Not so happy solo stories

JoKen1

Those gentlemen hosts (or dancing gigolos as I like to call them) can be real pests if you don't play the game and pretend that you are charmed by them. I guess some men (and many women) cannot understand how a woman can be happy without a man. :D

Those gentlemen hosts (or dancing gigolos as I like to call them) can be real pests if you don't play the game and pretend that you are charmed by them. I guess some men (and many women) cannot understand how a woman can be happy without a man. :D

too funny dot:D they don't know what it is like to

be happy with oneself:)

Kitty, I can't remember being put on the spot that way

but I do get a lot of "you sailing on your own" question.

Actually alot of the crew and staff ask me that too but

I have never been taken aback by them as I really think

they are being sincere with it and I get to know the bar staff

over the time of the cruise too. Love those bartenders:)

Some of the waiters are so cute though;) wish I could

bring them home with me LOL

My last cruise in December I befriended a gay before we even went on the cruise here in CC. I am married, but prefer traveling solo on my cruises. We hit it off from the start. I like to make my own judgments of people from the get-go. They can accept me or not, I truly don't care. Anyhow, turns out he changed his air reservations so that he could come to Philadelphia to fly to SJU with me for the cruise. He had dyed shocking pink hair and we were truly an odd sight, but we had so much fun together that we didn't care who was looking at us. I spent my childhood sleeping in the back of a Comet station wagon because we were afraid of our drunken step-father and of staying home in our own beds. As I have grown (to age 61), I have more or less decided that judgmental people aren't worth getting to know and I can spot them in an instant as soon as they open their mouths. Abuse comes in all forms be it child, spousal, racist, etc. I will not tolerate it one iota and will ALWAYS speak my mind. If you don't like me afterwards, it's okay with me.;)

Sometimes the ship's employees think I'm gay, even when I'm on the cruise with a female friend. On my last cruise, when my friend paid for her postcards and stamps, the ship's employee said in utter astonishment, "You have separate accounts?!" I said, "We're not a couple." Of course we had separate accounts, even though we were in the same cabin. We didn't want to have to sort through our bill afterwards and figure out who bought which smoothies, which photographs, which Bingo games, which purchases in the gift shops, etc. When we wanted to sign up for the singles dinner, the employee who was in charge of sign-ups hesitated for a split second. I didn't know if he wanted to tell us that we would be better off with the Friends of Dorothy, or if he thought that we were too old for the singles dinner. But he quickly composed himself and let us sign up for the singles dinner. We ran into him a number of times on the cruise, and he was always very nice to us.

Sometimes the ship's employees think I'm gay, even when I'm on the cruise with a female friend.

This happened to me when I went to London with a good friend several years ago and we stayed in a studio timeshare arranged by her parents. We checked in late, only to find one bed had been made up and no linens provided for the fold out sofa bed. I wrapped up in the duvet for the night and requested linens first thing the next morning. Being British, the staff handled it with the utmost cordiality and speed ;)

Kate

It amazes me how many people feel the need to pump themselves up by looking down on others and treating them disrespectfully, no matter who they are or what "position" they hold :mad:

Well said! If those types were not so horrible to others, I would almost pity them. Folks who are secure with themselves and happy with life deep down have no reason to belittle others. :)

I am hoping to do a solo cruise soon, but I won't go on one with those "hosts." (I love your name for them, BTW!! :D)

I think it's demeaning and patronizing to think that solo women need a man around so badly that they would take up with a stranger just so they can feel like a "couple." I wouldn't hesitate to tell these men to go away and don't bother me again if they became pesty.

Okay, crazy question, what is Friends of Dorothy. I have seen this listed on the daily activities, but actually thought it was a group who was with a lady named Dorothy.

Seriously, I too have cruised solo many times. I am 51, a widow and have met many wonderful people on all my cruises. I started travelling solo at the urging of one of my brothers. He said I would have a good time, and I have on all my cruises.

It's a social gathering, usually a cocktail party, for gay passengers. I read somewhere that "Dorothy" refers to the Wizard of Oz and Judy Garland, a particular favourite entertainer of the gay community. I, of course, may be totally wrong about the origin of the name. Since my name is Dorothy and since I really enjoy the company of gay men, I've been thinking of crashing one of these parties. So far I haven't had enough guts to do it. :D

It's a social gathering, usually a cocktail party, for gay passengers. I read somewhere that "Dorothy" refers to the Wizard of Oz and Judy Garland, a particular favourite entertainer of the gay community. I, of course, may be totally wrong about the origin of the name. Since my name is Dorothy and since I really enjoy the company of gay men, I've been thinking of crashing one of these parties. So far I haven't had enough guts to do it. :D

Dot, I would love to sail with you....you sound as if you are

a fun person!:D After 50 years of the name Lois, I still get the

"where is Superman" questions:rolleyes:

You are correct about the title. It is relating to Judy Garland.

Go for it. I'm sure you'd be more than welcomed. I've read of other straight passengers having a blasts. I read about an older woman who wandered into on of these gathering by mistake. From what I gathered she had a wonderful time and met some great life-long friends.

Has anyone one ever encountered racism while being on a cruise.

Yes, dnice, I have. I am a black woman and on my first solo trip on the AOS I had several memorable experiences. There were several people waiting in a line in the main dining room for the maitre'd to point us in the right direction to our tables. One elderly woman asked me if I could locate her table for her. I politely told her I was waiting for the maitre'd to help me. She looked me up and down and I assume when she saw I was not wearing a uniform turned red and profusely apologized. There was another incident on the same ship whereas another elderly woman clutched her purse as I was approaching. I thought that was hilarious! I wanted to ask her where did she think I was going to run if I snatched her pursed - in my cabin? We were at sea! Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from snapping! Other than that, I met some wonderful people and had a ball.

• 1 month later...
What is the difference between solo cruisers, and singles cruises..and do most of you get the inside cabin or which do you prefer, and do you feel safe on a cruise..

I think the difference is that intent--singles cruisers seems to imply wanting to find romantic connections on the cruise while solo doesn't-or maybe I'm just misreading this.

Anyway, in answer to your other question, I get the best cabin I can afford. I don't think I'd like an inside cabin--too small. I think I'd be claustrophobic without a window at least. I have done OV and JS cabins, I'm spoiled now and want JS. My budget does not always agree.

I've never felt in any way threatened on ship. I go out to port with shore excursions, so I'm with a group, and I haven't had a problem so far. Shore excursions are a great way to socialize too.

• 1 month later...

This thread is so interesting. I went back and read all the entries, and was fascinated by others' experiences that I've also had a hard time putting my finger on: why some people, both women and men, seem to be so threatened by a single woman traveling alone. I have never seen a man subjected to the same kind of scrutiny.

I've also encountered men that are hostile, usually men who are older than I. Maybe, like someone else said, they just can't fathom a woman not wanting a man....any man..instead of being happily single. Isn't it funny how, just walking into a room by yourself, you can inspire such reactions! I'd like to understand the psychology of it a little more.

Jane

It is refreshing to see that other people are "okay" that they are single.

I am getting ready to go on first solo cruise. It still amazes me the questions people ask. Very few understand that I am Okay with my place in life.

My family thinks that maybe I am "really" going with someone and just not saying.

I have planned on doing excursions in port so I won't be totally on my own in a different place. I am leaving some of my time flexible.

This site is great encouragement.

It is refreshing to see that other people are "okay" that they are single.

I am getting ready to go on first solo cruise. It still amazes me the questions people ask. Very few understand that I am Okay with my place in life.

My family thinks that maybe I am "really" going with someone and just not saying.

I have planned on doing excursions in port so I won't be totally on my own in a different place. I am leaving some of my time flexible.

This site is great encouragement.

Thanks for the wonderful words!

A few days ago I was talking about my upcoming cruise (about the 100th time) to one of my close co-workers and she said something that shocked me. She told me that she admire me for going on a cruise alone and enjoying going to distance places. This co-worker told me that the thought of going a ship with thousands of people and going to places I never been to and enjoying it was beyond her. I was touched and told her thanks.

There are so many people in the world that won't go beyond their comfort zone and I'm so glad that I love to go beyond!

Happy sailing!!

Thanks for the wonderful words!

A few days ago I was talking about my upcoming cruise (about the 100th time) to one of my close co-workers and she said something that shocked me. She told me that she admire me for going on a cruise alone and enjoying going to distance places. This co-worker told me that the thought of going a ship with thousands of people and going to places I never been to and enjoying it was beyond her. I was touched and told her thanks.

There are so many people in the world that won't go beyond their comfort zone and I'm so glad that I love to go beyond!

Happy sailing!!

Tamara, something similar happened to me today! I am going on my first solo, and of course was talking about it it at work, one co-worker's reaction was what? you're going alone? and before I could answer another coworker who obviously knows me well said,"and that surprises you...WHY?" lol

Made me feel better and the little concerns that I am having going solo, which I am sure I will be asking about, at least dissappeared at that moment and I just left laughing and looking forward to it!:D

• 2 months later...

Inside, outside, the ocassional balcony..but I usually

book inside.

I got very lucky for my upcoming January cruise though.

The prices dropped 3 different times:D and the last drop

was actually enough for me to go from an inside to a window and I

still received a credit back to my credit card:D

How great is that???:)

And its a full window too!

I started with oceanview cabins for my first two cruises, the next three (including the upcoming cruise in December) balconies. I toy with the idea of a junior suite but to be hoenst I'm afraid I would have one and then couldn't go back to a balcony! LOL

Archived