My Embarkation Tip

Richjoxyz

I cruised the Zuiderdam twice within the past three months. The first time I boarded I was directed to the Lido. It was PACKED! (It was the only time I felt crowded during my cruise.) Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise on the Zuiderdam, and that's why I went again so soon!

When I boarded the ship again, I remembered the “Lido Buffet Roller Derby” experience. So I avoided the Lido and went to the Windjammer Café. I was the only person there! While everyone else was elbowing his or her way through the Lido, I was relaxed, listening to music and eating lunch in the Windjammer. It was SO nice. I ate a nice selection of mini sandwiches, fruit dishes, croissants, cookies, danish, cappuccino, etc. Trust me...it was plenty of food, and made for a great meal for my first feeding of the week. With a week of Lido and Dinning Room feedings ahead of me, I didn’t feel deprived at all.

Just my little recommendation for eating lunch on Embarkation day.

I cruised the Zuiderdam twice within the past three months. The first time I boarded I was directed to the Lido. It was PACKED! (It was the only time I felt crowded during my cruise.) Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise on the Zuiderdam, and that's why I went again so soon!

When I boarded the ship again, I remembered the “Lido Buffet Roller Derby” experience. So I avoided the Lido and went to the Windjammer Café. I was the only person there! While everyone else was elbowing his or her way through the Lido, I was relaxed, listening to music and eating lunch in the Windjammer. It was SO nice. I ate a nice selection of mini sandwiches, fruit dishes, croissants, cookies, danish, cappuccino, etc. Trust me...it was plenty of food, and made for a great meal for my first feeding of the week. With a week of Lido and Dinning Room feedings ahead of me, I didn’t feel deprived at all.

Shhhhh !!!;)

Thanks for the tip. When the WJ is jammed on your next cruise, you will know why.:p

Stupid question ... what's the Windjammer Cafe? Is it that outdoor dining area where you can get pizza and stuff like that?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi Rich - WE had a great lunch in the dining room on embarkation day of our (and your) cruise! :D To my knowledge, the Zuiderdam and the Oosterdam are the only two ships serving lunch in the d.r. on embarkation day.

Stupid question ... what's the Windjammer Cafe? Is it that outdoor dining area where you can get pizza and stuff like that?
Only the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam still have the Windstar Cafe (Windjammers are on RCCL) and the Z will lose hers in April with the retrofit. The O will likewise follow in Apr 2009. On current Z and O, it is on the Lower Prom between the Atrium and the Art Gallery.

Only the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam still have the Windstar Cafe (Windjammers are on RCCL) and the Z will lose hers in April with the retrofit. The O will likewise follow in Apr 2009. On current Z and O, it is on the Lower Prom between the Atrium and the Art Gallery.

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't imagine what the OP was talking about.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hey, someone a couple of weeks ago said that the main dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day on some dam ships. I've never seen that or heard it before but then again, I have never been looking for it. And that's supposed to be a secret so if true, ..................I just let the cat out of the bag

... that the main dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day on some dam ships. I've never seen that or heard it before but then again, I have never been looking for it. And that's supposed to be a secret so if true, ..................I just let the cat out of the bag
Right, John. Just the Oosterdam and the Zuiderdam as far as I know. Too bad you missed it! :D

We were on the Noordam last month, and as we walked onto the ship, asked if the Vista Dining Room was open for lunch. A steward led us to the dining room. There were many people eating there, but it certainly wasn't crowded. It was about 12:15 P.M. We had a wonderful lunch overlooking the Hudson River. It was much more relaxing than eating in the Lido. I guess the key is to ask!

We were boarding the Noordam--in the initial crowd-- in Seattle in September and were steered right into the dining room,presented with a MENU--and had a lovely 3-course luncheon!! As I exclaimed that we were so happy to be seated in the DR, and that had never happened upon embarkation, the steward replied it was something new! We did go up to the Lido afterwards and saw it was jammed. I think they just did one seating on one floor of the DR. It was a most pleasant surprise!

I cannot remember ever having lunch in the DR on any HAL ship on embarkation day. I did once pass by and found the doors closed with a small group of people inside dining whom I assumed were T.A.s on a ship tour.

I have heard that anyone doing a back-to-back cruise gets an invite to lunch in the DR as a special perk.

I was on the Oosterdam and for the life of me, I cannot remember a Windstar cafe. :confused:
On the Zuiderdam it almost looks like it's a part of the atrium ... a half-dozen tables at most, with a counter at one end. Across the atrium from the Pinnacle Grill. Maybe you always looked that direction as you walked by? :confused: :D

On the Zuiderdam it almost looks like it's a part of the atrium ... a half-dozen tables at most, with a counter at one end. Across the atrium from the Pinnacle Grill. Maybe you always looked that direction as you walked by? :confused: :D

I remember. They had a couple of computers, too. Very small place.

Anyone know if the dining room is opened on the Mediterranean Noordam cruises?

I was on the Oosterdam and for the life of me, I cannot remember a Windstar cafe. :confused:

I was looking to see if I had maybe taken a pic of the Windstar Cafe and came up with this one. It is located on Lower Promenade Deck on starboard (right) side in between the Atrium and Explorers Lounge, This is the counter area where they make the specialty coffee's a la Starbucks

IMG_5736.jpg?t=1200631919

Archived