Just my 2 cents...[/QUOTE]

Hi Sungoddess, you are right on most parts. On my last ship however most cast opted to share the cabins boy+girl because the preferred it that way (and some were not even couples).

One thing you were wrong about: officially you have to wear your uniform in the Officers bar, it's just we don't actively enforce this rule. Only when people take it to the other extreme (tanktops, pyjamas etc) and complaints come up we take action....

Archived