luggage locks?

kc1005

Silly question(the first of many I'm sure!)--is there a certain luggage lock we should be looking into? BIL insisted that a new lock, one that the porters can open, should be used. Really? We obviously don't travel by air much! Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks~Chris

First cruise coming up--August--Carnival Inspiration

If you use just any lock, and they want to open your suitcase they will cut and destroy the lock, unless you use the particular one you mentioned.

We use the zipties to lock our luggage, for a few bucks I buy a bag of bright assorted colors, carry a pair of fingernail clippers to cut them open. This way the airport can get into them with out damaging anything, and you will know if they or anyone else has gotten into your luggage. We carry extra to put on the way home, or if we want to lock stuff in it during the cruise.

You can get the TSA approved locks, but we never do. If they want to get into your bag, they will, whatever lock you use (and you should use a lock!) We've never had ours opened and we do fly frequently. I don't like that the so-called TSA guys can get into my bag at will. Therefore, we buy real locks with keys. If they have to get in, they can cut the locks and I'll know about it! (I do carry extras, just in case)!

The porter's, whether at the airport or the pier, have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to open your bags.

When we first started traveling, we didn't use locks. Then I had a new bottle of expensive perfume stolen either by airport or cruise ship personnel. After that we switched to the locks with keys. Now we use the TSA approved locks, and yes they have searched our luggage - when they do they leave a note - haven't had anything stolen. If they choose to search your bags, they will cut off whatever you have if it is not TSA approved.

Silly question(the first of many I'm sure!)--is there a certain luggage lock we should be looking into? BIL insisted that a new lock, one that the porters can open, should be used. Really? We obviously don't travel by air much! Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks~Chris

First cruise coming up--August--Carnival Inspiration

It's not a lock that the porters can open- it is one that the TSA can open. I don't believe there is a lock that the porters can open and there is no reason for one.

I don't like that the so-called TSA guys can get into my bag at will.

They can't. It isn't just every TSA person who has the key(s) to unlock the TSA locks. It is only the supervisor (or whatever their position is called). Bags are only unlocked if there is a real reason to unlock them, which would be if the x-ray scan turns up something that looks suspicious or unidentifiable.

Therefore, we buy real locks with keys. If they have to get in, they can cut the locks and I'll know about it!

TSA locks are real locks, LOL, and you can get them as keyed locks. They also come as combination locks using either numbers or letters.

You will know if TSA opened your bag because they have to leave a note inside stating that they did. I had my bag searched once before I got TSA locks and so my lock was cut off (they did leave the remnant in my luggage, though - how thoughtful! LOL). But that was only once in all the flights I've taken.

I have the TSA approved locks on my bags and every time I've checked them over the last couple of years, I find that note in my bag! Locks have always come through fine and nothing missing.

I never pack anything valuable in a checked bag, but wouldn't consider checking it without a TSA lock. IMO it's silly to buy a non-TSA approved lock. A waste of money when they cut it off.

I'm still confused. (First time cruiser and a blonde!) If I'm just cruising (no flights) do I still need locks and where do I buy the approved kind?

I would, expecially if you put your luggage out the night before disembarkation. Cruise personnel and porters are not the only ones that may get into your luggage--fellow passengers can, too.

You can get locks in the luggage section of most stores. I'd get the TSA kind so you don't have to get separate ones when you fly.

I'm not a fan of using any locks as I lead the league in TSA inspections. If you feel comfortable with using one certainly buy a TSA lock so they can open them without cutting off. There is not a lock that the porters can get into.

I'm still confused. (First time cruiser and a blonde!) If I'm just cruising (no flights) do I still need locks and where do I buy the approved kind?

No flights... lucky you.

I would not use any. Some people do like using the plastic zip ties but knowing my luck I'd forget bringing something to cut them off and having to bother the steward.

If one is not flying then any luggage lock can be used. Do use them. Porters at piers are typically not employed by the cruise line, nor are passengers passing in the hallway during the times your luggage sits outside your cabin door.

If one is flying and departing from a US airport use TSA approved locks, see http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm. If one uses a lock that is not approved it won't always be cut off should the bag be inspected. However, something will be cut to give the inspectors access to the bag. The something is whatever is easiest to cut, and lock hasps are rarely that.

Note: If one is flying out of a non-US airport, consult that country's TSA equivalent. Canada, for example (http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/help_aide/faq/checked_enregistre.shtml) allows airlines to break into a locked bag that requires inspection. TSA locks in such a situation would be pointless.

I purchased a TSA approved combination lock at Academy for $6.99. It also has a little dot on it that changes from green to red if the lock has been opened by a TSA security device. I sailed on Carnival a couple of weeks ago and they recommended locking your luggage. We also fly quite often and since the airports have had a rash of luggage break-ins I'm using it next time we fly also. Of course, in Houston they were just stealing people's luggage from the airport and throwing them away...they found a ton of bags that had been dumped! :eek:

You should still use locks (so nobody will pilfer through your bag and perhaps steal something, especially on the last night when your luggage is sitting outside your room and anybody can access it). You don't need the TSA kind, since nobody there has the TSA key(s), but there is not a problem using the TSA kind. So, you might as well get the TSA kind so you can use the locks when you do have to fly for other trips.

You can get TSA locks at lots of places - luggage stores; luggage sections of department stores (Sears, Macy's, etc.); Bed, Bath, & Beyond; online stores of different types; and more. There are several different types - keyed, number combo, letter (word) combo, ones that have a pop-up indicator to show TSA has opened your suitcase, all sorts of different colors, ones with steel cord instead of solid steel for the locking loop, etc.

In Canada they will request that you be present to unlock the bag. In other countries there is no TSA so the TSA locks mean nothing. I accidentally locked my bag leaving Norway and they just twisted the lock until the zipper tab broke.

Always lock your bag when flying in the US. Why would you put your things in a suitcase without a lock and just give it to other people?

Archived