getting left behind & costs

WILLVINO

During December this year while on the Vision of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, at Cabo San Lucas I watched the last ships Tender come back to the ship. 10-15 minutes later a private launch with 10-12 ships passengers came across the harbor heading for the ship. The crew was getting ready to close hatch when they pulled up to the ship.

Then again at Mazatlan the Captain announced that the Harbor Master requested that he wait 30 minutes before leaving in case the four missing passengers arrive. 20 minutes later up pulled a cab and out staggered 4 people with party ballons tired around their heads and holding tall red drink glasses.

Its always fun to watch the shallow end of the Gene Pool come back to the ship.

I really hope that the ship will hit these individuals with a hefty fine since the other 2,400 passengers made it back on time.

Bob

In September we were delayed leaving Grand Cayman because of late passengers. The captain was livid and made no bones about it during his announcements regarding why we were late. A couple of days later we had the opportunity to have lunch with the captain and during our conversation we asked him why he didn't just leave them behind. He explained that British admiralty law requires that a ship cannot leave any British port (which of course includes the Caymans) unless all passengers that arrived on the ship are onboard.

Sounds familiar! Then we had to high tail it to make it to Cozumel on time, but actually ended up arriving ahead of schedule. Capt. Kent was certainly not happy, but DW and I got a real chuckle out of it anyhow :p

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall on Princess ships that there is a poster sign in the gangway area giving the time that PAX have to be back onboard, and I think I recall seeing the same wording on a sign on the dock at the bottom of the gangway or on the pier where the tenders dock in tender ports.

When we are on the NCL Wind last January we were at Fanning Island and we had to wait over 2 hours for a missing passager. They had to put out a search party for her. She went for a bike ride and lost track of time.... The captain stayed since no other ship would be returning to the island for 2 weeks. Of course there are no hotels on the island.... in fact they only had 2 trucks on the island, 1 nurse, 1 post master and 1 policeman and a bunch of open air huts.

OH MY GOODNESS! I have been to Fanning Island...how in the WORLD can you get lost there, it is so darn small!!!

Did the american married to the local still run the snorkel tours out of there? He was from Michigan I think, and had not been home (US) in about 8 yrs. Said they were soorly lacking in medical personnel then (only British trained nurse at that time). we were there in 1997 and it was AMAZING! He was nice, had said the kiddos went to school on Christmas island and that he craved Doritos most of all. Since we lived in Honolulu at the time (NCL had built a pier and little "school" hut on the left of the pier) we went and bought fishing supplies and pedilite for the babies that got sick (to keep them hydrated) and doritos for that guy and had the crew take it all back to them on the next run. Loved it, would love to go back!

In September we were delayed leaving Grand Cayman because of late passengers. The captain was livid and made no bones about it during his announcements regarding why we were late. A couple of days later we had the opportunity to have lunch with the captain and during our conversation we asked him why he didn't just leave them behind. He explained that British admiralty law requires that a ship cannot leave any British port (which of course includes the Caymans) unless all passengers that arrived on the ship are onboard.

Sounds familiar! Then we had to high tail it to make it to Cozumel on time, but actually ended up arriving ahead of schedule. Capt. Kent was certainly not happy, but DW and I got a real chuckle out of it anyhow :p

LOL...as I remember, Captain Kent's referred to you as the "passengers who keep time with a calendar instead of a watch".

I have to admit that one of my favorite cruise pasttimes is to hang on the rail with a big drink and watch the late arrivals run (or stagger) down the quay...you guys made my trip!

Leaving St. Martin a few years ago, we watched 3 people climb into the ship from a local motor boat. The couple were fined $500 by Princess and the poor cabin attendant girl was promptly fired and sent home from the next port.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to recall on Princess ships that there is a poster sign in the gangway area giving the time that PAX have to be back onboard, and I think I recall seeing the same wording on a sign on the dock at the bottom of the gangway or on the pier where the tenders dock in tender ports.
Yup. You really have to work hard at not knowing what time you are supposed to be back.

Leaving St. Martin a few years ago, we watched 3 people climb into the ship from a local motor boat. The couple were fined $500 by Princess and the poor cabin attendant girl was promptly fired and sent home from the next port.

Why was the cabin attendant fired? Was she with them?

Why was the cabin attendant fired? Was she with them?

Crew members are required to be back on the ship usually one hour before sailaway time. On some ships, you will see the be back onboard time listed for crew and passengers. So if she did not have a perfect work record, not being back onboard in time would be grounds for dismissal.

Dave

• 2 years later...

Me and four other friends were left behind by the Carnival Inspiration last weekend. We knew the time to be back on board was 6:30pm, with a 7pm sailing departure. We did not know, however, was that local time and ship time would be different. We missed the ship by maybe 10 minutes at the most. This information was not disseminated on Carnival's website, on our fun pass materials, etc.

Even though this was our first cruise, I actually don't have a sour taste in my mouth about cruising at all. However, I do have a bad taste in my mouth from the way we were treated at the port, and the lack of customer service from there on out. We were left in Mexico, and Carnival did not know if we have the means to get home, or anything. We also asked repeatedly what we could do to get back on the ship, and we were told, nothing...go to the airport and fly home. Obviously this is not the case, judging by the rest of this feed. We asked that our friends be notified on board (we were a group of 11, 5 of us missed the boat, 6 were still on), and this never happened. Our emergency contacts were not notified or anything. Not one helping hand was offered to us, we were pretty much kicked down the pitch black streets of Cozumel with nothing but the bathing suits on our back.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what to do from here? We would be pleased to see anything back from Carnival, even if that meant a credit toward a future cruise. It cost us $4,000 to get the five of us home from Cozumel, and we missed the last half of our trip in what was a desperately needed vacation.

We are talking to "Guest Care" but it appears we are getting nowhere. I would be so greatful to get any help.

Me and four other friends were left behind by the Carnival Inspiration last weekend. We knew the time to be back on board was 6:30pm, with a 7pm sailing departure. We did not know, however, was that local time and ship time would be different. We missed the ship by maybe 10 minutes at the most. This information was not disseminated on Carnival's website, on our fun pass materials, etc.

Even though this was our first cruise, I actually don't have a sour taste in my mouth about cruising at all. However, I do have a bad taste in my mouth from the way we were treated at the port, and the lack of customer service from there on out. We were left in Mexico, and Carnival did not know if we have the means to get home, or anything. We also asked repeatedly what we could do to get back on the ship, and we were told, nothing...go to the airport and fly home. Obviously this is not the case, judging by the rest of this feed. We asked that our friends be notified on board (we were a group of 11, 5 of us missed the boat, 6 were still on), and this never happened. Our emergency contacts were not notified or anything. Not one helping hand was offered to us, we were pretty much kicked down the pitch black streets of Cozumel with nothing but the bathing suits on our back.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what to do from here? We would be pleased to see anything back from Carnival, even if that meant a credit toward a future cruise. It cost us $4,000 to get the five of us home from Cozumel, and we missed the last half of our trip in what was a desperately needed vacation.

We are talking to "Guest Care" but it appears we are getting nowhere. I would be so greatful to get any help.

I think you have a problem here, and I doubt you will receive any compensation at all from Carnival for being left behind. Ships notify you (usually via the ships newspaper delivered to your stateroom each evening) about time changes, ships time vs port time, etc.

And it is the passengers responsibility to be back onboard at the proper time. Sorry you missed the ship on your first cruise, but as said, it is totally your responsibility to be back onboard before the ship sails. A tough (and probably expensive) lesson learned. :(

The ship did not leave you, you mised the ship. It was your responsibility to be onboard by the stated time. It is unlikely that Carnival will provide any financial assistance.

back to the ship in Livorno before it sailed.

Best advice: take a ship tour. If you're on your own and are delayed, call the ships rep in the port. That information is in the Patter.

We were on a private tour in Cornwall when our van was in an accident. We called the ship's local agent as listed in the daily paper only to receive a message that the agent was at the port and would be available the next day. We then called the port which said they had no contact with the ship. (This was a tender port). We then called the pilot station which did have contact with the ship and passed the message. We weren't left behind as several of the ship tours were late getting back also.

In 2003 we were 4 adults and 5 kids, and we missed the Adventure of the Seas in St Maarten. Spent the night there and flew to St Thomas the next morning to catch the ship. All at our expense of course (Around $2000). Out of over 60 cruises that is the only time I have missed the boat. Pretty good track record.

In 2003 my DH (Before he was my DH) went to Alaska with a group of acquaintances. Three of them kept the ship (The Sun Princess) waiting more than an hour because they were drinking in the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau. The captain sent an officer to retrieve them. Two of them came back quietly and apologized, but one got smart with the captain and threatened him with legal action if he left without her at the next port. When she got home there was a bill from Princess for $5000, and the other two had bills of $2500 each for a total of $10,000-the fine Princess had to pay for leaving the port of Juneau late. She did go to a lawyer to see if she could fight it, but he advised her to pay it.

On our Mexico cruise we left PAX behind in every port; 1 in jail, the rest drinking in bars. And twice in Barbados we have pulled away from the pier only to watch someone running towards the ship while weighted down with shopping bags.

This post raises some useful points even though I can absolutely not accept that compensation of any sort is due.

It is very easy to be critical of those that are late - these boards do criticism very well - for the most part lateness is due to a sheer lack of respect or responsibity. However we are all human and we are all equally capable of making mistakes.

The ship's captain, and the cruise line, when making the decision to leave without passengers is acting quite within its rights.

However they must surely also have a duty of care at least limited to extent that they will assist those left behind in making onward travel arrangements - of course at the passengers expense. If for example I went ashore with say $50 and I leave my credit card and passport secure in the room safe how does one suggest I arrange and pay for overnight accommodation and book a flight...let alone board then flight with nothing but a cruise card for identification.

Now, the more intransigent readers will say well 'just get back on time', or 'only go on a ships tour' but in doing so they are missing the point. That is that the reality that still needs to dealt with after the event. next time it might just be you!

However they must surely also have a duty of care at least limited to extent that they will assist those left behind in making onward travel arrangements - of course at the passengers expense. If for example I went ashore with say $50 and I leave my credit card and passport secure in the room safe how does one suggest I arrange and pay for overnight accommodation and book a flight...let alone board then flight with nothing but a cruise card for identification.

Now, the more intransigent readers will say well 'just get back on time', or 'only go on a ships tour' but in doing so they are missing the point. That is that the reality that still needs to dealt with after the event. next time it might just be you!

It is not the ships fault that a person does not have a credit card, passport, etc if they fail to return to the ship. If you have travel insurance that would give you some help. If you are unable to return to the ship because of an illness or injury Princess will help out, if you are getting drunk at a bar they don't owe you anything. The ship owes "all the passengers that did get on the ship on time" the cruise they paid for. There are always people that are late for everything and think it is just fine and everyone will wait for them. If the ship does have to wait because of a law, then the passenger should have to pay for it.

I hate it when I see people really late, just strolling back to the ship and not even hurrying. They don't care about anyone else.

While in St Petersberg on the second day 2 of the ship's bus tours had an accident while we were all inside having lunch. We had to wait about an hour for 2 more buses to be sent out to us. Both of the tour guides were in contact with the ship and told us we would not miss the second half of our tour, the ship will wait for us. Sure glad we were on a ship tour. This is why I will continue to take only the ship tours. My friends and I have always been pleased with all our tours.

We always tripple check the times and have our watches set to the ship's time. Would rather be an hour early than 1 minute late. This is the way I grew up as my dad had zero tolerance for being late, thus I never was late. I do realize that there are times when something can happen that is beyond anyone's control, even with the best of planning. But I have no tolerance for those who are habitually late, especially while on the bus tours with the short stops. My fear of missing the ship superceeds any time spent drinking, shopping, swimming, or anything else.

It is not the ships fault that a person does not have a credit card, passport, etc if they fail to return to the ship. If you have travel insurance that would give you some help. If you are unable to return to the ship because of an illness or injury Princess will help out, if you are getting drunk at a bar they don't owe you anything. The ship owes "all the passengers that did get on the ship on time" the cruise they paid for. There are always people that are late for everything and think it is just fine and everyone will wait for them. If the ship does have to wait because of a law, then the passenger should have to pay for it.

I hate it when I see people really late, just strolling back to the ship and not even hurrying. They don't care about anyone else.

I agree entirely with what you say. Maybe a second read of my post might help.

Archived