Empress of the Seas question

A colleague of mine just got back from a Caribbean cruise on the Empress out of San Juan. She told me she had a terrible trip but most importantly she said that a crew memeber died while she was onboard. I believe she told me it was a pastry chef. I haven't seen any mention of that on this board. Has anybody who sailed this trip know anything

Although she is entitled to her opinion, this is her first cruise on any line. She said the weather was awful but heck you can't blame RCI for that. I've heard good things about this ship and that's why I don't base my bookings on people's opinions.

Sometimes, a cruise just isn't that person's "thing"! And how in the world would someone dying make a difference in her vacation? She didn't know that person, did she? Sounds like this just didn't suit her. I certainly wouldn't let it sway me from have a great trip!

Sometimes, a cruise just isn't that person's "thing"! And how in the world would someone dying make a difference in her vacation? She didn't know that person, did she? Sounds like this just didn't suit her. I certainly wouldn't let it sway me from have a great trip!

Would you know if there was indeed a death on that ship?

We've been on the Empress 5 times and the 11 night Southern Caribbean was one of our all time favorites. As long as you know ahead of time that the Empress is small and the cabins are really small, you should be OK. All of our cruises on the Empress were great. We had a lot of fun on each one!

We have been on many larger cruise ships. When we took our cruise on the Empress, it was an eye-opener. Yes, it was smaller than we have ever experienced but the stuff, sevice, and the condition of the ship were all execellent. As was stated by, RCI can control almost everything but the weather - pay your money and take your chances. We have had more than one day of bad weather but the cruise was still GREAT!

I agree with you that cruising may not be this persons type of a vacation. If it is true that a member of the cruise staff died on this cruis, however, it may well have put a damper on the mood of the staff. I can understand where they may not have been as upbeat as usual. I would have had a hard time doing my job as well as normal had I been in their position. This may have been all this person was trying to say. I'm with you, though. I hope I wouldn't let it sway me from having a great trip.

Maybe I was lucky because Empress was my first RCI ship. I started small and worked my way up. I have sailed her 2 times and would sail her again in a heartbeat. I am very sad to see her leave the fleet. I love the feeling of the small ship, the crew is very attentive and the best I have witnessed thus far. She is a unique ship, there aren't many more of her "breed" out there anymore as the cruise lines are building the Mega Ships. Can't blame RCI for the weather is right, but I can see how it may deter first time cruisers from cruising ever again. :) Terrible to hear of a death of a crew member, hope it isn't true!

We were on the Empress for the first time in Oct. and we loved her. But then we really like the small ships which are not for everyone. Can't say we have anything bad to say about the Empress.

Yes, the cabins are small but the space is made the most of with lots of shelves, nooks and crannies to store things, drawer space is limited. I don't pack lightly and I managed just fine.

If you want a nice quiet place to read or just watch the seas, the promenade deck can't be beat.

I agree with you that cruising may not be this persons type of a vacation. If it is true that a member of the cruise staff died on this cruis, however, it may well have put a damper on the mood of the staff. I can understand where they may not have been as upbeat as usual. I would have had a hard time doing my job as well as normal had I been in their position. This may have been all this person was trying to say. I'm with you, though. I hope I wouldn't let it sway me from having a great trip.

She stated that the ship was in dire need of a facelift, the crew was rude and she did not enjoy the food. Obviously cruising is not for her. How can anyone find fault in the whole cruise, regardless of the line. There must of been something she liked. Of course she couldn't compare it to another line as it was her fuirst cruise.

She stated that the ship was in dire need of a facelift, the crew was rude and she did not enjoy the food. Obviously cruising is not for her. How can anyone find fault in the whole cruise, regardless of the line. There must of been something she liked. Of course she couldn't compare it to another line as it was her fuirst cruise.

Empress was drydocked in 2004 or 2005 I believe. She can't need a facelift that badly. I was on her in 2006 and she looked fine to me! Both times the crew have been more than wonderful. Maybe she wasn't treating them very well. Who knows...

She stated that the ship was in dire need of a facelift,...

This is too funny. If she was never on a cruise before and had nothing to compare, how could she say it needed a face lift?:D

If you're planning on going on the Empress, you can see from all the posts that you have nothing to worry about.:)

I just got off of the Empress in November. I have sailed her twice now in the past 3 years. She is, and always will be my favorite of the RCCL ships.

I will miss her when she leaves in March knowing I can not sail her again.

As for the death on board of a Pastry Chef, I hope and pray that it was not the Chef who did the demo in the Centrum with the CD and the cakes. I hope and pray that it was a rumor and not a fact. :(

It almost sounds like that person sailed a different ship than I. The crew is known for their friendliness. The ship is still very beautiful in all the public areas and kept shinny clean every day. The dining rooms are still very well kept and everything there is very clean.

The Windjammer was fine and I had no complaints of anything I saw there. Including the food no matter where I ate it. :D

The theater was beautiful as always and always clean and neat when we arrived for a show.

She is going to be turned over to Pulmantur Cruise lines in March so it would make sense that they are not going to invest a lot of money to restore much on her at this late date.

On her last inspection she scored a 98 out of a 100. For an older ship, I would say that is pretty good.

The cabins are very small on that little ship. If one looks on the RCCL website it tells people that in advance. I hope anyone sailing on her checks.

A cruise is what a person makes of it. That itinerary is the best one RCCL has. I have done it twice. For one to come home from that cruise disappointed. I can't figure?

Alexis,

Lucky you, having the chance to sail on the Empress more than once.

Our favorite ship was Celebrity's Zenith which also went to Pullmantur.:( I picked the Empress not knowing what she would be like but thinking she was most like the Zenith. We loved her as much as the Zenith:) and now SHE'S going to Pullmantur.:(

Hi iheartbda-,

When we were in Margarita Island, Venezuela, a Pullmantar ship was anchored near us. I can't remember the name of it right now.

The ship had no balconies at all and I remember thinking the Empress will be a gem compared to that.

Our waiter told me Margarita Island is where they always see the Pullmatur ship.

I believe some of her crew came aboard the Empress that day as they toured the Windjammer while we were there for lunch. They had on different color uniforms than the RCCL officers were wearing.

Then I remembered that I did see those ships when we sailed her in Dec. 2004. Maybe we will "see" the Empress again someday.

A small boat full of people disembarked from that Pullmantur ship on that island? I thought that was strange.

Alexis,

Lucky you, having the chance to sail on the Empress more than once.

Our favorite ship was Celebrity's Zenith which also went to Pullmantur.:( I picked the Empress not knowing what she would be like but thinking she was most like the Zenith. We loved her as much as the Zenith:) and now SHE'S going to Pullmantur.:(

I have never had the oppourtunity to sail on the Empress, for that I am very upset, it just wasn't in the cards for us.

What's your next sailing? Sovereign? I see a trend here.;)

we got off the ship last week. We were told by other passengers that during the Christmas sailing, a 42 year old crew member from the Philipines died of a heart attack, as did a passenger during the muster drill.

Having sailed on Voyager class ships three times, I thought the Empress was ok, but my kids were certainly disappointed and even bored. My complaints weren't with the ship per se, but with RC overall - cutting out lobster, eliminating fruit drinks as a free option during mealtimes, shutting off ice cream machines, etc. We are platinum members, but the cutbacks have us reconsidering our allegience to RC

I have never had the oppourtunity to sail on the Empress, for that I am very upset, it just wasn't in the cards for us.

What's your next sailing? Sovereign? I see a trend here.;)

Ummm, I didn't want to point that out as that didn't escape me.;) We were on the very last sailng to Bermuda on the Zenith and the very last sailing to Bermuda on the Empress no less.:eek:

If you're worried about the Sovereign, you're in luck. Most likely, we'll be going on NCL Majesty of the Seas in Oct. to Bermuda so everyone take heed.:D

I just got off of the Empress in November. I have sailed her twice now in the past 3 years. She is, and always will be my favorite of the RCCL ships.

I will miss her when she leaves in March knowing I can not sail her again.

As for the death on board of a Pastry Chef, I hope and pray that it was not the Chef who did the demo in the Centrum with the CD and the cakes. I hope and pray that it was a rumor and not a fact. :(

It almost sounds like that person sailed a different ship than I. The crew is known for their friendliness. The ship is still very beautiful in all the public areas and kept shinny clean every day. The dining rooms are still very well kept and everything there is very clean.

The Windjammer was fine and I had no complaints of anything I saw there. Including the food no matter where I ate it. :D

The theater was beautiful as always and always clean and neat when we arrived for a show.

She is going to be turned over to Pulmantur Cruise lines in March so it would make sense that they are not going to invest a lot of money to restore much on her at this late date.

On her last inspection she scored a 98 out of a 100. For an older ship, I would say that is pretty good.

The cabins are very small on that little ship. If one looks on the RCCL website it tells people that in advance. I hope anyone sailing on her checks.

A cruise is what a person makes of it. That itinerary is the best one RCCL has. I have done it twice. For one to come home from that cruise disappointed. I can't figure?

It really comes down to her not doing her homework. Prior to our first cruise on the Dawn, I got most if not all of our questions answered on this board. This being her first cruise she had nothing to compare to. And an all inclusive ashore can never be compare to a cruise. This is where her problem lies. She told me that if she were to cruise again, it would be on a Princess ship but I think she would be unstatisfied there as well.

It really comes down to her not doing her homework. Prior to our first cruise on the Dawn, I got most if not all of our questions answered on this board. This being her first cruise she had nothing to compare to. And an all inclusive ashore can never be compare to a cruise. This is where her problem lies. She told me that if she were to cruise again, it would be on a Princess ship but I think she would be unstatisfied there as well.

I'm curious as to what would make her choose Princess since she has little to nothing to compare. Did she give you a reason? Maybe she just likes the sound of Princess.;)

I am sad to see her leave the fleet. I sailed on her the last time she went to Bermuda and it was a great cruise. There is not a lot to do on her and therefore it is not a ship for everyone. If you are looking for a relaxing cruise and a VERY friendly crew, this is a great ship for you. It was the very first ship I ever cruised on in 1996.

This ship will leave RCI in March and I hope I will be able to sail her one last time. A lot of these smaller ships are leaving RCI and it is something you should try if you love the romance of the sea.

Hi Alexis:

That Pullmantur ship you saw at Margarita Island was the Holiday Dream, a ship built in 1981, thus the reason for only having eight balcony suites. What's interesting about that little 37,000 ton ship is that for most of the 80,s and 90,s it was generally rated as the best cruise ship in the world when it sailed as the Europa for the German cruise line Hapag Lloyd.

Maybe not many balconies, but the huge 22.5 square metre outside and inside cabins were a real bonus when I sailed on her last February out of Santo Domingo DR. She is being transferred by RCI from Pullmantur to RCI's new French cruiseline CDF. The Empress will be taking over that itinerary for Pullmantur in March 2008, so I doubt very much that RCI will allow her to deteriorate very much before then, as Pullmantur is Europe's fastest growing cruiseline and one that RCI wants to ensure is successful.

As for those passengers disembarking at Margarita Island, Pullmantur as a total holiday packager offers an extension of a week's all-inclusive resort in Margarita or Aruba on top of the week's all-inclusive cruise ( yes, all soda, beer , wine and liquor on board) to their Spanish passengers who have flown on PullmanturAir's 747s from Madrid. RCI treats their Spanish clients rather well, I think.

Hi Alexis:

That Pullmantur ship you saw at Margarita Island was the Holiday Dream, a ship built in 1981, thus the reason for only having eight balcony suites. What's interesting about that little 37,000 ton ship is that for most of the 80,s and 90,s it was generally rated as the best cruise ship in the world when it sailed as the Europa for the German cruise line Hapag Lloyd.

Maybe not many balconies, but the huge 22.5 square metre outside and inside cabins were a real bonus when I sailed on her last February out of Santo Domingo DR. She is being transferred by RCI from Pullmantur to RCI's new French cruiseline CDF. The Empress will be taking over that itinerary for Pullmantur in March 2008, so I doubt very much that RCI will allow her to deteriorate very much before then, as Pullmantur is Europe's fastest growing cruiseline and one that RCI wants to ensure is successful.

As for those passengers disembarking at Margarita Island, Pullmantur as a total holiday packager offers an extension of a week's all-inclusive resort in Margarita or Aruba on top of the week's all-inclusive cruise ( yes, all soda, beer , wine and liquor on board) to their Spanish passengers who have flown on PullmanturAir's 747s from Madrid. RCI treats their Spanish clients rather well, I think.

Yes, that was the name of that ship. The "Holiday Dream". I could not remember it. Funny how some of the older ships have been so famous in their time and now look so very outdated. :o

I am glad you told me all this about the Empress and the fact she will be staying around the Caribbean.

I find this all very interesting as I do love the Empress very much.

Archived