Carribean Jelly Fish?

2boyzmom

OK- this may sound silly- but is there a season for jelly fish? Are they common in carribean waters? I am highly allergic and in all our cruises I have been lucky not to have encountered any, but I am not sure if they are found there in Winter months?

Let me start by saying, we've seen jellyfish washed up on the beach many times, both here in NC, and in Florida, and only one of us has ever been stung. They live in the ocean. Jellyfish are NOT aggressive, they don't chase you through the water, if you get stung, it's because you brushed one of their tentacles.

On one trip to the beach in NC where we live, Men of War were washing up everywhere. Only time I ever saw that many here. Men of war have that distinct blue color. Everyone came out of the water, their sting is incredibly painful.

DD was stung by a jellyfish 2 years ago in Carolina Beach, unpleasant and painful, but not throw yourself on the ground screeching like a man of war. Lifeguard gave us vinegar, made it much better.

We saw an episode of "Mythbusters" recently on Discovery channel, where they intentionally let jellyfish sting this girl's arms, so they could try different cures. The best? vodka. Took away almost all the pain, quite quickly. A couple of those little airplane bottles now live in our beach bag. (for purely medicinal purposes!!:D of course)

Back to the OP's question, DH saw a lot of them (jellyfish, not men of war)in Roatan, he just slowly floated backward, away from them, no problem. Didn't see any in Grand Cayman, or Cancun. Haven't been to that many other places in the carribean, so I'll leave that to the regulars.

If you're allergic, maybe you should see your Dr before you go. Better to bring along the medicine you might need (like an epi pen) than to search for it on vacation.

I grew up in Miami and saw many of these Portuguese Man-Of-War critters on the beach. You don't have to be allergic to them - they sting everyone. It's really hard to remember but I think there were more of them in the winter.

manowar.jpg

I was tagged by one of these bad boys while in Florida. Feels just like a blow tourch on your skin. VERY painfull.. I try to avoid them now :eek:

MPK

and just a word of caution.....coral can also be "toxic"! and it does not have to be the dangerous red version... (my leg brushed some coral last year...and days later I had a rash on my leg and welt like marks on my sides , back and stomach--had to take steroids for weeks).....

I am going to rain on the parade, but I have to tell you that they are more common than you think and often not easy to avoid or see. A lot of them are as small as a nickle or a dime, those cause the real problems, not the big ones that are easy to see.

If you are truly that allergic, make sure that you have an epi pen with you. I would consider buying a dive skin (A thin lycra suit that acts as a very thin wet suit.). This will protect you very well except for your face, hands and head.

Just be cautious because health care in the islands is not like at home.

I have been in the ocean a whole lot, and have never had a problem with any sort of jellyfish except the Man of War, and you can see them usually (especially lying on the beach.)

It's true there are lots of poisonous things in the sea, but the vast majority of cruise ship passengers will never cross paths with them.

When we were snorkeling in Cozumel, I thought I saw what I thought were baby jellyfish. They almost looked more like bubbles, but I knew they weren't. I don't know how small jellyfish start out at, but if they are tiny and you bump into one, can it sting you and will it hurt? It really freaked me out because there were so many in this one spot.

In March in Costa Maya, I was stung in the inside of my thigh, wading in water up to my hips. YEOW! Upon closer inspection around me, I saw fist-size jellyfish swimming all around...the water was crystal clear. I had the tentacle marks branded on my skin for about a week following.

There is a product called "Safe Sea" that supposedly protects against jellyfish. I bought some several years again when people were warning of high jellyfish populations where we were going. It also acts as a sunscreen. We used it, didn't get stung, but also didn't see any jellyfish or hear of anyone else who got stung on our trip. So really, I can't attest as to whether or not it works, but it does exist and seemed to be an acceptable sunscreen. If you google 'jellyfish lotion' you'll find several sites selling it, don't remember where I got it.

Thank You everyone for your replies. All I know is my sister and I were both stund in Hilton Head a few years back. She had a minor rah- my leg bew up to twice the size of normal. I was bed ridden for two days (leg elevated) as per the ER and it basically ruined our trip. That's why I'm leary of any future stings...

I grew up in Miami and saw many of these Portuguese Man-Of-War critters on the beach. You don't have to be allergic to them - they sting everyone. It's really hard to remember but I think there were more of them in the winter.

manowar.jpg

These are visitors to our Bermuda beaches during May each year.

Tip: when you see them on sand, do NOT bury them - leave them exposed so people see them to avoid them. Even the small baby ones sting like h*ll. When snorkelling take care to look upward occasionally because they float dragging their multiple length whips (that can go many feet long) along - easy for any snorkellers to swim into if they keep on looking downwards.

A friend of mine showed up at my place one evening, took off his shirt and showed me the burn marks. I screamed and asked him if they were iron marks. No, they were from the whips of the man o war. He'd swam into them while snorkelling. He went to hospital to be treated and then released.

Salty ... did you take this pic on Horseshoe Bay beach in Bermuda?? That famous PINK sand!!

We have also noticed that if there has been alot of rain-- it seems to "stir" them up-- I guess with the currents -- etc.... they are brought closer into shore. As someone has mentioned-- they can be so small-- so you really have to watch out.:)

Salty ... did you take this pic on Horseshoe Bay beach in Bermuda?? That famous PINK sand!!

No, actually it is just a picture I found online.

I remember these creatures vividly as a child, since we went to the beach almost every weekend, I saw a lot of them.

We will be visiting Bermuda in May, so maybe I will see one again on pink sand!!

I have not decided if I will swim, since the water temp may not be all that warm... I guess I will see when I get there.

Remember too , not all jelly fish are bad. While snorkling in the islands ( forget which) my wife and I where on our way back to the beach ,we started from the beach. We came across a school that was so large , had to be thousands , about the size of a cup saucer . We had no choice but to swim through them. took about 20 minutes:eek: . They had a very mild sting if any at all. Luck of the draw I guess. Also try not to be out there during tide changes..

mpk

Well not to scare anyone, but I was recently in Australia for 4 months and between November and February/March in the northern sections of Australia they have which is called "Stinger Season" where you for the most part have to wear a stinger suit to go into the water. If you get stung by one of the jelly fish up there you will die if you can't get to the hospital in time. So, I was pretty caautious going into the water around the great barrier reef when I was on my 4night catamaran cruise.

Well not to scare anyone, but I was recently in Australia for 4 months and between November and February/March in the northern sections of Australia they have which is called "Stinger Season" where you for the most part have to wear a stinger suit to go into the water. If you get stung by one of the jelly fish up there you will die if you can't get to the hospital in time. So, I was pretty caautious going into the water around the great barrier reef when I was on my 4night catamaran cruise.

Ah yes, the infamous "box" jellyfish. Very deadly. Also the Irukandji jellyfish. Both found abundantly in Australian waters. In fact, the movie "Fool's Gold" halted filming of a water scene when the little buggers were found in the water. Some are no bigger than a thumbnail. Very toxic.

Archived