How do you dress for "smart casual?"

ltsally

If we can get back to clothing for a minute.....Living on the frozen tundra in January, unable to even remember what actual warmth feels like, and not having been anywhere 'tropical' in quite a few years, I'm feeling a bit 'dolt-ish'....so ladies, help me out here: Not in terms of 'smart/casual,' but say for a formal nite....is a black cocktail dress going to be too 'dark/wintry' for our Sea of Cortez journey in March? :) Will most women be in floaty/flowery sorts of things?

for a formal nite....is a black cocktail dress going to be too 'dark/wintry' for our Sea of Cortez journey in March?

That will be fine, especially if it's a bit glitzy, or you're wearing fabulous jewelry. A long black dress, of the really dressy variety, would also fit right in. "Formal" is formal, and black is one of those tried and true basics for formal nights.

If we can get back to clothing for a minute.....Living on the frozen tundra in January, unable to even remember what actual warmth feels like, and not having been anywhere 'tropical' in quite a few years, I'm feeling a bit 'dolt-ish'....so ladies, help me out here: Not in terms of 'smart/casual,' but say for a formal nite....is a black cocktail dress going to be too 'dark/wintry' for our Sea of Cortez journey in March? :) Will most women be in floaty/flowery sorts of things?

It depends upon the fabric. Forget the velvet. Other than this, you will see more variations of the little (and in my case, not so little) black dress, than than any other color, regrdless of when or where you cruise.

HI - I am back to the question of what do people consider "smart casual". I suppose most things fall in this category, but as we are from Seattle, smart casual to us may mean something entirely different than it means to someone from the east coast (I have heard we are much more casual here)

Thanks

So if there is a guy in shorts and a ball cap at dinner and I choose to wear jeans and t shirt, that makes it ok, simply because I am not the worst offender in the room?

IMO, the only truly appropriate attire is that which is specified by the cruise line. Individual interpretation or opinion is not the issue.

You must have had a hard time on your "no rules" tour in Tuscany then.

Appropriate is what I choose, at ~$300 a day or so, my taste are foremost, the maitre d' can learn to adjust to our ever changing world.

At 60 and retired for 5 years, I figure I know what's best for me...

I just had to comment on this thread b/c my mom, the veteran of over 50 sea days, had to ask what "smart casual" was & could she wear her $20 dressy T-shirts to dinner. And would her "Birks" be ok. I told her yes. She wears no shoes but them, even on formal nites b/c of some foot problems. She'll wear the silver ones those nites!

One formal nite I'm wearing my $12.50 tank top & $5.00 black skirt. Now before anyone gets wide-eyed, both of those were marked-down silk holiday clothing! (I never pay full retail!) A lovely, water-color silk & lace, short kimono jacket will complete the ensemble. I will have to convince the DH to not wear the Mickey Mouse patterned bowtie & cumberbund set w/ his tux.

At least it isn't a peach tux like we saw on one recent cruise! Honest, shades of the '70s....frilly shirt & all.....

You must have had a hard time on your "no rules" tour in Tuscany then.

Appropriate is what I choose' date=' at ~$300 a day or so, my taste are foremost, the maitre d' can learn to adjust to our ever changing world. [/color']

My "No Rules" tour is this fall and I expect to have no clothing issues;).

I always thank the maitre'd when he asks people to leave when not dressed appropriately thereby maintaining some level of formality in the dining room. Adapting to the lowest common denominator is not something to aspire to.

There are choices in cruise lines - IF you choose to sail with a line, you SHOULD respect its dress code. YOUR taste, no matter how much you pay per day for your holiday, is beside the point. The cruise line establishes the standards that its commercial strategy dictates and if it does not fit your taste, then choose another line.

There are those (like myself) who choose a line, in part, because of its standards. When others selfishly ignore those and do their own thing, they ARE taking something away from me. Should a line choose to alter its code (allowing jeans, etc.) and make this known to all, then we all can have an equal opportunity to re-direct our purchasing power.

As for the peach tux, while I too would find it laughable, so long as it was formalwear, I guess I would simply grin and look away. This is not about whether I "like" your outfit, the color, the cut, the brand, etc., but whether you have had the courtesy to your fellow guests to honor the unspoken social compact to wear attire that is appropriate to the host's request. Some will always choose to make a mockery of this by staying technically within the guidelines, but at the same time spit in your eye. So be it. And, perhaps, it will make for a memorable story. The dude in the t-shirt and cutoffs in the dining room is oh so forgettable.

And what about what's best for the other 12-1800 passengers on that ship? Or don't they count in your world...

It's all HAL's fault for introducing "As you wish" dining...apparently some believe this is "anyway you wish" and that this trumps the very clear, reasonable dress code, which does not prohibit anyone from eating in the Lido or his/her stateroom.

"But I paid my money, and I'm gonna get my money's worth!" So go for it, push people aside to get your glass of oh-so-tasty free sparkling wine! Plop your tray down in front of someone on the Lido serving line, because they didn't move along fast enough! Leave your belongings on a lounger while you go on a half-day excursion! Go HOG WILD! :eek: While you're at it, get those pesky $10pp charges from nowhere removed from your bill!

Its a wonder I continue to go on cruises! (But, as I am well aware, common courtesy is dead most everywhere...sigh.)

It's all HAL's fault for introducing "As you wish" dining...apparently some believe this is "anyway you wish"
I disagree. The same phenomenon is found on other cruise lines (such as Royal Caribbean) where there is no such moniker that could be confusing passengers.

"But I paid my money, and I'm gonna get my money's worth!" So go for it, push people aside to get your glass of oh-so-tasty free sparkling wine! Plop your tray down in front of someone on the Lido serving line, because they didn't move along fast enough! Leave your belongings on a lounger while you go on a half-day excursion! Go HOG WILD! :eek: While you're at it, get those pesky $10pp charges from nowhere removed from your bill!
Indeed. I don't doubt the same people engage in many of these rationalizations you've highlighted.

Its a wonder I continue to go on cruises! (But, as I am well aware, common courtesy is dead most everywhere...sigh.)
I'm glad you added the parenthetical, and especially that you recognized that it was common courtesy that is "dead". I was about to list a dozen other situations in society, most of which I've actually discussed in online forums within the last month, that also qualify. If anything, take heart that it perhaps happens a little less aboard ship than in the broader society.

Bicker:

Agreed on all points. I should have put a smiley next to my first comment...the phrase itself is not to blame, as it clearly is meant to be about the flexibility of dining times...but, in some peoples' minds, it may reinforce subliminally the mentality of "my life, my way".

Happy sailing, and don't let 'em get you down!

As my dear father used to say "people who are rude are generally ignorant" and I have found this to be true. These people are indeed very annoying, but I prefer to pity them for their lack of intelligence and common sense.

I enjoy so much about cruising, that it is easy to just ignore them (most of the time) and concentrate on having a great time.

It is so nice to know that most people prefer to be considerate of others around them.

My Dad wears button down short-sleved shirts (print type - subdued print) or a polo-type with collar (and a few buttons). DH wears either a less formal button down shirt or polo with collar.

Mom only wears slacks with various tops (tropical prints, etc.). I run the gamut of slacks with similar type tops to "fancier" sundresses (not the "stretch" variety - real dresses without sleeves - but wide strap top - no string ties - is how I define them). I would wear these dresses to work with a white/linen suit jacket.

exactly like what we would wear.

Nita

Archived