Pinnacle Dining Room tipping?

mister exec

What do you do for tipping in addition to the extra-cost in the Pinnacle?

Before our first HAL cruise I wrote to Holland America about this and asked if the surcharge included the tip for the Pinnacle. The amswer I got indicated that it did; however, I know that many tip above that when eating there.

The $30 per person for the Pinnacle -- the waiters get nothing from there.

Your cabin steward gets $3.50, your waitstaff splits $3.50. That means that the pool gets $3 -- that is divided among many, many people - including those that work in the Pinnacle.

Roughly speaking -- they are only getting pennies out of that $3.

The $30 per person for the Pinnacle -- the waiters get nothing from there.

Your cabin steward gets $3.50, your waitstaff splits $3.50. That means that the pool gets $3 -- that is divided among many, many people - including those that work in the Pinnacle.

Roughly speaking -- they are only getting pennies out of that $3.

On a Vista ship, 1900 passengers times $3/day is $5400. If there's 500 crew sharing that pool (800 minus officers, operations/maintenance, and others in their own pools such as the bar staff) that gives each one $10.80. Very poor pay for a PG waiter, but more than "pennies".

I was watching one of the Travel channels programs...I think it was Cruising Tips Do's & Don'ts. A cruiseline spokesperson (don't remember the line) said that the additional charge in alternative restaurants IS the tip for the servers. Now, that may be line specific, however...it makes sense that if the intent is to be cashless, if the tip was NOT included, then they would make it easy to sign such to ones cruise card. JMO.

kat

I was watching one of the Travel channels programs...I think it was Cruising Tips Do's & Don'ts. A cruiseline spokesperson (don't remember the line) said that the additional charge in alternative restaurants IS the tip for the servers. Now, that may be line specific, however...it makes sense that if the intent is to be cashless, if the tip was NOT included, then they would make it easy to sign such to ones cruise card. JMO.

kat

Quite a few regular HAL crusiers have confirmed with serversm maitre d's, beverage managers, hotel managers and numerous big wigs in Seattle - the $30 charge in the Pinnacle Grill DOES NOT INCLUDE A TIP!

Some lines (e.g., Celebrity) dedicated a small part of the charge to the servers - but those lines do not include the specialty restaurant personnel in the "auto tip" which HAL does. Still, if you think 20-30 CENTS is sufficient tip for the PG service, that's fine.

I've tipped in the PG when provided exceptional service. Unfortunately, most visits there have not earned anything extra. I feel that with the surcharge on top of an already expensive cruise fare, the PG is supposed to deliver an absolutely outstanding experience. When it's only average, in my eyes the waitstaff has not earned anything more than what they get out of the shared pool.

kat

Kat is right. I saw the same show and heard the same thing said.

.. cruiseline spokesperson (don't remember the line) said that the additional charge in alternative restaurants IS the tip for the servers.
Kat is right. I saw the same show and heard the same thing said.

Okay, I believe you both. But it is not true on HAL, so the spokesperson was from some other line. :)

The Pinnacle Grill waiters share in the pool that is funded but the $10/p/d auto-service charge, but they get nothing from the $30 surcharge. I believe you misinterpreted whatever you were told by HAL.

Perhaps you should write to HAL and see what they tell you. Perhaps they gave me wrong information, but I don't think I misinterpreted what was written.

Perhaps they gave me wrong information, but I don't think I misinterpreted what was written.
Then apparently it's another case of HAL's left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. It happens all the time there.

Could you could please quote exactly what the letter said? When your first post said "The amswer I got indicated that it did;", and that suggested to me that you were interpreting what it said.

This was just posted on the duplicate "Pinnacle Tipping" thread:

I, too, had this question. When making our Oosterdam/Pinnacle/Alaska/May reservations, the HAL agent indicated that since the waitstaff differed, tipping would be appropriate.

Archived