NCI vs Princess vs RCI

WannaCruise08

Hi! I'm new to cruising and am so excited that we are going to Alaska this summer, but am SO overwhelmed at the number of choices. How do we decide on a cruiseline? Can you help--any input appreciated!

We are a family of 4, with kids 6 and 11. Also will have parents, 60 and 65 along! We need to travel between mid June and mid August.

I did contact a TA and she presented 3 options:

**NCI Star (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sawyer Glacier, Skagway, & Prince Rupert)

**Golden Princess (Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Victoria)

**RCI Rhapsody of the Seas (Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Prince Rupert)

I am leaning toward one of the first 2 because there are more stops. How would you compare Sawyer Glacier with Tracy Arm Fjord?? And what about Prince Rupert as opposed to Victoria??

The NCI trip is less expensive which is also a factor. Any input on these cruise lines/ships/ports???

Thank you so much!:)

Sawyer Glacier is in Tracy Arm Fjord. The itinerary sounds like you are taking a roundtrip from Seattle. Sawyer Glacier is a difficult glacier to get to because of ice. If you really like to see a glacier, pick an itinerary with Glacier Bay or Hubbard. NCL and HAL have ships going to Glacier Bay. NCL has the Pearl. Holland Amercia have the Westerdam and Amsterdam going to Glacier Bay. HAL also has a ship going to Hubbard Glacier from Seattle. If you really want to see Tracy Arm, go on the Westerdam and take a day cruise (Adventure Bound) from Juneau to Tracy Arm. Tracy Arm is best seen from a small boat.

Look at the NCL Pearl. It goes to Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, and Victoria. Glacier Bay is one of those places you should see once in a lifetime. As someone else mentioned I think some of the HAL ships also go to Glacier Bay. If you are looking for a more traditional cruise ship experience go with HAL if you want less formal go with NCL.

Of your three choices, NCL is superior. But you do need to budget for and purchase their add on Tracy Arm tour- costly at about $185pp. Absolutely necessary in my opinion. Otherwise be very prepared for no glacier viewing.

NCL's freestyle works out great in Alaska and the Star is a fantastic ship, loaded with excellent deck space, if you aren't all in balconies.

• 2 months later...
Hi! I'm new to cruising and am so excited that we are going to Alaska this summer, but am SO overwhelmed at the number of choices. How do we decide on a cruiseline? Can you help--any input appreciated!

We are a family of 4, with kids 6 and 11. Also will have parents, 60 and 65 along! We need to travel between mid June and mid August.

I did contact a TA and she presented 3 options:

**NCI Star (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sawyer Glacier, Skagway, & Prince Rupert)

**Golden Princess (Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Victoria)

**RCI Rhapsody of the Seas (Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Prince Rupert)

I am leaning toward one of the first 2 because there are more stops. How would you compare Sawyer Glacier with Tracy Arm Fjord?? And what about Prince Rupert as opposed to Victoria??

The NCI trip is less expensive which is also a factor. Any input on these cruise lines/ships/ports???

Thank you so much!:)

We went to Alaska three times. It’s beautiful place to go and see. Just seat with your favorite drink on board and enjoy the coastline of British Columbia (Canada) and Alaska. Though I never sailed with NCL but I like their port of calls here. If I you I will go with them just for the port of calls. If you go to “Skagway”, try to take the train ride. Wish you a beautiful time in Alaska….:) :) :) :)

Archived