Enchantment--How Bad is The Motion for Aft Cabins ?

I have a Junior Suite booked center aft Deck 8.. I love the location and That HUGE aft Balcony.. I am not worried about the motion for myself as I have cruised before. I am taking my 8 year old with me on this August Four Night cruise (Hurricane Season) Before he goes back to school. Do I need to scrap the aft JS and go with a Midship D-1 or 2 or is it not that bad?? I hate to get rid of this Cabin as they are hard to come by, But I also don't want a sick child on my hands as well..I trust you guy's on this.. What do you think ?? Any advice would be great as I have time to change it now if I need to.. Thanks and have a great day.:)

We had an aft cabin on deck eight of the Enchantment right after the stretch. It was our second cruise; the first was on the Navigator. We felt the motion a little more but I never actually felt sick (and I am very prone to motion sickness).

Our last cruise last March was on the Navigator again and we encounterd some pretty rough seas. I got really sick and had to put on a patch to enjoy the rest of the trip.

After that cruise, I decided that it has more to do with the roughness of the seas rather than your cabin location. I will never cruise again without a supply of patches.;)

I just came off her this past Saturday and I had the corner aft (7166) on Deck 7. I'm actually a bad one to ask because I actually don't notice the ship's motion. It was my sister's first cruise though and while she felt it, she said it wasn't bad. You do feel a little bit of engine motion from time to time. To be honest, though, my sister did decide she was having some motion sickness in general not specifically cabin-related (just a general malaise and headachy...no nausea) so she got bonine from the shops and it took care of it completely and she thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the trip.

Don't give up the cabin. We were in 7666 and didn't feel a lot of movement from the waves. The cabin did vibrate a lot though. Again, nothing major. We had one night of rough seas, but it wasn't anymore noticeable in the cabin. My son actually got sick that night in the kids club.

If you think your son might get sick, get some seasick meds--bonine, anything ginger related, etc.

I didn't get sick on Enchantment, but I did on the Monarch. I took one bonine tablet and ate a peice of candied ginger. That helped pretty quickly. After a few hours, I started feeling a little sick again and I ate another peice of the ginger. Again, it helped almost immediately.

Like Beth, we've been in cabin 7666 and noticed just what she did. There was no rocking or swaying but it vibrated a lot. I always take one bonine prior to departure and haven't been sick yet. I have always gotten sick on small boats even when it's not rough.

All good info !! Between the motion and the vibrating I think I am going to take one of the "New" D-1 cabins Midship on Deck 7.. I don't really need the JS as I only took it because of it's aft location. Better to make the switch now and be done with it then to worry "Have I made the right decision" ? Thanks again for your time and info.. It was helpful.:)

in 7170 we had a LOT of motion...we were on the same cruise as Karina...not seasick, but EVERYTHING rattled and shook in the cabin..plus we had some soot from the smokestack, and NOISE from the spotlight lounge. you are under the spa/fitness center so you may hear noise. we moved for the 2nd leg of our b2b to a JS on deck 8. No vibrating, but we heard rolling carts.....no where near as bad as the karaoke.

so..i hated aft...all you happily ever AFTer peeps can have them!:D

We had 7170 on Enchantment. We did not feel any more motion than one would expect on a ship. We did hear noise from the lounge below us on one night and it ended at 1am. The noise did not wake our children. I would grab an aft balcony again on Enchantment in a heart beat.

You will always feel the motion of the ocean more in the aft or forward cabins. Pure scientific fact. And yes, the aft cabins sometimes tend to have more 'rumbling/shuddering' type of motion than other cabins.

Please don't listen to other's stories about whether they got seasick or not - so much depends on the particular person and the seas that day, regardless of cabin location. Whether they did or did not get sick is irrelevant to your experience. The issue is whether the cabin has more motion than one centrally located. The answer is yes.

Sorry to sound a little cranky but I confess I go bonkers when people reassure others they won't get sick because they didn't. I've been on the same itineraries on the same ships in virtually the same location cabins and sometimes I feel the motion and sometimes I do not. So much is 'it depends', so I agree with you in being better safe than sorry. :)

We had 7170 on Enchantment. We did not feel any more motion than one would expect on a ship. We did hear noise from the lounge below us on one night and it ended at 1am. The noise did not wake our children. I would grab an aft balcony again on Enchantment in a heart beat.

you must have a higher tolerance for shuddering than me!!:D

it wasn't, IMHO, seasick inducing vibration, just more annoying....

all in all, aft cabins aren't for us....y'all can have them. Just leave Hump JSs for us on the big ships?? deal??!!!:cool:

have a great cruise!!!

Some of you said that you stayed in the Aft JS on Deck 7. Well that's lower then deck 8 as far as motion goes. The more I thought about it yesterday and this morning, I decided that so many of you had kids with you in these rooms and they didn't get sick. (Not that mine will be their other then to sleep anyway:rolleyes: ) I will take some preventitive measures (Bonine,Ginger) I to would Really like to experience one of these Aft cabins and I am sure that I will be in their FAR more then my Boy.. Some prior posters stayed in 7166 (Corner Aft) and had pictures that I thought looked very nice !! So I called Royal Caribbean this afternoon and it was open for my sail date and now it's mine !!:) I am still concerned about my son & Sea sickness. As I said I will have some meds on hand if needed and hopefully it works out as well as the other posters kids did. Thanks for the Info and Pics.. Happy Cruising !! :D

I have a Junior Suite booked center aft Deck 8.. I love the location and That HUGE aft Balcony.. I am not worried about the motion for myself as I have cruised before. I am taking my 8 year old with me on this August Four Night cruise (Hurricane Season) Before he goes back to school. Do I need to scrap the aft JS and go with a Midship D-1 or 2 or is it not that bad?? I hate to get rid of this Cabin as they are hard to come by, But I also don't want a sick child on my hands as well..I trust you guy's on this.. What do you think ?? Any advice would be great as I have time to change it now if I need to.. Thanks and have a great day.:)

My daughter tends to get motion sickness, and she was fine in this cabin. Have a great time!

We were in 7166 in December. I don't have problems with motion but my DH-to-be does, he had the patch and pills and didn't have any bigger problem with this one vs. previous sailings.

The balcony is huge and we used the lounge chairs there to lay out.

The one downside is we could hear some of the music from the lounge on six at night -- wasn't horrible but you could hear it somewhat...

Having said that, no regrets -- it was fabulous!

My mother is very prone to seasickness, and when I was a child she used to feed me so much Dramamine, that I slept through most of our salmon fishing trips. As an adult, I learned that I rarely get seasick. I'm just curious...does your son actually get seasick? My mom never wanted to find out, I guess. Cabin choice is yours of course. We have an aft booked on Grandeurr, and I don't expect any real difference. :)

My mother is very prone to seasickness, and when I was a child she used to feed me so much Dramamine, that I slept through most of our salmon fishing trips. As an adult, I learned that I rarely get seasick. I'm just curious...does your son actually get seasick? My mom never wanted to find out, I guess. Cabin choice is yours of course. We have an aft booked on Grandeurr, and I don't expect any real difference. :)

I don't know if he get's Seasick as this will be his first time at Sea. I have taken him on short boat rides on lakes before which can be wavey and he was fine, But that's not an all day and night thing so I will have to see. I will handle it whatever happens..If I thought that he really was going to spend any real time in the Cabin I would probably keep the midship location. I KNOW that I will be the only one in that cabin until it's his bed time.. And eight months away and he is already reminding me that Adventure Ocean has late night kids party's till 1:00am everynight !! This is a Father /Son trip so who do you think will end up winning that war in the end. :) As long he has Fun and some good memory's is what is important.. Thanks for the info. happy cruising:)

We are sailing AFT (8352) on the Navigator in 2 weeks. I am very

concerned about feeling sick in this cabin. We have cruised 3 previous times and been mid-ship and I had absolutely no problems.

Where can I purchase ginger tablets/candy? Also, does the ship sell patches, if needed?

Thanks

Trish

Just of the GOTS today. We had cabin 8088. A great cabin with an even greater balcony. No real problems until yesterday. The cabin was really rockin and rollin. There was definitely a difference from mid-ship area. I don't think anywhere on the ship was safe. You could not go outside. There was a waiting line at the doctor's office, signs to get anti nausea medicine at the purser's office and bags placed through out the ship for those who go not make it to the rest room in time. All that said I still prefer aft cabins any time I can get one.

We enjoyed our stay in Enchantment's aft corner balcony #7666. I am not one to get sea sick, and actually prefer to have some rocking motions...otherwise I just feel like I am in a hotel.

Anyway, we cruised last week with our three kids on the Monarch and they all did great. My 8 year old daughter gets motion sickness literally EVERYTIME we drive more than about 10-15 miles. She gets dramamine before any long car trip. We kept her on her motion sickness drugs during the cruise and she had ZERO problems.

The label on Bonine indicates that it is for those 12 years old and over. Since it is time release, you should not cut it in half. So you may want to stick with Dramamine for your son, unless your doctor approves the use of Bonine. :)

Have a great time!

We enjoyed our stay in Enchantment's aft corner balcony #7666. I am not one to get sea sick, and actually prefer to have some rocking motions...otherwise I just feel like I am in a hotel.

Anyway, we cruised last week with our three kids on the Monarch and they all did great. My 8 year old daughter gets motion sickness literally EVERYTIME we drive more than about 10-15 miles. She gets dramamine before any long car trip. We kept her on her motion sickness drugs during the cruise and she had ZERO problems.

The label on Bonine indicates that it is for those 12 years old and over. Since it is time release, you should not cut it in half. So you may want to stick with Dramamine for your son, unless your doctor approves the use of Bonine. :)

Have a great time!

As the cruise get's closer I will have to contact my son's Dr and get some "Just in case" meds.. Thanks !!:)

Archived