Does anyone know for sure if you need a passport to fly back from West Carib. locals

Hi,

Would I need a passport to fly back to the US from Cozumel, Grand Caymen or Mo'Bay? If not, I think we'll leave our passports in our ship safe and take our CC and drivers licenses. We plan on doing a lot of water stuff and want to take as little with us as possible. Thanks!

Hi,

Would I need a passport to fly back to the US from Cozumel, Grand Caymen or Mo'Bay? If not, I think we'll leave our passports in our ship safe and take our CC and drivers licenses. We plan on doing a lot of water stuff and want to take as little with us as possible. Thanks!

Technically YES, you need your passport to fly back and re-enter the U.S.

That being said, there are ways it can be worked around in an emergency, but personally I would have that passport with me when I debark the ship in ANY foreign port of call.

Hmmmmm....frustrating. I don't know how I'm supposed to snorkel and swim with it. I got a water wallet, but I'm not sure how big it is....Thanks. I was one of the 'lucky' :rolleyes: ones that ran out and applied and got it back just 5 short months later!:D So, I'm new at the policies. Guess I'll figure out how to keep it safe but I'm a total worrywart - I walk around with mace on my keychain all the time - I'll be looking over my shoulder for the whole vacation!:(

Hi,

In a word Yes, you will require a passport.

You have me a little confused. You want to leave your passport in the ship's safe which infers you are on a cruise. Then why are you flying back and not coming back with the ship?

Not to worry, you won't need your passport while swimming or snorkeling.

Your sea-pass and DL will be all you need (unless notified otherwise) to get on/off the ship. A water proof wallet will be fine for both of those.

We use the cabins safe for keeping your passport and other valuables locked up at all times until needed.

However, You will need your passport if there is an emergency and you need to depart early and fly home form one of the ports before the cruise ends. Otherwise you will only need your passport for embarkation and disembarkation.

Congrats on getting your passport and enjoy your cruise. :)

Hi,

If there's a major reason you can't make it back to the ship, I would have a copy of your passport with you along with your AMEX, that way you can go to the Embassy etc.........don't take the original with you...if you lose it, you wont be able to get BACK INTO USA.....we travel often and I would never feel comfortable traveling with my most important document.

Hi,

Are you planning to miss the ship?:confused:

As long as you don't miss the boat, there's no reason to take your passport ashore! None of the islands require them--it's only our own country that's causing us this hassle!

If, for some reason, you were to miss the ship and have to fly home (instead of getting to the next port) provisions are in place for you to do so. It may be a pain, but that's part of not getting back to the ship on time! You WILL be able to get back into the country!!!!

As long as you don't miss the boat, there's no reason to take your passport ashore! None of the islands require them--it's only our own country that's causing us this hassle!

If, for some reason, you were to miss the ship and have to fly home (instead of getting to the next port) provisions are in place for you to do so. It may be a pain, but that's part of not getting back to the ship on time! You WILL be able to get back into the country!!!!

Hey CB, so you think it's only our own country that's causing us this hassle? I certainly don't think border security is a hassle, as a matter of fact I am all for it. None of the islands require them, because they don't care who comes to visit, they just want them to spend their money, and leave.

In a word Yes, you will require a passport.

You have me a little confused. You want to leave your passport in the ship's safe which infers you are on a cruise. Then why are you flying back and not coming back with the ship?

Yes, I meant if something awful happens and we miss the ship for some reason. I just wanted to know if I really need to have the passport if god forbid something happened and we needed to fly home at a port while in the midst of the cruise - or if a copy of it and my ID would be okay... thanks for answering everyone.

Yes, I meant if something awful happens and we miss the ship for some reason. I just wanted to know if I really need to have the passport if god forbid something happened and we needed to fly home at a port while in the midst of the cruise - or if a copy of it and my ID would be okay... thanks for answering everyone.

A copy of a passport will not suffice to board a plane back to the US. It may help in gaining entry into a US Consular Office though.

Hey CB, so you think it's only our own country that's causing us this hassle? I certainly don't think border security is a hassle, as a matter of fact I am all for it. None of the islands require them, because they don't care who comes to visit, they just want them to spend their money, and leave.

Sorry to break your pseudo security bubble but thus far our government's actions to protect its borders have yielded little more than window dressing.

Most of the provisions of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Act of 2004 have yet to be enacted due to political and economic concerns.

Sorry to break your pseudo security bubble but thus far our government's actions to protect its borders have yielded little more than window dressing.

Most of the provisions of the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Act of 2004 have yet to be enacted due to political and economic concerns.

I guess you also think it is a hassle to have to present your passport? All I was saying is I don't think it is a hassle, and it is PART of our security. If you want to get into a debate about our border security go right ahead, but I don't care to be a part of it.:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Actually many of those islands do require passports for people to enter their countries. It is just that cruise passengers are considered to be "in transit" and as such the passport requirement usually doesn't apply. However, if you miss the ship and have to fly home from one of the islands, your passport won't do you much good if it is in your ship's safe. You will be able to get home, but the word "hassle" will really apply to the procedures involved. Claiming that the US is hassling its citizens by requiring them to get a passport is totally wrong. The only thing that our government has done wrong is continually extending the deadlines for the requirement instead of setting a date certain and holding to it.

Actually many of those islands do require passports for people to enter their countries. It is just that cruise passengers are considered to be "in transit" and as such the passport requirement usually doesn't apply. However, if you miss the ship and have to fly home from one of the islands, your passport won't do you much good if it is in your ship's safe. You will be able to get home, but the word "hassle" will really apply to the procedures involved. Claiming that the US is hassling its citizens by requiring them to get a passport is totally wrong. The only thing that our government has done wrong is continually extending the deadlines for the requirement instead of setting a date certain and holding to it.

Thanks negc, appreciate the info, and support about the hassling.:)

For the OP, to fly back to the U.S. you need a passport, unless you are flying back from Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands - a passport is not required for flying out of these two sites. If you have to fly home from elsewhere, your country is not going to strand you, you will get home.

Currently, Mexico and many countries in the Caribbean basin do not require Americans to have a passport. They do require a birth certificate and a piece of government issued photo ID. The need for a passport is in case you have to fly home from somewhere other than the two U.S. territories mentioned above, it would make things easier.

I guess you also think it is a hassle to have to present your passport? All I was saying is I don't think it is a hassle, and it is PART of our security. If you want to get into a debate about our border security go right ahead, but I don't care to be a part of it.:rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

Nope, it is no hassle at all. We've used passports for the last 25 years, and consider the passport as the easest proof of citizenship to use.

Like negc, we also wish that the provisions of the Intellegence Reform and Terrorism Act of 2004 were implemented and being enforced. We are all for border security. If you choose not to be concerned with effectiveness of the security that is fine with us.

For the OP, to fly back to the U.S. you need a passport, unless you are flying back from Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands - a passport is not required for flying out of these two sites. If you have to fly home from elsewhere, your country is not going to strand you, you will get home.

Currently, Mexico and many countries in the Caribbean basin do not require Americans to have a passport. They do require a birth certificate and a piece of government issued photo ID. The need for a passport is in case you have to fly home from somewhere other than the two U.S. territories mentioned above, it would make things easier.

Thank you. I guess since I just got it I'm scared to actually use it! :D If I may ask, would you take a copy and leave yours in the safe? Just curious.

A copy of a passport isn't going to get you back in the U.S. if you miss the ship in a foreign country - the actual passport is. A copy may help you when you have to go to the Consular when you try and get help getting home because you don't have the actual passport in your possesion.

We always take our passport off the ship and leave a copy on the ship in case it gets lost for any reason. But we have a waterproof pouch that we never take off on the islands we put our passport, credit card and seapass in. It goes right in the water with us, so it is never off our person and I don't have to worry about losing it.

A copy of a passport isn't going to get you back in the U.S. if you miss the ship in a foreign country - the actual passport is. A copy may help you when you have to go to the Consular when you try and get help getting home because you don't have the actual passport in your possesion.

We always take our passport off the ship and leave a copy on the ship in case it gets lost for any reason. But we have a waterproof pouch that we never take off on the islands we put our passport, credit card and seapass in. It goes right in the water with us, so it is never off our person and I don't have to worry about losing it.

May I ask where you got it? I got one but its only got two pouches, both only 4" by 3", not big enough for the passports.:(

Thank you. I guess since I just got it I'm scared to actually use it! :D If I may ask, would you take a copy and leave yours in the safe? Just curious.

It's entirely up to you as to whether you take your passport on shore with you....whatever makes you comfortable. I am not sure as to "official" advice on this anymore. The cruise lines and your own government agency responsible for issuing the passports have said leave them onboard in the past, I don't know what the official recommendation is anymore. Personally, we leave them on the ship.

Nope, it is no hassle at all. We've used passports for the last 25 years, and consider the passport as the easest proof of citizenship to use.

Like negc, we also wish that the provisions of the Intellegence Reform and Terrorism Act of 2004 were implemented and being enforced. We are all for border security. If you choose not to be concerned with effectiveness of the security that is fine with us.

Some how or other I must have missed negc's reference to the provisions of the Intellegence Reform and Terrorism Act of 2004. I am concerned with the effectiveness of our border security. Woe is Me, I make a statement about someone who said our government is hasseling us, I stick up for our policies, and I get critized. By the way you also didn't bust any bubble, because I didn't have one.:confused:

Some how or other I must have missed negc's reference to the provisions of the Intellegence Reform and Terrorism Act of 2004. I am concerned with the effectiveness of our border security. Woe is Me, I make a statement about someone who said our government is hasseling us, I stick up for our policies, and I get critized. By the way you also didn't bust any bubble, because I didn't have one.:confused:

My only criticism of our government was directed at its failure to set a firm and definite deadline for the need to have passports for all types of travel outside the US and stick to that deadline. Its constant kowtowing to special interest groups by extending, time and again, the deadline for border crossings by land and sea only encourages procrastinators and angers good citizens who made the effort to obtain passports in the benighted assumption that the deadlines would be adhered to. In referring to hassles, I indicated that showing a passport was not the hassle that cbatsea claims it is, but that trying to get back into this country without one because you left it safe and secure on the ship and went ashore without it, might well be a hassle. I can't speak for others but I certainly did not intend my comments to be taken as criticism of your remarks. :)

My only criticism of our government was directed at its failure to set a firm and definite deadline for the need to have passports for all types of travel outside the US and stick to that deadline. Its constant kowtowing to special interest groups by extending, time and again, the deadline for border crossings by land and sea only encourages procrastinators and angers good citizens who made the effort to obtain passports in the benighted assumption that the deadlines would be adhered to. In referring to hassles, I indicated that showing a passport was not the hassle that cbatsea claims it is, but that trying to get back into this country without one because you left it safe and secure on the ship and went ashore without it, might well be a hassle. I can't speak for others but I certainly did not intend my comments to be taken as criticism of your remarks. :)

Hey Bill, the post was for that other guy, not you. I've read many of your post, and do respect what you post, you're a class act.;)

Archived