coffee questions

sheephugs

I've searched the threads & I think I have a handle on this. Please let me know if this is right. If we don't want "syrup" coffee the key is to purchase a coffee card. With this, we can get 15 speciality coffees & unlimited fresh brewed coffee (as long as I don't use the last punch). However, can you get cappucinos in the dining room after meals without using the card? Thanks!

Not sure if it was just me, but on our cruise on the Emerald it seemed that the coffee in the buffet was somewhat better than I remembered it. I always get the coffee card since I love my capuccino after dinner.

sheephugs, You are right about the coffee card and can use it in most places on the ship. If you want cappucino in the dining room, use your card or you will have to pay for it. If you use up your coffee card, you can always buy a second one as we did.

mycruz, the coffee in the buffet was a little better then in the past, but it was still "just" drinkable.

sue

How much are the coffee cards now and where can you get one? How many specialty coffees are on the punch card?

Thank you in advance.

You won't have any problem purchasing a card. It seemed half the crew were selling coffee/soda cards throughout the ship on sailaway day. They were even lurking on the stairway landings.:rolleyes:

The card was $25 + included tip.

If you're as big a coffee hound as I am, it's a good buy.

On Grand, the coffee in Lido is absolutely vile. Despite also being a syrup base, or so I've been told, the dining room coffee is better. I asked my coffee purveyor at http://www.javacoffee.com/ about that. He said there are different quality grades for coffee. Maybe they use a higher grade in the main kitchen?

I thought that the coffee had improved compared to previous cruises. Maybe they have upgraded their syrup mixture. I also thought the coffee in the dining room was better than the buffet, but even that seems to have improved.

I thought that the coffee had improved compared to previous cruises. Maybe they have upgraded their syrup mixture. I also thought the coffee in the dining room was better than the buffet, but even that seems to have improved.
I've felt that the coffee, either in the buffet or dining room, was perfectly fine on every Princess cruise I've taken other than the Golden Princess last February where it was horrible the entire time. Unless you really like specialty coffees, such as the cappucino, I wouldn't spend money on a coffee card.

I am normally a Starbucks or Seattle's Best Coffee junkie, but I did not find the dining room coffee to be too bad. I asked a server about this and he advised that they have become very particular about how they store the coffee as it is very sensitive and if prepared or stored incorrectly it will be awful.

My Mom and I each purchased a coffee card for our cruise to Hawaii on the Diamond. I thought the buffet coffee was fine (I'm addicted to Starbucks) and most of the specialty coffees were average (the Mocha was OK) . Plus, you cannot use the unused portion on any other ship or cruise. We didn't use up either card and wasted a few dollars. Next time, if we get a card at all we'll only get one.

My Mom and I each purchased a coffee card for our cruise to Hawaii on the Diamond. I thought the buffet coffee was fine (I'm addicted to Starbucks) and most of the specialty coffees were average (the Mocha was OK) . Plus, you cannot use the unused portion on any other ship or cruise. We didn't use up either card and wasted a few dollars. Next time, if we get a card at all we'll only get one.

I believe that you can use the card on the next cruise - there are many posting saying that and I'll find out in a few weeks - I have 2 cards from previous cruises that have avaliable punches left.

I've felt that the coffee, either in the buffet or dining room, was perfectly fine on every Princess cruise I've taken other than the Golden Princess last February where it was horrible the entire time. Unless you really like specialty coffees, such as the cappucino, I wouldn't spend money on a coffee card.

We all have different tastes in coffee. We are coffee snobs and have a coffee maker that grinds the beans when we make coffee. For us the lido and dining room coffee was not great, barely drinkable. My suggestion is that people try the lido and dining room coffee and then decide if it is ok for them or if they should buy a coffee card.

sue

I find it interesting that the only people on here who thought that Princess' coffee was okay, are the Starbucks fans.LOL.

I suggest you folks save 3 dollars, go to McDonalds and get some good coffee, so you will know what we are talking about with Princess' world famously bad coffee.

My last cruise with Princess, on the Dawn, I fell in love with the Barrista, and spent about half my sea days at the coffee bar, because it was the only decent coffee to be found. Including the Dining Room.

I find it interesting that the only people on here who thought that Princess' coffee was okay, are the Starbucks fans.LOL.

I suggest you folks save 3 dollars, go to McDonalds and get some good coffee, so you will know what we are talking about with Princess' world famously bad coffee.

My last cruise with Princess, on the Dawn, I fell in love with the Barrista, and spent about half my sea days at the coffee bar, because it was the only decent coffee to be found. Including the Dining Room.

I love Mc D's coffee! :D And I also really like FRESH coffee, not coffee that has that burnt taste to it.

That said, on our last cruise in Dec, the Princess coffee truly was better than on my last 2 cruises on Princess and my last 2 cruises on RCCL for that matter. I wonder if they upgraded something after reading all the negative remarks on these boards :).

I love Mc D's coffee! :D And I also really like FRESH coffee, not coffee that has that burnt taste to it.

That said, on our last cruise in Dec, the Princess coffee truly was better than on my last 2 cruises on Princess and my last 2 cruises on RCCL for that matter. I wonder if they upgraded something after reading all the negative remarks on these boards :).

Well, I will know in 3 weeks. And I truly hope so. My coffee bar tab was way higher than my bar tab on the last one. lol

I think that I will try the coffee first before purchasing a coffee card. See what all the hype is about the buffet coffee being terrible.

That's a good idea.

I believe that you can use the card on the next cruise - there are many posting saying that and I'll find out in a few weeks - I have 2 cards from previous cruises that have avaliable punches left.

The coffee card I just purchased on the Sea Princess was identical to the card I purchased last year on the Crown. No markings or dates on it to limit it's use that I could see. Though I suppose that if they changed the design the old card would definitely be out. Also last years cruise was a b2b and I used the same card for both cruises.

My husband plans on getting a coffee card. Where can you get the fresh brewed coffee on the ship? We are on the Grand very soon:D

Where can you not! The coffee and soda card crews were out in force on my last sailaway day. I bought a coffee card on a stairway landing. :p

Where can you not! The coffee and soda card crews were out in force on my last sailaway day. I bought a coffee card on a stairway landing. :p

Ha ha! I meant where can you get the fresh brewed coffee...not the card:D Thank you for answering me though:p

On my earlier Princess cruises, the coffee was bad in the buffet and in the dining room. All of the folks in my party wrote comments about the bad coffee on the critique forms. The last trip - Tahiti, on the Tahitian Princess this summer, the coffee was much better in both places. Maybe we made a difference? Yeah, sure.

But I still bought the coffee card for the Cappuccino.

Archived