Alaska: help me decide

dakrewser

We're thinking strongly of going back to Alaska next summer, and there are three different itineraries I'm looking at. Each includes stops in Juneau, Victoria and cruising Tracey Arm. It's the other two ports that differ:

1) Sitka and Skagway

2) Skagway and Ketchikan

3) Ketchikan and Sitka

We've been to all three before, and are leaning towards Sitka & Ketchikan, but I would like to hear what others think, especially about activities available (shopping, cultural sites, nature and scenery - lighthouses are good - are our favorites. No kayaking, mountain climbing or fishing, though.)

Thanks in advance!

I'm kinda partial to Skagway. Been there three times and need at least two more stops there to feel I'm seen/done everything there is to do.

I've taken the White Pass Railroad twice; on a clear day the view is spectacular.

I've gone through the museum and seen the film. Haven't been to any of the old-time shows or taken the old cars. I still need to walk through the cemetary.

I loved Ketchikan the first time, but by my last visit it was too tourist-y. Have to wonder what it's like by now.

I was disappointed in Sitka. With all that traffic the feeling of the Russian outpost didn't exist at all.

Whatever ports you go to in Alaska, though, it's always a special destination.

We would do Sitka and Skagway! We have done all 4 venues and find those 2 to be the most picturesque, most "Alaskan" of the 4 cities. Skagway is quite fun and the White Pass and Yukon Railroad is a "gotta do"! :)

Sitka is soooo beautiful, a wonderful little town that is very walkable and offers wonderful sealife adventures. (I witnessed a huge pod of humpbacks feasting on the local delicacies while my DH went fishing and caught 4 salmon and a 60 lb. halibut!!):eek: We will be eatting well for the winter as we had it flash frozen and sent home. :cool:

We have been to all these ports. We really like Skagway but want to sail on HAL out of Seattle so are stuck with going to Sitka instead.

I am hoping that HAL will have one of their ships will go to Skagway in the future.

We are stuck with going out of Seattle because of an illness my wife has. We like Princess but perfer HAL.

My preference would be Skagway and Ketchican. How can you go wrong with either one though:) :) :) I'm sure you have done the Railroad, but I bet it is one of those things you could see over and over again and never get tired of it. What a great dilema you have!!!!! Enjoy;)

Mary

...stuck with going to Sitka instead.
"Stuck" might be an unfortunate choice of words for Sitka; it's a very nice port to visit. I've been there three times (very fortunate to have sunny weather twice) and found varied things to do.

I certainly enjoyed the New Archangel Dancers, St. Michael's Church, the Bishop's House, the Sheldon Jackson Museum, and the totem park.

The sealife quest was wonderful! I saw a pair of bald eagles, the cutest otters, seals and sea lions, and enough whales to make the day.

It's not anywhere close to my favorite port in Alaska, and look how I've gone on about it! Imagine how I'd rave about the ports I prefer.

My preference would be Skagway and Ketchican. How can you go wrong with either one though:) :) :) I'm sure you have done the Railroad, but I bet it is one of those things you could see over and over again and never get tired of it. What a great dilema you have!!!!! Enjoy;)

Mary

We did do the Y&WP railroad, and in a swirling snowstorm. It was fantastic! I wouldn't want to do it again, because it might disappoint. The city of Skagway itself reminded us more of a shopping center (one of those ersatz "street scene" things like Disneyland/World or San Jose's Santana Row) than a real city. But I am willing to be convinced otherwise...

-dave

Archived