Grand Princess Photo Processing

GKCruisers

On the Princess ships we have sailed (not the Grand), the photo folks would download pictures from a flash drive to a cd. I believe the cost was $19.95 per flash drive or per cd. That is 2 flash drive to 1 cd = $40 and 1 flash drive to 2 cd's = $40.

Does anyone know if digital camera cards are able to be downloaded to a CD on Grand Princess? Also, if so, how much does such a service cost?

On the Princess ships we have sailed (not the Grand), the photo folks would download pictures from a flash drive to a cd. I believe the cost was $19.95 per flash drive or per cd. That is 2 flash drive to 1 cd = $40 and 1 flash drive to 2 cd's = $40.

As Paul notes, it is pretty pricey. I have also seen posts on CC where people got home and found out the transfer was not successful and they were either missing some or all of their photos.:eek:

Memory is so cheap today (especially compared to CD capacity) I would recommend getting additional memory rather than paying those excessive costs. :) Then you will have the memory for your next trip. ;)

On a December cruise, it was $9.95 for up to 512MB.

Of course, with todays 1GB, 2GB and larger cards, a CD is impractical and they do not do transfers to DVD yet.

I agree with the other poster. Better to buy and bring more memory with you.

• 3 months later...

Is this something that would be appealing if the price was right? What other photography improvements would you like to see? It appears the cruising industry could really use some help with their photo operation and other photography related products and services. I'm interested to know what other ideas frequent travelers have to make the operation more appealing.

During our trip on the Grand, the transfer was not available due to an equipment problem. I wasn't interested in the service, but I remember reading the sign posted in the photo gallery. Maybe the equipment will be fixed before your sailing, but I agree with chasetf and caribill. The memory cards are reusable for future trips.

We sailed on the Grand 3 weeks ago and invested in another memory card instead of trying to have photos copied to a CD. One very useful thing I found was that I could preview pictures that were still on the memory card on the television using a cable I got with the camera. I don't know if all televisions on the ship has the same jacks on the front but ours did. I was able to preview pictures on the TV and delete the ones I didn't want to save.

Would you be interested if a cruise ship offered an easy way for you to view the photos and edit or delete those you aren't interested in? What about storing the pictures you take on your personal camera along with those that are taken by the crew and then deciding which ones you would like to have printed or archived to DVD at the end of the trip? How about easy tools to make a photo book, slide show or create journal and blog entries while you are cruising that could be uploaded for printing or viewing later?

Take extra 1 and/or 2 gb cards. Just put a note in plastic bag with chip to remind you of the itinerary on particular chip eg Golden: Mar 1-7.

When you get home you can transfer up to 700 to one CD and up to 4700kb to one DVD. DON't TAKE YOUR CHIPS TO THE BIG STORES LIKE w**M etc if you like to print your own photos. Their disc is encoded so you can only preview a slide show. They are happy to make prints for you. This ensures that you have to return to their store.icon4.gif

Does anyone know if digital camera cards are able to be downloaded to a CD on Grand Princess? Also, if so, how much does such a service cost?

Expect any service to be considerably more expensive on the ship versus anywhere else.

The cheapest thing would be as others have suggested buying some extra memory cards. THey are going for around 10 dollars / gigbit that is far cheaper then any CD burn service.

Another avenue would be to find some friendly fellow cruiser with a laptop and a memory card slot and if you bring a bunch of blank CDs and they could burn them for you. I'd gladly do it too, but you won't find me with a laptop ;)

Archived