For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

rta: I just booked a Christmas cruise, well sorry, just got off a Christmas cruise and I would say:

40-50% Puerto Rican

20-25% Canadian (a LOT of Canadians on this ship...they get really cheap fares to PR)

20-25% American

10% European/other

Just off Celebrity Millennium out of San Juan. I'd say our ship had about the same percentages. Guess it's not necessarily an Adventure thing....but any ship departing from San Juan? Is it really like this week after week on ships department from San Juan? My only complaint was that some of entertainment revolved around them (Spanish music and Spanish comedians) and they seemed to gather in large groups when/where Spanish music was being played and if you weren't from Puerto Rico you were really out of place. I didn't necessarily find them to be the rudest passengers on the ship....they left that up to the rest of the snobs. We are planning a B2B out of San Juan in the next year or so, so with our most recent experience there shouldn't be any surprises in store for us. The most attractive itineraries depart from San Juan....so here we come!

Just off Celebrity Millennium out of San Juan. I'd say our ship had about the same percentages. Guess it's not necessarily an Adventure thing....but any ship departing from San Juan? Is it really like this week after week on ships department from San Juan? My only complaint was that some of entertainment revolved around them (Spanish music and Spanish comedians) and they seemed to gather in large groups when/where Spanish music was being played and if you weren't from Puerto Rico you were really out of place. I didn't necessarily find them to be the rudest passengers on the ship....they left that up to the rest of the snobs. We are planning a B2B out of San Juan in the next year or so, so with our most recent experience there shouldn't be any surprises in store for us. The most attractive itineraries depart from San Juan....so here we come!

Quick question for you: would you have been ok if the situation was reversed and all the music, comedy etc catered to "Americans" and there were Puerto Ricans onboard feeling out of place? It baffles me that people even view this as an issue: this is their home port, just like NYers have their own port, Floridians, etc. And as a Puerto Rican ... or should I say an AMERICAN who has traveled extensively all over the world I'm wildly offended by a lot of the discussion that is going on in this thread.

I'm also curious to know how you got the Canadian percentage without actually seeing some sort of document: how do Canadians stand out from Americans?

We have sailed out of San Juan many times..

Adventure 3 times - What we found with the Adventure and PR folks onboard the Adventure was this...Very LOUD, party people...lots of very young PR folks that lacked manners in general.

On Celebrity Summit we had a lot of PR folks onboard but they tended to be older and were VERY VERY polite, mannerly, but we enjoyed watching them when they were together cause they always seemed to be having a wonderful time.

We sailed out of San Juan on a Princess Cruise (the Crown I think it was) a few years ago, our first, and basically experienced the same type of behavior as we did on the Adventure.

I think so much of it has to do with the age of the passengers...not just those from PR but in general. It appears to me that children in general, all over the United States, are not being taught good manners, respect for others, table etiquette, good public behavior, etc.

Do I let the american/spanish announcements ruin my cruise? Do I get upset because they have Latin nights, and other activities geared toward the majority of the passengers? Apparently I don't cause I would book a Southern Caribbean Cruise out of SJ in a heartbeat....just gotta go with the flow. :)

Happy Southern Caribbean Cruising!!!

Is it just me (probably is...) or does anyone else find all of this talk about Puerto Ricans on the ship just a bit strange? Let's see...the ship leaves from San Juan. I don't recall seeing discussions about how many Floridians are on ships leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Just sayin'...

When I started this thread a few years back, I started it with the sole purpose of informing those who were "worried" about sailing on the AOS for various reasons, what sailing on the AOS was really like.....at least from my perspective.

I believe that when I started this thread I had sailed the AOS 3 times. Exactly 2 weeks from today, I will embark on the AOS for the 9th time, and since it is a B2B, I will complete my 10th cruise on this ship on February 27th.

Over the past few years, this thread has continued to survive because of all the people who have sailed on this amazing ship and come back to share their stories :) Of course not every single cruise experience is perfect, there are bound to be glitches and maybe even some disappointments, but out of all the folks who have posted to this thread.....there may be 2 who won't sail out of SJ again.

Once again I will remind all future cruisers that this ship sails out of Puerto Rico - does it seem that strange that many of the passengers are Puerto Rican? Honestly, at this point in this thread -after all that has been said on the subject - it is getting infuriating that some people are still referring to Puerto Ricans as if they are of a different class and that people sailing with them should be forewarned :mad:

Like I said in my very first post - and the same is true today - I find absolutely no difference sailing with a large group of Puerto Ricans than I do sailing with a large group of Americans.....I'm Canadian, but I think Puerto Rico is considered part of the U.S?

One of the things I love most about sailing on the AOS out of San Juan is how "lively" the ship is - I attribute this to the cultural make up of the passengers :) I have sailed on several other ships, but have never seen as many countries represented as on this ship. I get this information when the Captain addresses the passengers from the bridge on the Royal Promenade on every cruise at the welcome aboard reception.

I appreciate the opinions of everyone as no two cruises or cruisers are alike, but pointing fingers at people from Puerto Rico needs to stop. I think after 8 cruises on this ship I am in a position to say that never once has any of my cruises been impacted by anything passenger related. Bottom line is: If you don't like sharing a "home" for a week with people from all over the world - maybe cruising isn't for you?

"nuf said.

Now if only we could do something about all those Canadians...:eek:

Just kidding.

I actually have fond memories of our stay at an all-inclusive in the DR two years ago when we met a group of folks from Toronto who, when they found out we were originally from Milwaukee, assumed we were cheesehead-wearing big drinkers. Okay, they had that correct...but anyway, they thought it would be fun to see who could handle the most drinks at the pool bar. After about three hours of imbibing almost every concoction the bartender knew how to make, we had to admit that the Canadians drank us under the...uh, pool bar. The next three hours were spent re-tasting all those drinks as they came back up. Ah, memories...but gotta love those Canadians. :o

Robyn, you are correct, people born on the island of Puerto Rico are American citizens: The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is what the island is technically called. In fact, Puerto Ricans have been considered American citizens since 1917.

I'd also like to thank you for your commentary, like Gunther (sp?), and am glad I am not the only one who was a little shocked by the blatant bigotry in this thread. I'm just surprised it went on for as long as it did.

Robyn, you are correct, people born on the island of Puerto Rico are American citizens: The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico is what the island is technically called. In fact, Puerto Ricans have been considered American citizens since 1917.

I'd also like to thank you for your commentary, like Gunther (sp?), and am glad I am not the only one who was a little shocked by the blatant bigotry in this thread. I'm just surprised it went on for as long as it did.

Jessica - it has been going on for as long as this thread has been around. I started this thread to try and put an end to it....:rolleyes:

OK ... so lets move on from the citizenship discussion ... More important things to discuss - like "We are all there to have a good time" This is my first cruise and it didn't even cross my mind about how many people & from what country were going to be on the ship.

I would like to know apprroximately what time boarding starts. My pass says not to arrive before 2 but I land at 10:30 in the morning - Can I take a taxi from the airport straight to the pier or should I go find something to do before boarding ? (luggage in tow) Thanks

On January 2, we boarded at noon, no problem.

If you've never been to PR before and are just using San Juan as turnaround for your cruise (i.e. you are going right back to the airport after the cruise ends), and because you have so much time before the ship actually departs, I would suggest having your taxi driver take you on a tour through Old San Juan before boarding the ship.

You'll probably only add $20 or $30 to the taxi fare by doing this, and San Juan taxicabs are very convenient for this purpose, since 99% of them are actually huge vans, so they will hold both you and your luggage quite comfortably while seeing a bit of Old San Juan.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Would it be possible for a Canadian to make a 10:00 am flight out . we have never sailed RC before do they do immigration onboard the morning of disembarking like Princess and Carnival. Do they have walk off disembarking where you carry your own luggage off?

Is it just me (probably is...) or does anyone else find all of this talk about Puerto Ricans on the ship just a bit strange? Let's see...the ship leaves from San Juan. I don't recall seeing discussions about how many Floridians are on ships leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Just sayin'...

Yes, this subject does seem to come up over and over so I will re-post this one more time....

The I love sailing out of San Juan. It is my favorite departure port for many different reasons. And one of those reasons happens to be the Puerto Rican people. They are of latin culture so yes they can be boiserous, they love their music, and sometimes you may think that they are not quite sure what the purpose of a line is. However, they are also very kind and generous and will go out of their way to try and help you if you need it. And they do love to have fun when they are on vacation. I have also found them to be a very inclusive people. If you show any interest in hanging out with them and taking part in their cuture and ways, they are more than happy to include you in their group and activities. And yes, they speak spanish. Get over it. Why should they feel obligated to speak english just to appease other cruisers on the ship? The Puerto Ricans are paying customers just like the folks who speak english, or any other language, as a first language. They are not paid crew who are there to take care of the english speaking guests.

I traveled pretty extensively when I was a kid and one thing I always enjoyed was hanging out with people from different countries and cultures. I can stay home and hang out with Americans. The great thing about cruising is having so many nationalities, and cultures, represented in one place. Try embracing the latino culture while you are aboard Adventure and maybe, just maybe, when you return home you will look back on your time aboard this ship and realize just how special, and unique, your time on her was.

I may be cruising on the AOS next December (2011). Will all the tv's be updated to flat panels ? I know that's a nipicky question, I'm just a geek.lol. Also, from what I understand, the ship drydocked in 09.

Were there improvements/upgrades at that time? Thanks!

ROBYN, can u plz take some random pics on formal night for me:D i want to see

some of the dresses & outfits. i have a dress to die for but the DH thinks its too formal for the ship.....i just want to have an idea.....thanks

You don't ever have to worry about feeling too formal. You will see everything from tuxes and ball gowns to the casually dressed and everything in between. The norm is usually dark suit and tie and a formal tea-length dress, but if you want to go really formal, you won't feel out of place unless you get table-mates that go casual, but that's their fault! You will also find loads of women in cocktail dresses as well.

then why do they appear on the RCI's Web Site for Adventurer?:confused:

Maybe for the same reason that for years RCI's website has said that the Voyager class ships have an enclosed covered solarium. Trust me, none of those things are on Adventure.

Robyn will back me up.;)

Just read your review and you seem to know a lot about the Adventurer of the Seas. I'm trying to locate the following restaurants on the ship:

Sorrento's, Seaview Cafe, Vin d'Italia and Latte-tudes. Can you help, they don't appear on the deck plans that I have, thanks...

None of these is on the Adventure (exactly as my trusty assistant Ocean Boy has already pointed out)

Sorrento's is on the Freedom

Seaview Cafe is on Radiance class ships

Not sure where the other 2 are, but they are not on the AOS!

I may be cruising on the AOS next December (2011). Will all the tv's be updated to flat panels ? I know that's a nipicky question, I'm just a geek.lol. Also, from what I understand, the ship drydocked in 09.

Were there improvements/upgrades at that time? Thanks!

A large majority of the TV's have been changed to flat screens, although I know that some inside and oceanview cabins still have the old style. To the best of my knowledge, all balcony cabins and suites have new TV's. I will confirm this when I am onboard in a few weeks.

Would it be possible for a Canadian to make a 10:00 am flight out . we have never sailed RC before do they do immigration onboard the morning of disembarking like Princess and Carnival. Do they have walk off disembarking where you carry your own luggage off?

No No No!

Do NOT book a flight at 10:00am :eek:

If anything goes wrong with clearing the ship for debarkation and you have a really early flight (like before noon) you are in big trouble!!!!!

Immigration is NOT done on the ship. You have to wait in lines in the customs hall at the terminal building.

Try and book for noon or after. Trust me on this one.

OK ... so lets move on from the citizenship discussion ... More important things to discuss - like "We are all there to have a good time" This is my first cruise and it didn't even cross my mind about how many people & from what country were going to be on the ship.

I would like to know apprroximately what time boarding starts. My pass says not to arrive before 2 but I land at 10:30 in the morning - Can I take a taxi from the airport straight to the pier or should I go find something to do before boarding ? (luggage in tow) Thanks

I am always at the port by 10:00am and we are always boarding by 11:30 or so. Pay no attention to what your cruise docs say - you will be eating lunch in the Windjammer by noon :p

then why do they appear on the RCI's Web Site for Adventurer?:confused:

Just checked and the original question was over the following venues: (Sorrento's, Seaview Cafe, Vin d'Italia and Latte-tudes), none of them are on Adventure and they are not on the deck plans either. Go to Royalcaribbean.com click on ships, Voyager Class, Adventure and then deck plans. Sometimes the confusion comes because Royal will have a mini-version of a venue on one ship and a full version on another, for instance, Adventure has a Jade that is a section of the Windjammer, but some ships have a full Jade restaurant. As far as the above venues though, there is no version on the Adventure. The Gravity Sports Bar on Adventure and Voyager, Explorer was replaced by Vin d'Italia on the 2 newer Voyager Class ships, Mariner and Navigator. Seaview Cafe is fantastic by the way, we loved it on our Serenade cruise out of San Juan this past May.

Also agree with Robyn above, don't book that 10:00am flight! Get to the port by 11:00am and enjoy the Windjammer!

Robyn --

Thank you for trying to put an end to the PR's onboard issue. I believe people could generalize (& have) about other groups as well based on place of origin or age. Nuf said at last!

Cookie great idea to have clothing pictures on formal night ... I too love to see what people wear! I go to late dinner & often find a place near the dining room to sit early to "people watch" .... what fun!

Robyn have a wonderful B2B (how could you not) & be looking for the pictures .... and anyother updates you can share.

Btw, Latte-tudes is the coffee shop on ships that do not have a royal promenade, (Voyager, Freedom, Oasis Class), which have Cafe Promenade instead of Latte-tudes. We had a Latte-tudes on our Serenade and Monarch cruises recently.

Archived