Tips must be taken away from the cabin steward.

I just wish the cruise lines would call it what it is - when the "tip" is added to the bill it's no longer a tip - it's an additional charge or supplementing the staff's wages - especially if you're encouraged to tip over the automatic tip. I'd be perfectly happy paying the extra charge to have the staff paid accordingly and then I'd be free to tip accordingly. But if they want to play with words and try to make people think that this automatically paid amount is a tip then so be it - but they're not fooling me.

I don't know if I'm getting more picky in my old age, but it seems to me that service had decreased since the prepaid tips started. Bribing the staff early in the cruise with early tips helps some. I DO tip when the service is above average - which is what I thougth tipping was meant to be.

well, here's a twist on tipping. Since this new fuel surcharge came about, more folks are finding the tipping issue even more "unfair". A person in our group of 40 doesn't quite get the pre-tipping to get it out of way, and now plans on removing some of the tip when it comes time to settle up the S&S card. So, the tipped will get even less, and suffer more. I know I know. the fuel surcharge is another thread. To me, it's something you should plan for, like when you go out, you should factor in the parking fees and sitter as well as the meal and movie. If you will not/can not look at the whole picture, and are always looking for the cheapest wayout, why are you cruising? Kind of takes the fun out of it.:rolleyes:

1,321 posts ago you were a newbie too. Cut them some slack...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#11

Guess what? I happen to moderate a discussion board elsewhere.

We lock duplicate threads.

And before I joined here, I read lots and lots and lots and lots of threads.

And when I had questions, I did a search. I read existing threads. I hunted down answers first.

So, you can please just cut me some slack for getting tired of the same old, same old!

Back to the subject at hand...

People, just because it's put on your S&S card doesn't mean it's an automatic charge! Please read Carnival's FAQ on the subject. They tell you, in black & white, that the tips may be adjusted.

That means they're tips. They aren't service charges which cannot be removed. Just because they're added to the bill doesn't mean they can't be removed, added to or reduced!

Why is this so very difficult for people to undertsand?

What's difficult to understand is reading that there are people worrying about tips before service is rendered, even worse when it's before their cruise.

If the survey is right where 92% of the people that remove their tips don't tip at all, chances are that particular poster will not be tipping.

I think the auto-tip is just for showing up and doing the basic.

They can share that tip, it's part o their job description. But that said, I can't think of one occasion that I didn't get better servise than "basic."

Enter, personal tips. Cash tips. If they did a great job and everything went well and I was happy, the room clean, the food served warm, etc. I give them an equal amount to the auto-tip.

HOWEVER, if someone went above and beyond, remembered my name, brought extra ice, made great towel animals, gave me two mints, brought a second lobster without asking, etc.... Then they get even more!

These people are part of the family for a week. They know my intimate details. They see my dirty clothes, they know how much I eat and drink, they see me again day after day and still they treat me well, help with the door, bring those extra calories, and 'love' me in there own way! If they're motivated by a tip -- that's fine! I can reward it!!!

TIP GENEROUSLY!!!

Besides, if you crusie a lot, you may see them again!! They may be taking care of you in the future.

yes, $5.50 goes to the dining room crew

$1.00 goes to the Bistro.

SO thats the whole $10

Where are the others getting their tips?From the Stewards $3.50?

Your info comes from a head hunter, so that's a question.

Every cruise line does tips and salaries their own way, so that's another question.

How does Carnival do it, is an important question.

The total is $10. pppd including all the people that serve you, is that worth a question?

Dan

What's difficult to understand is reading that there are people worrying about tips before service is rendered, even worse when it's before their cruise.

If the survey is right where 92% of the people that remove their tips don't tip at all, chances are that particular poster will not be tipping.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Dan

I would like to know how much of the Cabin Steward's "Pool" is getting split amongst all the supervisory staff??

In a Service Pool system (and legal) here in the USA, we can charge an auto gratuity and set aside 10% for Salaried Staff in that department and another 10% to pay for overtime.

If the pool system works the same way on Carnival, then I'm not opposed to possibly 20% of my tips going to the "up aboves." If it's more than that, then my tips really aren't going to my Cabin Steward and the Assistant at all.

I would like to know how much of the Cabin Steward's "Pool" is getting split amongst all the supervisory staff??

In a Service Pool system (and legal) here in the USA, we can charge an auto gratuity and set aside 10% for Salaried Staff in that department and another 10% to pay for overtime.

If the pool system works the same way on Carnival, then I'm not opposed to possibly 20% of my tips going to the "up aboves." If it's more than that, then my tips really aren't going to my Cabin Steward and the Assistant at all.

On the Miracle I became buddies with my Steward (he was the BEST!!!)... we talked about the new tipping system, which he said most preferred... and unless he told me a lie, he gets the full tip that is allocated by each cabin he serviced, he does share it with his "team" (assistant, etc) And he also mentioned that with this new system the money was automatically put into his account so his family back home could access it (not sure of the specifics), so he didn't have to worry about mailing money home... Someone on here mentioned a few weeks ago that they thought there were "administrative fees" removed from the S&S amounts... several people inquired with Carnival and found that not to be the case... so I do believe that they keep the tips that are set aside for them...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#11

Guess what? I happen to moderate a discussion board elsewhere.

We lock duplicate threads.

And before I joined here, I read lots and lots and lots and lots of threads.

And when I had questions, I did a search. I read existing threads. I hunted down answers first.

So, you can please just cut me some slack for getting tired of the same old, same old!

Back to the subject at hand...

People, just because it's put on your S&S card doesn't mean it's an automatic charge! Please read Carnival's FAQ on the subject. They tell you, in black & white, that the tips may be adjusted.

That means they're tips. They aren't service charges which cannot be removed. Just because they're added to the bill doesn't mean they can't be removed, added to or reduced!

Yet YOU are here posting on the umpteenth incarnation of a tipping thread. Maybe YOU should use your own system of "locking out" that you use on your other board and "ignore" these multiples of threads!

(And I'm no fan of CCC1-7, yet in this case this is an informative thread!)

I do understand this - and probably wouldn't even think about it if they would ASK me if they could add the tips instead of adding them and making ME do something extra to have them taken off.

I also agree with the previous post stating that the automatic tip is for BASIC service. I wouldn't remove this tip unless I was terribly unhappy with some service - which I don't see happening. I will tip extra for extraordinary service, but if our next cruise is anything like our last there won't be a lot of extra tipping happening.

Previous cruises the waiter remembered after the 2nd or 3rd day that I drank a lot of coffee (I drink coffee before, during and after meals) - didn't have to ask. Our last cruise I had to ask for coffee at each meal - even the last day. Previous cruises we had towel scuptures each day, ice stocked * bed turned down when we returned after dinner. Last cruise we had to find the steward to ask for ice, had one or 2 towel scuptures on a 7 day cruise and never had the bed turned down. The last cruise was the first we've taken since they've started the automatic tipping and if this is what it's done to service I wanna go back to the old way. Like I said I won't remove the automatic tip unless I get less than basic service - which to me means a clean room and the food I ordered. That's exactly what we got last time.

Yet YOU are here posting on the umpteenth incarnation of a tipping thread. Maybe YOU should use your own system of "locking out" that you use on your other board and "ignore" these multiples of threads!

Sweet!:D

Well said! Why do people even bother opening the thread if all they plan to do is berate the OP?

I do understand this - and probably wouldn't even think about it if they would ASK me if they could add the tips instead of adding them and making ME do something extra to have them taken off.

I also agree with the previous post stating that the automatic tip is for BASIC service. I wouldn't remove this tip unless I was terribly unhappy with some service - which I don't see happening. I will tip extra for extraordinary service, but if our next cruise is anything like our last there won't be a lot of extra tipping happening.

Previous cruises the waiter remembered after the 2nd or 3rd day that I drank a lot of coffee (I drink coffee before, during and after meals) - didn't have to ask. Our last cruise I had to ask for coffee at each meal - even the last day. Previous cruises we had towel scuptures each day, ice stocked * bed turned down when we returned after dinner. Last cruise we had to find the steward to ask for ice, had one or 2 towel scuptures on a 7 day cruise and never had the bed turned down. The last cruise was the first we've taken since they've started the automatic tipping and if this is what it's done to service I wanna go back to the old way. Like I said I won't remove the automatic tip unless I get less than basic service - which to me means a clean room and the food I ordered. That's exactly what we got last time.

I think the problem was your steward. We have only cruised with auto tipping and our stewards have always been visible, made towel animals, turned down the bed, provided ice everyday, etc. And in the Dining Room, our waiters remember us and what we like. You think possibly, it was just that one cruise and not because of auto tipping since they all know you can remove the tips if service is bad?

I would never dream of removing the auto-tip. If your room steward didn't turn down your bed and you want to remove the $10pppd, then you are essentially shafting the wait staff, the buffet staff etc. I consider the auto-tip to be part of the cost of the cruise. Just like an advertised cruise cost is $xxx plus taxes, port fees, fuel surcharges etc, the auto-tip is a plus up too.

However, if I get my bed turned down every night, a towel animal every day, mints on my pillow, bathroom cleaned, ice in my bucket, my room steward will get an extra $20+ for the service depending on number of days of the cruise. Same for wait staff. If they remember me and what I want, they will get extra just like in a regular restaurant. When you go to a local restaurant and they look over you instead of at your table, they aren't refilling your glass/cup before its empty etc, then they aren't very attentive and won't get a 20% tip. Thats just the way I see it.

To the poster that wondered if extra tips are pooled the answer is no unless the auto-tip is removed. If you remove the auto-tip, then they are required to pool the money for all the services is what I understand. But if you paid the auto-tip, and decide to tip extra to your steward, the steward keeps that money.

In what way is this an informative Carnival thread?

CCC1+'s info is generic [not Carnival specific] and it is derived from a headhunter who's ONLY intention is to recruit workers and make a fee.

There is no stipulation that anything said by the recruiter is in any way true.

To answer the question of where the head of housekeeping gets his/her tips, one need only to look at a cruiseline [not Carnival] where ALL tips are pooled to be shared by ALL service people. Some lines do it that way.

This thread is a tempest in a teapot about nothing at all and it lacks even a single fact.

Dan

This thread is a tempest in a teapot about nothing at all and it lacks even a single fact.

Dan

You are absolutely right Dan......people tend to believe everything they read on here.....

The OP's post lacks fact just as much as the post below;)

Neither one should be any of our business anyways......

To the poster that wondered if extra tips are pooled the answer is no unless the auto-tip is removed. If you remove the auto-tip, then they are required to pool the money for all the services is what I understand. But if you paid the auto-tip, and decide to tip extra to your steward, the steward keeps that money.

There is a breakdown somewhere here on the Carnival boards that I read. Out of the $10/pd/pp, only $3.50/pd/pp goes to room steward. The $10 tip is broken down between various staff including waiters, buffet staff etc. They all get some. If you think your waiter or room steward deserves more than $3.50, give it to them in cash. They'll appreciate it.

I always make sure to locate my room steward on the last night of the cruise. I thank him/her and hand an extra $10-20 depending on the length of the cruise and the service. They are the hardest working people on the ship. They start early in the morning and are still running well into the night.

Hi,

We always keep the tips on our S&S, and give extra to most. Most of these people are only working on the cruise ships to send the money home. We think of the work they do, the hours they put in and the crap they put up with. We always give alittle note of thanks and extra cash. As the old saying goes " Do unto others as you would have done unto you". We once got a Christmas Card and a thank you note from a Carnival worker, I was so amazed that they did that. It was sent to my home.

Brenda

If you're a cabin steward, and you make $2000 a month, that's $500 a week. You don't pay any rent and your meals are free. Now, the life of a steward must be hard, the hours are long, they're always working, and they deserve a tip. But money wise, that's not too bad. They put more $$ in the bank than me!:p

In what way is this an informative Carnival thread?

CCC1+'s info is generic [not Carnival specific] and it is derived from a headhunter who's ONLY intention is to recruit workers and make a fee.

There is no stipulation that anything said by the recruiter is in any way true.

To answer the question of where the head of housekeeping gets his/her tips, one need only to look at a cruiseline [not Carnival] where ALL tips are pooled to be shared by ALL service people. Some lines do it that way.

Dan

It's more informative than what CCC normally posts.

Archived