Billie B

BillieB

Has anyone ever taken a travel kettle on the QM2, we booked early morning tea on our last cruise on the QM2 and it never arrived. we love a cuppa 1st and last thing, (you know what us Brits are like for our tea)there was no problems when we sailed with P&O as there is Tea & Coffee in the staterooms. We know we can get a drink in the Kings but would like to make our own. Our next cruise is in May from Southampton, Transatlantic to New York, can't wait.

Has anyone ever taken a travel kettle on the QM2, we booked early morning tea on our last cruise on the QM2 and it never arrived. we love a cuppa 1st and last thing, (you know what us Brits are like for our tea)there was no problems when we sailed with P&O as there is Tea & Coffee in the staterooms. We know we can get a drink in the Kings but would like to make our own. Our next cruise is in May from Southampton, Transatlantic to New York, can't wait.

I believe kettles and irons are discouraged.

P&O have tea and coffemaking facilities. Cunard have Room Service.:)

P&O have cruises. Cunard transatlantic voyages are Crossings.;)

I can only suggest that you ensure that it does arrive; it's called room service for a reason;).

Sorry I asked!

Billie, don't be sorry to ask away. I can't help with QM2, but we have always without fail had our morning tea delivered to our cabin on QE2 pronto!

The guys on here are right , they just sometimes come over as being a little too brusque!;)

You must insist that you get your morning tea, just have a word with your steward and l'm sure you will be fine.

Enjoy your TA trip, we will be on her in October and l can't wait either!!:)

Jackie

Billie,

we took a travel kettle on QE2 last year but didn't use it as we found no problem with room service. In the end, due to excessive purchasing by She Who Must be Obeyed, we left the damn thing with the Cabin Steward to create a bit of extra space in our bursting-at-the-seams luggage.

Jimmy

Of course, on a ship it should really be Cabin Service.

David

If your cabin is big enough, it should be called Stateroom Service. ;)

BillieB, the room service vs in-room is not a snobbery thing. It's largely a safety issue. People plug in heating devices like irons and tea kettles, or worse, those immersion heaters, and leave them on too long, or let them touch flammable objects, risking a fire. This risk increases drastically when the sea gets rough. There's also a risk of overloaded circuits, as heating devices draw a lot of current.

I've always had good luck with room services on both QE2 and QM2, as have my cruising friends. You didn't say if you tried it once and gave up, or if you tried several times. If room service doesn't show up, call and ask why. If you've decided it's too late for your am cuppa, give up and tell your cabin steward about the problem, and ask him/her to place your order for am tea for the next day. (I suspect that this is what Sir M meant about ensuring it arrives)

Kathy

not funny! thats enough, all I asked was a straightforward question.

On these board a straight answer is like asking for a straight Englsih countryside path. Not possible. One must be willing to parse the posts and then one will have more information than they need..

But to fully answer the question - NO you may not bring your own pot.

We asked the steward for tea to be served at 7am, 4pm and 11 pm daily, only once were we served, we took it up with the steward several times, but we just gave up in the end, which reflected in the size of his tip at the end of the trip. Perhaps if it hapens again we will take it up with the puser. Thank you for you replies

If your cabin is big enough, it should be called Stateroom Service. ;)

BillieB, the room service vs in-room is not a snobbery thing. It's largely a safety issue. People plug in heating devices like irons and tea kettles, or worse, those immersion heaters, and leave them on too long, or let them touch flammable objects, risking a fire. This risk increases drastically when the sea gets rough. There's also a risk of overloaded circuits, as heating devices draw a lot of current.

I've always had good luck with room services on both QE2 and QM2, as have my cruising friends. You didn't say if you tried it once and gave up, or if you tried several times. If room service doesn't show up, call and ask why. If you've decided it's too late for your am cuppa, give up and tell your cabin steward about the problem, and ask him/her to place your order for am tea for the next day. (I suspect that this is what Sir M meant about ensuring it arrives)

Kathy

Thanks Kathy; snobbery is one of the few vices I hope I don't possess. My fault for posting in a hurry whilst cooking dinner, and trying to be brief. Sorry BillieB for any misunderstanding, but I thought your initial question had been answered, and I was implying criticism of Cunard's room service and not of you.

Kathy has answered your post to perfection.

Regards, Mary

I supose I did take offence, sorry, I am not a newcomer to cruising, but comparing two lines belonging to the same company , there doesnt seem to be any uniformity. I can understand the reasoning behind not having travel kettles etc: but then why one system for one ship and one for the other. Just as an aside, one afternoon an empty teapot and two used cups, were left outside the stateroom, either a thirsty steward or an untidy passenger.

I supose I did take offence, sorry, I am not a newcomer to cruising, but comparing two lines belonging to the same company , there doesnt seem to be any uniformity. I can understand the reasoning behind not having travel kettles etc: but then why one system for one ship and one for the other. Just as an aside, one afternoon an empty teapot and two used cups, were left outside the stateroom, either a thirsty steward or an untidy passenger.

The two lines are marketed differently. P&O is almost exclusively UK. and Cunard is mainly UK and North America. I tend to think of Cunard as being a bit more upmarket than P&O, but with some US practices.

As to cabin service, (even the Master has a cabin) IMHO its use reflects the demographic rather than anything else. Whether or not in-cabin facilities are provided may also be down to the H&S policy of the individual line.

Good or bad service is down to the individual and, as you say, may even be down to an inconsiderate fellow passenger.

Please accept our apologies if we appear flippant, but we do have a rather strange sense of humour on this board. I suppose you could say we are a bit strange. Have a look at some of the other threads.... You might like them.

David

We asked the steward for tea to be served at 7am, 4pm and 11 pm daily, only once were we served, we took it up with the steward several times, but we just gave up in the end, which reflected in the size of his tip at the end of the trip. Perhaps if it hapens again we will take it up with the puser. Thank you for you replies

I can see a problem at 4 PM. That's usually your steward's time off, so with one person covering for several sets of cabins, that tea order could easily get lost in the shuffle. When service is that bad, you should go to the purser, who can pass along your complaint to the steward's supervisor.

I don't mean to sound rude, but why on earth would you want tea in your cabin at 4 PM when they serve a lovely tea in the Queens room (and other locations) every afternoon?

Kathy

I can see a problem at 4 PM. That's usually your steward's time off, so with one person covering for several sets of cabins, that tea order could easily get lost in the shuffle. When service is that bad, you should go to the purser, who can pass along your complaint to the steward's supervisor.

I don't mean to sound rude, but why on earth would you want tea in your cabin at 4 PM when they serve a lovely tea in the Queens room (and other locations) every afternoon?

Kathy

me and my partner like to have an afternoon snooze, and a cup of tea after!!!! wink, wink

Archived