Overwhelmed, confused, please help boat excursion

fun2travel

I have seen many nice recommendations on here for boat excursions. We can only afford one, does one stand out more than the others? Are they all about the same in terms of what you see? Our choices for location are Seward, Icy Straits, Juneau, and Ketchikan. I think we will do Island Wings in Ketchikan. But I just am not sure how to decide and decifer these boat trips.

Thanks!

I have seen many nice recommendations on here for boat excursions. We can only afford one, does one stand out more than the others? Are they all about the same in terms of what you see? Our choices for location are Seward, Icy Straits, Juneau, and Ketchikan. I think we will do Island Wings in Ketchikan. But I just am not sure how to decide and decifer these boat trips.

Thanks!

What are your port times in Juneau??If you get in early I would reccomend a Tracy Arm Cruise with Alaska Bound or maybe a whale watch...We have done the Tracy Arm Cruise and it was awesome...This Sept we have Capt Jack and the Scania booked for a whale watch..

Kelly

Juneau is 8am - 9 pm. Thinking of Harv and Mar here. Adventure Bound sounds good here, but I don't think getting in at 8am would be early enough.

And wonder about F.I.S.H.E.S in Icy Strait. Also Kenai Fjords in Seward. Are all boat tours the same? Do they all go looking for whales and glaciers, does something set them apart?

I guess I would pick Kenai Fjords, if I only had one choice. IF I had two, the other would be a whale watch.

Perhaps- "pay yourself", cut back on eating out, movies, gifts, etc etc. Forego Valentine's Day Birthday and Mother's/father's day and pay the money into an excursion fund??? Only a suggestion- but that money can definately add up.

Juneau is 8am - 9 pm. Thinking of Harv and Mar here. Adventure Bound sounds good here, but I don't think getting in at 8am would be early enough.

And wonder about F.I.S.H.E.S in Icy Strait. Also Kenai Fjords in Seward. Are all boat tours the same? Do they all go looking for whales and glaciers, does something set them apart?

Our sailing with Alaska Adventure Bound was at 9 am..We had many whale sightings even saw Orcas...

here is a link to a small photo album I put together...Most of these shots were taken in Tracy Arm

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559852870rlducw

I am sure you will have a great time whatever you choose..

Kelly

I guess I would pick Kenai Fjords, if I only had one choice. IF I had two, the other would be a whale watch.

Perhaps- "pay yourself", cut back on eating out, movies, gifts, etc etc. Forego Valentine's Day Birthday and Mother's/father's day and pay the money into an excursion fund??? Only a suggestion- but that money can definately add up.

Thanks for the budgeting tips BQ, the money is not an issue for me, I am just trying to be sensitive to the 2 other people in our party. ;)

Can you help me to understand though. Are all the boat's tours similar? Is the scenary a little different, but basically the same in that they take us by glaciers and whale watch? I have seen my mother get very seasick on deep sea fishing trips before, would this make a difference?

Thanks for the budgeting tips BQ, the money is not an issue for me, I am just trying to be sensitive to the 2 other people in our party. ;)

Can you help me to understand though. Are all the boat's tours similar? Is the scenary a little different, but basically the same in that they take us by glaciers and whale watch? I have seen my mother get very seasick on deep sea fishing trips before, would this make a difference?

They are all different. You have the most wildlife opportunity at Kenai fjords, and good glacier viewing. This is not a whale watch, and actually my stats on my trips have only run about 50% with whale sightings.

But I suggest you address the motion sickness problem, on all of them. You are on water with all having the potential for roughness. Even the shortest- would be endless if ill.

I can certainly understand your sensitivity to your other travelers, but perhaps, share the "savings" list with them :) but I also would not hesistate to split up and do what I wanted, especially if you don't plan on coming back soon.

We are also travelling with 2-3 others. We had a straightforward talk from the beginning that we didn't all have to do the same things in port towns. We are planning what we want to do and we are sharing the information with the others. If they chose to go with us great, if not, then we will each do what fits our interests and budgets.

My top choices are Tracy Arm or Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park. Of those two, I have a difficult time deciding which is the top, but I tend to lean toward Tracy Arm mainly because of motion sickness issues I have. Was sick some on the KFNP, was not at all on the TA.

They are different, but both very worthwhile.:)

Icy Strait won't have an up-close glacier/ice tour nearby as they are on an island versus the mainland like Juneau and Glacier Bay.

8 am arrival should be plenty of time if Adventure Bound is doing a 9 am or later departure the day you're there. Call them and see. If they're already gone for the day, Alaskan Marine Adventures runs Tracy Arm... usually an hour or two after Adventure Bound leaves. There's also Harv & Marv or Adventures In Alaska for a private charter option, but that will get expensive unless there are a full 6 or 10 to fill the boat.

Thanks for your reply, this is the kind of info I was hoping for. I would like to see glaciers as well as whales, so maybe Icy Strait is not the best bet.

Icy Strait won't have an up-close glacier/ice tour nearby as they are on an island versus the mainland like Juneau and Glacier Bay.

8 am arrival should be plenty of time if Adventure Bound is doing a 9 am or later departure the day you're there. Call them and see. If they're already gone for the day, Alaskan Marine Adventures runs Tracy Arm... usually an hour or two after Adventure Bound leaves. There's also Harv & Marv or Adventures In Alaska for a private charter option, but that will get expensive unless there are a full 6 or 10 to fill the boat.

Thanks for your reply, this is the kind of info I was hoping for. I would like to see glaciers as well as whales, so maybe Icy Strait is not the best bet.

If they're already gone for the day, Alaskan Marine Adventures runs Tracy Arm... usually an hour or two after Adventure Bound leaves. There's also Harv & Marv or Adventures In Alaska for a private charter option, but that will get expensive unless there are a full 6 or 10 to fill the boat.

I take this to mean that Alaskan Marine Adventures is now offering daily scheduled runs to Tracy Arm??? :) If so, do you know the timeframe needed in port? Thanks!

Part of the cruise I'm on in May cruises through or in the Tracy Arm Fjord, would you recommend still going on Jet Boat Tour?

Are you on NCL Star??? Absolutely, the add on NCL Tracy Arm tour is a must do, in my opinion. Especially with going in May, you essentially have NO chance of making it to the glaciers with the cruise ship.

I take this to mean that Alaskan Marine Adventures is now offering daily scheduled runs to Tracy Arm??? :) If so, do you know the timeframe needed in port? Thanks!

It's a charter service, but from their website it sounds if no one is chartering the boat for the day, they will go to Tracy Arm with a minimum of 3 passengers for $340 per. You can charter a boat for $1700 for up to 9 passengers. Still, this is an option for people who can't make the 8 or 9 o'clock departure times for Adventure Bound. Best to call them.

Tracy Arm sounds like the place to be for glacier viewing. I am not in port long enough to do adventurebound, any other operators recommended?

There are no guarantees you'll get to the glaciers, with AdventureBound or with a charter, just be aware of that so you won't be completely disappointed if you are one of the rare sailing which happens to be iced out. No matter, Tracy Arm as a whole is one of the most spectacular areas to take a small boat excursion and the icebergs are fabulous!!!

As already mentioned, Alaskan Marine Adventures seems to be offering Tracy Arm, and other Juneau charter companies offer it as well. Look them up or try a Google/Dogpile/whatever search for Juneau Tracy Arm charters.:)

There are no guarantees you'll get to the glaciers, with AdventureBound or with a charter, just be aware of that so you won't be completely disappointed if you are one of the rare sailing which happens to be iced out. No matter, Tracy Arm as a whole is one of the most spectacular areas to take a small boat excursion and the icebergs are fabulous!!!

I went with AdventureBound in May a few years ago and unfortunately, we were iced out and couldn't make the last couple of turns. Even after saying that, this excursion was by far the best excursion I have gone on in Alaska and I have taken 5 or 6 cruises there. I highly recommend AdventureBound.

the absolute highlite of or vacation was the Kenai Fijords tour out of seward--we saw everything--orca, humpback, otter, sea lion, bears, eagles, and calving glaciers up close---there are numerous operators and many have buy one get one in the toursaver books

Paul

The best glacier viewing on a small boat is Prince William Sound from Whittier. Tracy Arm gives you the twin Sawyer Glaciers while Prince William Sound offers the glaciers of Blackstone Bay (six), Barry Arm (four), or College Fjord (6+). Various operators offer tours to each. Wildlife is sometimes encountered on these PWSound trips as well; last Sepember, we saw a pod of ten orca/killer whales in Passage Canal on the way out of Whittier.

If you want whales, go with a Juneau excursion. Varied marine life is best with Kenai Fjords while glacier viewing is superb from Whittier.

The small boat trip into Glacier Bay is also excellent from Bartlett Cove but few cruise ship passengers have this option.

The best glacier viewing on a small boat is Prince William Sound from Whittier. Tracy Arm gives you the twin Sawyer Glaciers while Prince William Sound offers the glaciers of Blackstone Bay (six), Barry Arm (four), or College Fjord (6+). Various operators offer tours to each. Wildlife is sometimes encountered on these PWSound trips as well; last Sepember, we saw a pod of ten orca/killer whales in Passage Canal on the way out of Whittier.

If you want whales, go with a Juneau excursion. Varied marine life is best with Kenai Fjords while glacier viewing is superb from Whittier.

The small boat trip into Glacier Bay is also excellent from Bartlett Cove but few cruise ship passengers have this option.

Thanks for this info. I will check into it.

Archived