Balcony Poll

kellywhitehills

How have you or would you cruise Alaska  

167 members have voted

1. 1. How have you or would you cruise Alaska

• Balcony
    • Inside Stateroom
    • Suite

Our first cruise is coming up in June and we're off to Alaska. I splurged on a balcony mostly because I like the idea of having my own little "personal bubble". I often have some social anxiety and when that happens, it will be nice to know that I can go retreat to my own cabin and still see have a view.

I welcome the cold air (I am a Floridian and OVER the hot) and plan on spending a lot of my down time on my balcony doing absolutely NOTHING.

Some of our traveling party are in inside rooms and I've already told them not to be jealous of my balcony. hehe :D

Thanks...I feel better now, since we booked one of those.

No problem....I hope I didn't scare you too much :p .

I took a few pictures of the cabin I had.....once I get them downloaded (it's "only" been 7 weeks since I returned) I'll be posting them...or at least putting a link in my signature.

I need a dark room, so I need an inside. I can always go to the upper deck and get a 360 degree view of the scenery. I will use my savings for excursions which are very expensive in Alaska!!:eek:

We are cruising about the same time. Which Ship are you on?

I took a few pictures of the cabin I had.....once I get them downloaded (it's "only" been 7 weeks since I returned) I'll be posting them...or at least putting a link in my signature.

You didn't really scare me. I have just been curious about this room for some time. My agent was not familiar with it and called the cruiseline and was told it definitely did not have a window. I have read about it on several sights and we figured we were either getting a good deal or we are very gullible. However, we figured we could handle whatever. It was a gamble we decided to take.

• Administrators

I'll be looking forward to seeing those! Thanks not only for the photos (in advance), but because some of your posts were those I found in my cabin hunt and I appreciated you doing all the groundwork I would otherwise have had to do!

I'll be looking forward to seeing those! Thanks not only for the photos (in advance), but because some of your posts were those I found in my cabin hunt and I appreciated you doing all the groundwork I would otherwise have had to do!

Thanks! I can't take all of the credit as I found out about those cabins here on CC from other posters. I finally got my pictures downloaded and I made a small album of pics of the cabin and "veranda" and views from them both:

http://picasaweb.google.com/haligonian37/Volendam7086

vbmom87 - my agent was unfamiliar with the cabin as well. When she called HAL, the representative told her the cabin absolutely didn't have a window. My TA was unconvinced until I showed her pictures I found here on CC! I think my TA should've given me a discount for teaching her something new that day :), but I did end up getting a $75 onboard credit, so who knows, maybe she did. ;)

• Administrators
A gentle bump.....so those inquiring minds don't miss the pics of 7086 ;).

Thanks Haligonian! I had missed them and I appreciate the direction to find them. To create a searchable tag for future users of the "search" feature, I'll add that I appreciate the pictures of Volendam cabin 7086. Thanks for taking the time!

Thanks! I can't take all of the credit as I found out about those cabins here on CC from other posters. I finally got my pictures downloaded and I made a small album of pics of the cabin and "veranda" and views from them both:

http://picasaweb.google.com/haligonian37/Volendam7086

vbmom87 - my agent was unfamiliar with the cabin as well. When she called HAL, the representative told her the cabin absolutely didn't have a window. My TA was unconvinced until I showed her pictures I found here on CC! I think my TA should've given me a discount for teaching her something new that day :), but I did end up getting a $75 onboard credit, so who knows, maybe she did. ;)

Thanks for posting. Did you find this part of the ship affected much by rocking? Although we did book this room, I was hesitant since both my husband and me have been seasick in the past. We plan on taking precautionary medications and are keeping our fingers crossed.

My first 3 cruises were in inside cabins, and I didn't mind them at all. My next 2 cruises were in obstructed oceanview cabins - because their price was the same as an inside. (I LOVED the location of our obstructed OV cabin on the Emerald Deck of the Coral Princess to Alaska, because it was fairly close to the library - where I spent a lot of time looking out those windows!) While it was nice to have some natural light in the cabin, I wouldn't pay more for a window.

I experienced my first balcony cabin on the Disney Wonder last week. My mom was cruising with me, and she wanted the balcony as well as a handicap-accessible cabin. On Disney ships, the HA cabins are either far farward or far aft, and ours was at the very back of the ship. Our balcony was HUGE - probably 40 feet long! I thought I might get spoiled by having a balcony, but I spent very little time there. I DID get spoiled by having a cabin the size of a normal hotel room, including a roomy bathroom with a roll-in shower as well as a tub/shower combo.

I'll have another balcony cabin next month on Adventure of the Seas, thanks to a free upgrade, but it will be the usual-sized cabin and not a much larger HA one. Then it's back to inside cabins on the Veendam to Alaska and Explorer of the Seas to Canada.

If we didn't have a balcony, I wouldn't have this shot, taken at 6:00 a.m., as the sun was just coming up! Well, I might have had the shot, but I would have had to run up topside in my robe, with no makeup on, and terrible bed-head!

Get the balcony...definitely!

92684792-M.jpg

If we didn't have a balcony, I wouldn't have this shot, taken at 6:00 a.m., as the sun was just coming up! Well, I might have had the shot, but I would have had to run up topside in my robe, with no makeup on, and terrible bed-head!

Get the balcony...definitely!

Very nice picture.

I have terrible panic attacks when I feel trapped. Its not claustrophobia because it can happen in a huge room that has a very large crowd (I HATE muster drill). So, I cannot cruise in an inside cabin. I have to see the outside world (I can't ride in a car without the window cracked open either).

I cruised Alaska with a window on Celebrity and it was nice. I cruised Canada with a balcony on Carnival and it was heaven.

On our upcoming cruise to Alaska, we have an aft balcony. Its worth the extra expense to be able to relax - I couldn't do that with an inside. For all those that can cruise in an inside cabin, I'm jealous. I would cruise more often if it was an option. CC is great in that I am learning about those special cabins and I hope to be able to land one someday - I could cruise twice as often!:)

Thanks for posting. Did you find this part of the ship affected much by rocking? Although we did book this room, I was hesitant since both my husband and me have been seasick in the past. We plan on taking precautionary medications and are keeping our fingers crossed.

I did find it rocky when we encountered rough seas for the last few days of our cruise and I did become seasick myself but other than those days, the ride was fine. I never did prepare myself for the possibility of getting seasick, which was my own stupid fault. As you can't really predict what the weather/seas will bring, being prepared and crossing your fingers is the best way to go. The rest of the cruise was wonderful....I enjoyed waking up in the morning, having a nice hot cup of coffee (thank goodness for room service!) and watching the sunrise...from bed :).

Archived