Cunard's Rating among Cruise Lines

warburg

Oh really???? Well, if I had to choose a ship in which to cross the North Atlantic, the sleek, ocean-cutting hull would be a characteristic of the ship I would take. You can cross the ocean on Exploiter of the Seas or the Norwegian Aloha or the Carnival whatever. I'll take a Cunard liner.

On the Conde Nast poll I saw (Feb 08), large ships were defined as carrying more than 1500 passengers (not 500).

On the ratings for individual ships, QE2 scored low on design and cabins. Not surprising, given her age. When she was built, people accepted smaller cabins than they do now. And passengers didn't expect balconies back then. The low score on design is because QE2 has no atrium, no neon lights, no jungle-theme bars, and no grapevine dining rooms. QE2 also scored low on shore excursions, probably because she doesn't offer bungee jumping and parasailing. (Given her clientele, this makes sense.)

Oddly enough, QM2 isn't on the list at all. Several Celebrity ships ranked above QE2, as did some Disney and RCCL.

I couldn't find a list comparing lines, but Bosco's data isn't surprising. Lines with more ships have more passengers, which means more people to vote for the line. With only 2 ships at the time the survey was done, Cunard's potential fan base was much smaller than that of other lines.

Plus, fans of Cunard probably didn't vote in the poll. We're too busy writing posts to explain what a liner is and what formal wear looks like.

Kathy

The poll I referenced was the Nov 2007 Readers Choice poll, not any subsequent one. It did not rate individual ships, nor did it exclude any ship in the line from consideration. That poll had the large/small ship distinction at 500. I am sure the magazine itself sends persons to rate the lines as well. Of course, you may give different weights to different polls. Perhaps some magazines put their thumb on the scales if they know the line advertises heavily in the magazine, maybe it is unbiased. Who knows.

I am not sure whether the number of ships really affect the rankings. If that were the case, Carnival and Royal Caribbean would have maxed out, and much smaller Oceania would flounder. One can argue there is an affluency bias, given the magazine’s readership, but that doesn’t explain why Cunard would be unfairly depressed.

Dear Bosco,

Here's an idea for you to wrap your head around. We Don't Care. Don't care one whit where Cunard is ranked because deity knows the ships are already full without more people being attracted to them. Don't Care about Conde Nast rankings because they are the same thing as Zagat, written by "the fans" who vote early and often.

We will, however, make an effort to refute ridiculous and erroneous comments, at least until it grows so boring it makes our hair hurt. Then it's time to put on our self-tied ties and evening gowns and have a rousing game of Canapes and Cleavages, and wait for the gloomy cloud of tedious to pass.

Dear Bosco,

Here's an idea for you to wrap your head around. We Don't Care. Don't care one whit where Cunard is ranked because deity knows the ships are already full without more people being attracted to them. Don't Care about Conde Nast rankings because they are the same thing as Zagat, written by "the fans" who vote early and often.

We will, however, make an effort to refute ridiculous and erroneous comments, at least until it grows so boring it makes our hair hurt. Then it's time to put on our self-tied ties and evening gowns and have a rousing game of Canapes and Cleavages, and wait for the gloomy cloud of tedious to pass.

Well said.

And for your further entertainment, here's what happened to Conde Nast reviews of the (very recent) past:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=678197&highlight=conde+nast

and also:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572886&highlight=conde+nast

Ring a bell?

Thank you for your comment. The OP inquired about Cunard’s ranking. While everyone, including everyone who has ever taken a cruise, has an opinion about what is a good cruise line and what is a bad one, it is helpful to use a reliable source, or at least a source with enough participants to eliminate individual subjectivity. For that reason, the Conde Nast’s rankings were used.

Someone intimated that the ranking is tainted because it does not have a separate "Ocean Liner" category. I presume this person, and others, were not pleased that Cunard was not ranked higher. I don’t consider them to be arguing, just because they disagree with the results. My response echoed why a distinction is not made in rankings.

You are quite the spin doctor. Do you write speeches for political candidates? I responded to your statement that QE2 and QM2 are not ocean liners. Do you want to try again?

If not to argue, then spin.

Paul

Well said.

And for your further entertainment, here's what happened to Conde Nast reviews of the (very recent) past:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=678197&highlight=conde+nast

and also:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572886&highlight=conde+nast

Ring a bell?

Yes indeedy. Say Conde Nast and the bell rings pour moi.

I reckon we could find out when the next poll is, stuff the ballot boxes like the others and see where Cunard end up on the list. But that would mean we would have to care about such things. :rolleyes:

Dear Bosco,

Here's an idea for you to wrap your head around. We Don't Care. Don't care one whit where Cunard is ranked because deity knows the ships are already full without more people being attracted to them.

We will, however, make an effort to refute ridiculous and erroneous comments, at least until it grows so boring it makes our hair hurt.

The OP cared enough to ask the question, hence my response. There is nothing wrong with someone asking how Cunard is viewed by others. Flaming someone because they post a review that isn't as favorable to a particular cruise line as one might like doesn't really answer the OP's valid question. I see nothing erroneous about the question, or most of the responses (with the exception of the ad hominem attacks).

The OP cared enough to ask the question, hence my response. There is nothing wrong with someone asking how Cunard is viewed by others. Flaming someone because they post a review that isn't as favorable to a particular cruise line as one might like doesn't really answer the OP's valid question. I see nothing erroneous about the question, or most of the responses (with the exception of the ad hominem attacks).

It has been discerned that you will go to any length to choose words and phrases that you hope will elicit the biggest negative reaction from the populace. Wish I could say Nice Touch! with the pulling out of the old ad hominem whinge, but that one is so over-used, so tired, so plein de poisson.

Please feel free to say what you wish. Hopefully the only sound you'll hear from the rest of the membership is

*crickets*

Yes indeedy. Say Conde Nast and the bell rings pour moi.

I reckon we could find out when the next poll is, stuff the ballot boxes like the others and see where Cunard end up on the list. But that would mean we would have to care about such things. :rolleyes:

They just published one in the Feb 2008 edition, so we'd probably have almost a year to get organized. :D

Kathy

Qm2 Is Just Another Mass Market Ship Unless You Reside In The Q Grill Or The Pgill Albeit A Little More Beautifull

Careful now, those are fighting words on this board. Be prepared for ridicule. Cruiscritic's own review agrees with you, as does most others.

Careful now, those are fighting words on this board. Be prepared for ridicule. Cruiscritic's own review agrees with you, as does most others.

In one respect, if no other, QM2 is superior to mass market ships, whatever cabin you choose. Its passenger/space ratio is extremely high, and this feeling of spaciousness is something that I think is evident to everyone aboard.

Jane

Something is very wrong with this list. Regent, Oceania and Orient do NOT have large cruise ships by any stretch of the imagination.

Now, to answer the OP's question.

At the top of the heap: Silversea/Seabourn/Regent/Crystal

These 4 are luxury.

Cunard

Oceania

These are niche premium

Celebrity/Holland America

These are traditional mainstream

Princess/Royal Caribbean/Carnival/NCL

These are contemporary mainstream

Now that was perfectly well said!!!

Anything below "contemporary mainstream" - without soundling like a cruise snob would be close to Japanese Squid Trawler!!! I would think!! :p

Now that was perfectly well said!!!

Anything below "contemporary mainstream" - without soundling like a cruise snob would be close to Japanese Squid Trawler!!! I would think!! :p

Depends, CC.

Does it come with Shoyu and Namida?

If so, the Japanese Squid trawler would at least guarantee fresh sushi!

<LOL>

Domo arigato!

I thought that Cunard and the QE2, in particular, won some awards last year.

The first time I sailed on the QE2, pasengers came off other ships and stood in front of the QE2 to have photographs taken. Did not see any QE2 passengers reciprocate!

Of course I am biased - I live in Southampton where Cunard has meant something special since I was a child and used to watch the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth go up and down Southampton Water.

It is interesting that most of the other cruise lines mentioned are American based.

Maureen

Maureen

Archived