Which Phillip Island/Penguin Parade and Wildlife Tour?

swdke

Being a Melbournite we have always used our car to go down to Phillip Island but if I were to pick a tour company I would go with AAT Kings as they are very reliabe and sell a good product.

Here is their website: http://www.aatkings.com/au/index.php?brochure_id=2350&region_tour_id=2413&gclid=CLPrvuuu8pACFQE-bwodKkdq0g

It is an enjoyable day out remembering that the penguins do not arrive until dusk which is around 7-7.30pm in November, daylight saving is in force then so it could be a little later. You will not return to Melbourne to well after 9pm.

Jennie

Being a Melbournite we have always used our car to go down to Phillip Island but if I were to pick a tour company I would go with AAT Kings as they are very reliabe and sell a good product.

Here is their website: http://www.aatkings.com/au/index.php?brochure_id=2350&region_tour_id=2413&gclid=CLPrvuuu8pACFQE-bwodKkdq0g

It is an enjoyable day out remembering that the penguins do not arrive until dusk which is around 7-7.30pm in November, daylight saving is in force then so it could be a little later. You will not return to Melbourne to well after 9pm.

Jennie

Thank you for your reply about Phillip Island. I am open to renting a car and driving, and not necessarily taking a car. I do have a question about viewing the penguins. I've seen photos where there seems to be a large area of seating near the beach u a hillside, and I've seen photos of a boardwalk and the penguins right along the boardwalk. So, from the few photos I've seen, it seems the boardwalk offers a closer view. Is this correct? And if so, where is this boardwalk area? I guess what I am really asking is where would I need to go to get the closest to view the penguins? Thank you.

Steve

Since I see you're from Melbourne, I'd also like to ask about the Great Ocean Road. I see that some tours offer this in a day, and I've also read that this should be done in a rental car vs. a tour, and that you need more than a day. I understand the road is about 66 miles, but maybe this is wrong, and that it's a slow going road with a lot of turns. With so many tours, and obvious places to stop, I can understand that the 66 miles can be a full day, but from messages I've read, they recommend two or even three nights along the road. I don't understand how such a drive can be stretched out to 1 or two nights. I guess from the sounds of it, it reminds me of the Road to Hana on the island of Maui in Hawaii. It too is about a 60 mile road full of curves, and granted, as beautiful as the road is, it certainly is a lot to go there and and back in a day. But in this case with the Great Ocean road, I read that there is a quicker inland road that can get you back to Melbourne faster. Therefore, I don't understand what there is to see and do that this drive would require an overnight. Can you fill me in? Thanks.

Steve

Having a car in the Melbourne area is great if you are going to be around for a while. We drove all over the area including the great ocean road, Ballart, the Yarra Valley, as well as the Penguin Parade (it was pretty cold the night we went). My only regret was not having more time in the area and I look forward to returning.

If the drive down the great ocean road, you should at least go as far as 12 apostles. The road is more open and reminds me more of highway 1 in CA than the trip to Hana. However it takes at more than 4 hours if memory serves me correctly. Look at at one of the internet mapping sites or I'm sure Aussie Gal can help with the specifics.

With regard to the Great Ocean Road, the drive from Melbourne to Geelong and on to Lorne will take you just over 2 and a bit hours. Lorne is 90 miles from Melbourne. The road from Anglesea starts to become windy and you can only travel at 80km an hour. That is the speed limit along the road. Lorne is a great place to stop where you can stretch your legs and have a look around and perhaps have a coffee before continuing on.

The next stretch between Lorne and Apollo Bay is very windy and will take you at least an hour or more. There are places to pull over and look at the view which is awesome as you are right on the cliff face and you look directly down to the sea. You need to be very careful on this stretch of the road especially if you are not used to driving on the left hand side of road as it is quite narrow and you will be on the side nearest the sea.

I read yesterday that more International and Interstate drivers are involved in accidents on the Great Ocean Road than anyone else. They get off a plane and decide to do the drive within a day and are just not up to it. So if you have any doubts whether you can do it, then rethink it through.

By this time it will be lunchtime and you will still have a long way to go before you get to the 12 Apostles. If it were me and I had the time, I would be stopping the night here before continuing on as Apollo Bay is a lovely seaside town with lots of good restaurants and plenty of accommodation.

If you continue on, then you will drive to Lavers Hill which is quite a windy road going inland and passing lots of farms. Lavers Hill is very green as it receives the most rain in all of our State. This will take about 45 minutes. From Lavers Hill it is still about 30 minutes or so before you finally come to the 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. Here you need to leave your car in the carpark and walk across the road and down to the viewing area.

After leaving here, you still haven't reached Port Campbell, Warrnambool and Port Fairy. From Port Campbell if you don't want to continue on you can go north and reach the highway which will take you back to Melbourne, but it is a good 3 hours or more drive back. Warrnambool is a lovely city on the sea and Port Fairy is a very historic seaside town which I would recommend you visit if you have the time.

From Warrnambool you can return to Melbourne on the Princes Highway or go north to visit our Grampian Mountains and join the Western Highway and return to Melbourne via Ballarat. That would take at least another day or so.

To sum it up, it is a very windy road in parts, it reminds me a lot of the Amalfi Coast road though not as dangerous or as narrow. It does take time to do and it cannot be rushed otherwise you lose out on the beauty of the area. There is a lot to see along the way and you can spend days just meandering along as there are some great walks to be done in the Otways which come right down to the sea along parts of the road.

You also need to appreciate how the road was made with picks and shovels by the returned soldiers from the First World War, who when arriving back home, found they had no jobs so were given this almost impossible task to build a road from the mountains. The road was 75 years old last year.

When I was a child, it was a very narrow road and in some parts was only a single lane so cars had to back up to let others pass.

Jennie

Thank you for your reply about Phillip Island. I am open to renting a car and driving, and not necessarily taking a car. I do have a question about viewing the penguins. I've seen photos where there seems to be a large area of seating near the beach u a hillside, and I've seen photos of a boardwalk and the penguins right along the boardwalk. So, from the few photos I've seen, it seems the boardwalk offers a closer view. Is this correct? And if so, where is this boardwalk area? I guess what I am really asking is where would I need to go to get the closest to view the penguins? Thank you.

Steve

Steve,

I am sorry I misread your question. There is only one Penguin Parade and that is run by the Authorities at Phillip Island. I thought you were wanting to know how to get there.

I have just gone into a website put out by the Authorities who run the Penguin Parade and from what I can gather the Boardwalk is the place to be but you need to book it.

When we were there years ago, it wasn't like it is now. They have improved it for the penguins whereas we were allowed to go up close to them but in later years they realized that the public would be detrimental to the welfare of the penguins. By the way, no flash photography is allowed. I have seen Japanese tourists having to give up their cameras whilst there and they weren't very happy. Of course they were given back at the end of the parade

Here is the site: http://www.penguins.org.au/files/phillip-island-promo-brochure.pdf

Jennie

When we were there years ago, it wasn't like it is now. They have improved it for the penguins whereas we were allowed to go up close to them but in later years they realized that the public would be detrimental to the welfare of the penguins. http://www.penguins.org.au/files/phillip-island-promo-brochure.pdf

Jennie, thank you for the information. To clariy, are people no longer to walk on a boardwalk up close to the penguins? Thanks.

Steve,

From reading the information I sent you, you are allowed on the Boardwalk to watch the penguins. You just have to book it ahead of time.

When we visited years ago, there was no Boardwalk or Viewing Stands. We just had to sit on the beach in a roped off area and watch them waddle in. It is completely different now. Page 3 of that link tells you all about it and I have just read tha no cameras or videos are allowed at all. Wear warm clothing because it can get very cool at night. The winds are what make it cold.

Jennie

Hi Steve,

There is a specific seating and viewing area for the Penguin Parade. Once the show is over, you walk back up the boardwalk to the main shop area. You will see the penguins walking back to their nests and they go under the boardwalk that you are on.

They are no more than a foot or two away from you.

Try to get there early to get a front row seat. It takes a while for them to come up the beach. First you see one or two. They go back into the water. Then a few more. I think they are checking out the area. After a bit you watch them all come waddling up the beach.

As Jenny said, no flash photography is allowed. Even in Summer, it gets very chilly there. Try and take a cushion to sit on as the concrete gets very cold under bum.

Cheers

Karen

• 1 month later...
The next stretch between Lorne and Apollo Bay is very windy and will take you at least an hour or more.

Jennie

Might be to late for you to benefit from the advice but Aussie Girl has it just right. may even be a bit optimistic.

We often holiday down this part of the world and have driven this stretch of road in numerous cars, Audi Quattro, Mercedes sports car, Toyota Kluger SUV. No matter how sporty the car I have never been able to get below an hour and a quarter on a light traffic day and I am not a slow driver. The trip down from Melbourne is slightly faster now that they seem to be bypassing parts of Geelong but the Great Ocean Road is not a good choice for a day excursion from a cruise ship. I often see the tour buses loading in Swanston Street, the middle of Melbourne, on my way to work at 7am. They are seldom back much before 7pm so check carefully on the timings for your cruise ship in Melbourne.

If you want to see Loch Ard Gorge or sights like the twelve ( I forget how many are left now) Apostles then your tour might not even travel along the most picturesque parts of the Great Ocean Road.

David

Jennie (or some other kind soul who can provide some assistance):

Thank you so much for the information on the Great Ocean Road in this post. Could I please impose upon you for just a little more help?

We are hiring a car and leaving Adelaide early on Mon., Mar 31. The plan is to stop at Apollo Bay that night. We will drive on to Melbourne on Tuesday, arriving there in the early evening.

Is this too ambitious? What route do you suggest we take from Adelaide? I have a very good road atlas of AU, but was wondering if we should take a more direct route, heading south to the coastline further east of Adelaide in order to save time.

I have so appreciated reading all of your helpful hints and am eager to begin our trip. We are leaving the US Mar. 4. Thanks,

Dear Steve

As Aussie Girl said there is a Penguin Parade website. We took some cruise friends who made it to Melbourne down there last Sunday night. Just to confirm a few changes:

1. Previously non-flash photography was allowed but the rule was often ignored. Now all photography is banned beyond the main building with both cameras and cell phones.

2. Previously there was only the one admission fee option for viewing, starting in the main building, walking down the boardwalks to two large concrete stepped viewing areas, almost on the beach.

Now there are several options. Most of the more expensive options have limited numbers and need to be booked ahead.

There is a new viewing area down a new board walk that only Penguin Plus people can use ( Max 150 people).

We did Private Group Penguins. There are three groups of about 8-10 people only. They give you a fold up padded beach chair, binoculars and headsets. The Guide walks with you and points out things to look at. We were seated on a reserved section of the beach just in front of the all the concrete steps. We had a good view along the beach both ways.

We were then taken to the Penguins Plus area. There were many penguins still coming up from the beach and along the small valley to their burrows. They stop several times to rest. Not that you are allowed to, or would want to (they bite!) but we could have reached out and touched them they were so close.

The penguins come up at heavy dusk so it can be pretty dark by the time you & they are finished. They (the guides - not the penguins!) turn the spotlights off after about 50 minutes to allow the less brave ones to come home.

Some wayward fellows come across the paths and also the car park (they are very determined critters).

Our American visitors were really surprised at the number that arrived. The Guide said about 800 penguins that night. It varies from night to night and on the season.

Aussie Girl mentioned the potential to be cold on the beach. Being near Melbourne, where we often have four seasons in one day, I always take extra coats & blankets just in case of cold, wind or rain.

There are two other options for penguin viewing. One is very limited in numbers and includes viewing from inside the watch tower that looks over the beach - out of the weather but a bit detached from the experience.

The other option was called Eco Penguins (I think). It incuded your own guide and a walk to your own beach further along the coast in a very small group. This included a head spotlight each i think. Good option if you are not a crowd person.

For wildlife - there is now a seperate wildlife park also on Phillip Island. Previously there were only treed areas with koalas asleep a long way up the trees. I believe the wildlife park has a raised tree top board walk to get close to the koalas as well as other Aussie animals (who are not up the trees!). It is illegal in Victoria and New South Wales for wildlife parks to do Koala Cuddling. If you happen to be going to Brisbane or the Gold Coast the parks up in Queensland were still allowing it last time I was there.

Some other options for Melbourne include Puffing Billy - our USA friends enjoyed that, and in particular the Mountain Ash tree & Fern forests around Belgrave.

Hope this is helful.

Yours

CJ

Susierailroad,

I do believe that your plan is too ambitious. First of all the best way to approach Apollo Bay is to use the Princes Highway and come via Warrnambool and then drive south from Colac. The only problem with this is that you will miss the Twelve Apostles and the beautiful scenic drive from Port Campbell to Apollo Bay.

Secondly, it is a very long drive between Adelaide and Apollo Bay. Can you spend a night between the two destinations as you then could drive down to Port Campbell from Camperdown and Timboon and take the Great Ocean Road to Apollo Bay and then continue along it next morning to Melbourne. We have driven to Mount Gambier from Adelaide in one day and that was a fair drive, or you could stay in Coonawarra amongst our wonderful vineyards that make our best reds. Another place to aim for would be Portland which is large town where our sheep are exported to the Middle East.

Have a look at your map and see if any of these towns are feasible. It is a long drive between Melbourne and Adelaide along the Princes Highway - 911 miles so I would be aiming probably for Portland, Port Fairy which is a beautiful spot and well worth staying overnight. or even Warrnambool and then be fresh for your trip along the Great Ocean Road.

Here is a link I found for the towns between Adelaide and Melbourne:

http://www.wilmap.com.au/stripmaps/adelmelb1.html

If you stop in Robe for lunch, please have one of our crayfish (lobster). They are the best in the world and so big!

If you have any more questions please ask away as your trip will soon be here.

Jennie

• 1 month later...

We're back from our month-long AU, NZ trip. It was fantastic . As info, we did the great ocean road from Adelaide to Melbourne, staying only one night (in Pt. Campbell), and managed to stop at all the major points, each one more beautiful than the previous. Although two nights would have allowed for more stops and been far preferable, at least we got to make the trip.

By the way, we loved Adelaide and wished we had more than two nights there.

The people in both AU and NZ were amazing--so friendly, helpful and fun, a delight to be with. (The only exception was a cab driver, a guy from India, who had been in AU 9 months, who was insulting regarding the US.)

I want to thank you again for all your assistance and helping to make our journey go more smoothly.

Archived