Cosol Reservation

melgray13

The drivers are all well trained and were fantastic. Each of the vans travels seperately, but you get to the various destinations within minutes of each other. Cosol is always there to talk to you and greet everyone. We had Baptiste. He was funny and informative. No worries as to your actual driver.

As for Jalouise beach, even if you are not a beach person, lay down your beach towel and enjoy one of the most amazing views you can have. The beach is directly between the Pitons and right at the base of Petite Piton. There is nothing petite about it, as it is an imposing sight! There is also snorkeling available, just bring your own or rent it for a nominal fee. The sand is soft and the views amazing. Expect to be at the beach for about an hour and 10 minutes. There is something for everyone on this tour! If you choose to rent a chair from the resort, expect to pay $20 per chair. I would recommend saving the $20 to tip your driver. The sand is comfortable for the short time you are there. Just be sure to bring a beach towel from your ship.

There are no vendors on the beach, and Cosol's guys did not expose any of us to aggressive vendors. There are some opportunities to purchase local crafts along the way, but you have to approach the vendors yourself, they do not bother you. This was really a nice feature. St. Lucia is beautiful. Cosol's tour gives you many highlights of an impressive island.

Eric

AWESOME! Thanks for all the info.

Trudy

I had the honor of touring with Cosol last April. It was one of the best tours that I had and a far better value than what the ship tours were worth.

Cosol has pride in his island and you can hear it when he talks about St. Lucia.

My only bad spot about his tour was we were in port on Easter Sunday. Alot of the places were closed and we didn't get a chance to get any of the wonderful fish cakes and bread everyone talks about.

I'm going to make sure that this time I purchase a case of hot sauce and at least two more dolls.

I can't wait until November!!

We went on Cosol's tour and were SO glad we did. It is everything that people here say it is.

Cosol used to drive for ship-sponsored excursions until he decided that he could do it better on his own, and IMO, his tour exceeded any ship's tour I've ever taken in the Caribbean.

He is very organized, reliable, scrupulously honest, and genuinely cares that everyone has a great time. He's smart, and funny, and charming and so proud of his island. We drove with Cosol, but everyone else who drove with one of the other six drivers was as happy with their tour guide as we were. One of the other driver's is Cosol's brother.

Cosol is also very cautious about time, and will have you back at the ship with plenty of leeway before your sailaway time.

The food on the trip gives you a great sense of local culture, and there are generous amounts of everything. The hot bread and cheese were incredible!! There seemed to be an unending supply of icy cold beverages...soft drinks, rum punch, bottled water, and beer (I think...I don't drink beer so wasn't particularly noticing that).

The stop at Jalousie is beautiful. There is a restaurant down by the beach. It's a little expensive, but if you are not snorkeling, you can have a drink and sit at a table under an umbrella and just soak in the beauty. The vans can't stay down by the beach where they drop you, but they return on time to pick you up. (I think they're just parked up the hill a bit.)There are washrooms with an outside entry at the back of the restaurant that you can use.

We would return to St. Lucia and tour again with Cosol in a heartbeat.

We are booked to do the Cosol tour next Thursday. I know he wants cash at the end of the tour. Does he accept American money or does he want St. Lucian currency? Also, what is expect as far as tipping goes? Thanks for any feed back.

ps-we are traveling w/ travelers checks. Will the cruise line cash them in local currency? How do we get local currency if they don't?

We are booked to do the Cosol tour next Thursday. I know he wants cash at the end of the tour. Does he accept American money or does he want St. Lucian currency? Also, what is expect as far as tipping goes? Thanks for any feed back.

ps-we are traveling w/ travelers checks. Will the cruise line cash them in local currency? How do we get local currency if they don't?

American Money, cash or travelers checks. We tipped our driver $30, because we wanted to. Bring apples. Cosol loves apples!

You will love this tour!

The food on the trip gives you a great sense of local culture, and there are generous amounts of everything.

Agreed

The hot bread and cheese were incredible!!

100% disagree. This was the biggest disappointment of the excursion. Everything was great and then he hands us a bag of hot bread and a styrofoam container of cheese and says "help yourself"......:confused: My expectations were higher....

There seemed to be an unending supply of icy cold beverages...soft drinks, rum punch, bottled water, and beer (I think...I don't drink beer so wasn't particularly noticing that).

I disagree... We were only offered drinks when we stopped. It was "never ending" when we were stopped, but we were only stopped for periods of 30-60 minutes, 3 times, when they offered drinks. Certainly not "never ending supply"

We would return to St. Lucia and tour again with Cosol in a heartbeat.

Despite what I said, we would do this tour again and recommend it to everyone stopping in St. Lucia. We just wouldn't build it up quite as much as people on these boards tend to do....

Hi Jim,

We agree with you totally about Cosol's tour--it was wonderful. My husband & I went with him in December. I am trying to find some photos of his tour to add to our album. Do you have any that I could print? I'd especially like to have pictures of all of those fabulous "meals" he served, as well as any you took of the sign at the waterfall or at the volcano. My husband had been ill and my camera somehow fouled up. We'd be so appreciative. :)

Thank you.

Connie

Connie,

I will try to post a link tonight for the pictures of St. Lucia

Jim

Agreed

100% disagree. This was the biggest disappointment of the excursion. Everything was great and then he hands us a bag of hot bread and a styrofoam container of cheese and says "help yourself"......:confused: My expectations were higher....

I disagree ... We were only offered drinks when we stopped. It was "never ending" when we were stopped, but we were only stopped for periods of 30-60 minutes, 3 times, when they offered drinks. Certainly not "never ending supply"

I'm on these boards a lot, probably way too much. I havn't even been on the tour & I disagree w/you and your negativity. What were your expectations? To be served on fine china? Fine wine in crystal glasses? Did you research his tour prior to going? This is not touted as the Hilton tour...

Also the tour is 5 hours & you yourself say, that you stopped 3 times for between 30 minutes & one hour. I don't know about anyone else but I can put away quite a few cocktails or beers in that amount of time, espically in the hot Caribbean sun. Did you get thirsty while driving in the van? Did you ask for another drink? What did you really expect for $50.00 PP?

Just goes to show some people are never happy no matter what.

Hi Jim,

We agree with you totally about Cosol's tour--it was wonderful. My husband & I went with him in December. I am trying to find some photos of his tour to add to our album. Do you have any that I could print? I'd especially like to have pictures of all of those fabulous "meals" he served, as well as any you took of the sign at the waterfall or at the volcano. My husband had been ill and my camera somehow fouled up. We'd be so appreciative. :)

Thank you.

Connie

Connie,

Here is the link to my Fotki site for our cruise last week. St. Lucia starts on page 3. http://public.fotki.com/jimrsalem/vacations/caribbean-cruise-2008/.

Jim

DChip,

Thanks for your wonderful pictures! It looks like a fantastic time, and you helped make the decision easy.

Glad you enjoyed the photos. I hope to take many more in six weeks!!!!! I am starting to get really excited!!!

Cheers, Denise

Guessin ya might be a dolphin lover too. Watching the movie "Eye Of The Dolphin" tonight, never heard of it. But by viewing will fill my Caribbean fix for the weekend!

never heard of it....

best be getting down to the video store

and yes I was a dolphin in my past life :D

we were diving off of Lanai when some dolphins decided to come and join us.

WOW, one came right up to me and nosed my mask....

a moment I will never forget

Agreed

I disagree... We were only offered drinks when we stopped. It was "never ending" when we were stopped, but we were only stopped for periods of 30-60 minutes, 3 times, when they offered drinks. Certainly not "never ending supply"

Despite what I said, we would do this tour again and recommend it to everyone stopping in St. Lucia. We just wouldn't build it up quite as much as people on these boards tend to do....

We just returned from our cruise and excursion with Cosol. His tour was one of the best that we have taken in the 5 cruises we have done in the past. Cosol was informative, great personality, proud of his heritage as a St. Lucian. In response to the food, there was plenty to go around. I loved the fact that he only had local flavor (what St. Lucian's eat every day!). I loved the bread and cheese, which, from talking to other passengers, who used to live in St. Lucia, that is a very typical quick lunch/snack for them. As for the drinks, the coolers were always available in the vans, and the drivers always said you can help yourself to the drinks at any time. This was made clear as soon as you got in the van for the tour. Would I book again with Cosol? In a heartbeat!!!! From talking with other people that were in different vans they had the same opinion. I would highly recommend Cosol's tour. Great Value!

never heard of it....

best be getting down to the video store

and yes I was a dolphin in my past life :D

we were diving off of Lanai when some dolphins decided to come and join us.

WOW, one came right up to me and nosed my mask....

a moment I will never forget

Yo flip,

You might like this movie too, liked it, but it's not a great movie by any means, just OK. Yet the scenes of the ocean (it's shot in the Bahamas) & the scenes w/this girl bonding & swimming with the dolphins were most enjoyable. Living here in the middle of snowstorms it was great to see the ocean for an one & a half hours.

I'm fairly certain that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but Cosol does ONE SCHEDULE. This includes a bunch of stops.

I was going to hire the guy, and asked him if he could just arrange to do a R/T Jalouisie Beach day.

Twice, he replied to me with a "form letter". I was disappointed. That turned me off on the guy.

Ended up hiring a driver, Spencer Ambrose, instead. (Less money and just 4 of us) Had a blast. Info in my Amsterdam Review and Snapfish links in my sig.

Good luck. Jalouisie is AB FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Nononanette: I would love more info. about Spencer. Tried to e-mail you, but it didn't go through. Tried to see your pictures on snapfish, but the album said it was no longer available? I am dying for some real feedback. There is so much amazing stuff about Cosol, and I'm sure He's amazing, but I still am curious about Spencer and was thinking of booking him, but would like more detail from you.....mercur1o at optonline dot net Thanks!

Hello flippr5657-we will be on the Cosol tour with you. :) Are you by any chance going to be on the Empress? To everyone else, I have constantly been reading these glowing reports of this tour with Cosol and thus I booked upon the recommendations. I have made up my mind that this was going to be our favorite island just by others pictures. A recent thread on CC talks about the increase on crime in St. Lucia that had me a little concerned now. Have any of you on this tour ever felt unsafe? Apparently the tourists and tour guides are victims of these bandits. I do not mean to put a sad word into this thread but just wondering. I appreciate that someone on this thread specifically said that Cosol keeps you away from the agressive vendors. I thought we may leave the Fossil watch and wedding bands etc in the ship's safe. I wish Cosol would accept payment at the beginning of the tour and then he would have the money and not us. :) Thanks everyone for your input.

We always leave expensive jewelry and watches on board when we go on any shore excursion, anywhere. We felt perfectly safe on St. Lucia and especially on Cosol's tour. St. Lucia is a beautiful island.

Crime can happen anywhere. I manage a criminal courthouse, trust me. Any time you are in an unfamiliar location, or even your home town, exercise common sense regarding your own safety and your valuables.

You will have a great time on Cosol's tour. He and his drivers are proud of their home and rely on recommendations of past customers. They will do everything they can to make sure you have a great and safe experience. We had so much fun, we are taking Cosol's tour again next year!

Eric

We just returned from our cruise and excursion with Cosol.

Hi grapestomper,

missed seeing you on this tour - we were on the bus with Yellow Bird (Cosol's brother). I recognized your CC "handle". Shootingstar

Here is my summary:

His tour is just the BEST. It was the highlight of our trip.

For those who are wondering:

Windy roads, but his buses are in top condition. If you are at all motion sick, sit forward or even ride shotgun with your driver. Yellow Bird said the breaks are changed every 3 months. I was never afraid. Buses are air conditioned, but the weather was beautiful. We probably didn't need it.

We drove right up to the volcano while other tours had to park and walk. We loved being "special".

I thought we were going to have time to take a quick dip in the pool below the waterfall. But Yellow Bird so no. There were a lot of people (from other tours) jumping in but judging from their screams, I can only imagine the water must have been very COLD.

The time at Jalousie could have been longer. The snorkeling was great. Probably as good as our excursion with Eli's Eco tour on Antigua. We saw lots of fish as well as a barracuda and squid. Nice, calm, safe waters to snorkel in. Rental fee for the snorkel equipment: $11. Also, to enter the water you have to go out over small rocks. If you have any water socks/shoes, bring them. Ouch, my sore feet.

The lines at Jalousie for the bathroom (at least the ladies) was long. It was expensive to rent lounge chairs (I think $20!!!). In light of the fact we were there for only 1 hour, we didn't do this. Just dropped a towel on the ground under a palm and called it home.

The "brew" along the way was terrific. Had a spiced rum shooter (oops, now I gave away the secret) that was delicious. Kinda like an after dinner drink. Cosol has you drink it before smelling it. If you smelled it first, you will know it is full of yummy spices.

Yellow bird stopped on the way up to order the fresh baked bread for our return to the ship. He brought a sample for us to try. Tempting and made the wait worth it. Even though you never have a formal lunch, there are many stops along the way to sample local food. The fish balls were the best.

This was a great tour. Let me know if anyone has any other questions. I would be happy to answer. I don't think you can go wrong booking with Cosol. Ask for Yellow Bird, although all Cosol's driver were very nice.

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread. I've booked with Cosol for the last week in Feb. Our ship, the Maasdam docks at 8 am and I was concerned we might be too late if the ship lets ship excursions leave first. It sounds like Cosol will wait for us since we've made the reservation. I am so excited about this and do appreciate everyone's posts. Thank you all!

We had the pleasure of touring with Cosol last week and I can say it was the best tour I have ever been on! We had to tender (4 ships in port) and were very nervous about getting to shore in time for the tour. Cosol was there greeting everyone with a large sign and quickly directed people to one of his seven vans. We were very lucky to have Cosol as our driver and we had a blast the entire day. We meet several of the other drivers at stops and they were all very cordial and friendly. We made many stops for snacks (bananas, cookies, bread and cheese) and were treated to a huge spread of island foods with unlimited water, soda, beer and rum punch. We made stops at the waterfall, botanical garden, an hour at the beach, banana field and many more stops for pictures.

I would highly recommend Cosol for a very comprehensive tour of the Island of St. Lucia. You will have an amazing day!

Debr

We were on Cosol's tour 2 weeks ago. We had Bumpy as our driver, and it was just our group of four. Bumpy was wonderful, and provided great insight to life on the island. Cosol was in the other van with 11 other people. The tour was terrific, one of the highlights of our cruise. We drove and ate our way through the beautiful island of St Lucia. This tour is well worth the $50 pp. You will love it!!!!!!!

Archived