What do you Think? Is it Good?

sail7seas

In the event our Zuiderdam itinerary is altered to eliminate Grand Cayman and substitute Costa Maya, as they are doing this week, should we just stay on the ship?

Anyone been there who really likes it?

Anyone been there who really does not like it?

Costa Maya is a "Cruise Ship Resort." There is shopping, entertainment, food, drinks, pools, a beach and in our case, 3 large ships in port on the same day. HAL offered some shore excursions. Bob went snorkeling, I stayed at the "Resort." There was an excursion to some Mayan ruins that friends took and enjoyed. You don't have to stay on the ship.

sail7seas ... At least it'll be a NEW port stop for you! Know you've already been to most places in the Caribbean.

Our cruise in January (04) had a port stop in Costa Maya. We went to ...

Majahaul "The Little Fishing Village" OnOurOwn (Review)

We love spending the day on the beach and going to rustic beach bars so it was great for us!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thank you, Gretchen. That gives me some feel for what it is like.

Sure looks like it was built for (and only for) cruise ships. If the sun is shining, we'll enjoy a day at the beach :) IF we even go there.

OCruisers.....That sounds wonderful. IF we go to Costa Maya....that is what we shall do. Thanks so much for the link to the review. I have printed it and will save it waiting to learn if that is where we are going. :)

I'm still holding out hope that the Oct 2nd sailing of Zuiderdam may go to Progreso instead of Grand Cayman. It's going to be quite awhile before GC is ready for cruisers again.

hdawson.......Do you really like Progreso? If that is the case, what do you like so much about it? Thanks.

This info is on the HAL website, Grand Cayman is cancelled and Costa Mesa substituted. Revised itineraries are posted on HAL's site.

Hurricane Update

September 17, 2004, - 12:00 noon, PDT

A tropical storm, Hurricane Jeanne, has developed in the Caribbean. The ms Zuiderdam is not presently near the storm. Neither its 8:00 am arrival in Fort Lauderdeale on Saturday September 18th, nor its 5:00 pm departure that afternoon will be impacted by Hurricane Jeanne.

Due to the damage that was caused by Hurricane Ivan, the itineraries for the September 18th and October 2nd sailings of the ms Zuiderdam have been revised, canceling the call to Grand Cayman, and adding Costa Maya, Mexico.

Sounds good.....

As mentioned above, it will be some place new in the Caribbean we have never seen before. I am very sorry for the hardship and loss in Grand Cayman but am not unhappy we shall see something different. I'm looking forward to it.

If you like beach days, you will love Costa Maya. Trams will run you from the pier to the complex.. or you can walk.

At the complex, there is a salt water pool with lounge chairs should you care not to venture further afield.

The beach at the port is not particularly sandy due to the coral outcroppings, but the snorkeling is good. If you are looking for soft sandy beach, then I'd suggest the Uvero (sp?) Beach excursion: lovely sandy beach, clean restrooms, food available, generally calm waters......and crystal clear water.

This is NOT a shopping stop.. but a day in the sun spot.

Other folks like to stop in Progresso from where they can visit the colonial city of Merida..... or Mexican ruins. Progresso itself is a very poor town, the beach is not particularly clean.. but it's an excellent location for visiting other locations.

Different strokes for different folks as they say.

We were at Costa Maya in March of this year on a Celebrity cruise and took the ship's tour to the Mayan ruins. I had been interested in seeing any of the ruins and these were only about 45 minutes away. I'm sure they were not as large as some of the others but were really interesting.

It was hot in March so am sure it will be even warmer in Oct. Take water.

Partsy

This info is on the HAL website, Grand Cayman is cancelled and Costa Mesa substituted. Revised itineraries are posted on HAL's site.

Hurricane Update

September 17, 2004, - 12:00 noon, PDT

A tropical storm, Hurricane Jeanne, has developed in the Caribbean. The ms Zuiderdam is not presently near the storm. Neither its 8:00 am arrival in Fort Lauderdeale on Saturday September 18th, nor its 5:00 pm departure that afternoon will be impacted by Hurricane Jeanne.

Due to the damage that was caused by Hurricane Ivan, the itineraries for the September 18th and October 2nd sailings of the ms Zuiderdam have been revised, canceling the call to Grand Cayman, and adding Costa Maya, Mexico.

I have a horrible time finding anything I am looking for on the HAL site.

I tried to find this notice and could not.

Where did you find it, please?

I have a horrible time finding anything I am looking for on the HAL site.

I tried to find this notice and could not.

Where did you find it, please?

S7S

The HAL site is not always user friendly, nor is there very much info that changes on the site. A bit of a disappointment. Taszmom's post is correct as far as finding the info goes.

Taszmom

http://www.puertocostamaya.com/eng/ this link was posted in an earlier post, you might find what you're looking for on here.

Hi everyone, My hubby & I were in Costa Maya in April with RCCL Splendour of the Seas, We had a wonderful day there. We visited Chacchoben Mayan Ruins, our tour guide Letty was awesome, she knew her history and made both the bus trip and the tour wonderful. (yes it was hot)

The developers of this new destination are doing a great job, it has a real nice shore line, beautiful color water and they put on several shows in the pool and shopping area specially for everyone visiting (no charge).

The Grand Princes was in port on the same day, no problem it's a very long docking pier. The area outside the dock area is as usual partly jungle and wild scenery. We did not have time to go to Majahaul, so cannot tell you about the village.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you go there, and you might check out the RCCL website for info, as has been a regular stop for some of their ships.

Anyone on Zuiderdam Oct 23rd?

S7S---

I was there on my last Western Carribean cruise. Knowing you only from the board, I would guess that you would not like the little disneyland that is Costa Maya- itself. It is like a Epcot version of what Mexico is like. A cruise ships pier that has been expanded into a small port.

Lots of cheap trinkets to buy ! Makes the ships shops look like Rodeo Drive.

The pools and so forth are okay for families who want an easy beach day.

We did an excursion which we really loved out to some remote place on the Yucatan peninsula. It was quite interesting.

If I were to go back I would take the taxi or walk to Majahual. It is a very small authentic village. They just got electricity the week before we were there !

If you can take it for what it is and not expect more you many find it to be interesting.

Thank you so much everyone. Really. Loads of very helpful info and I appreciate it.

Jacqueline....I think you are probably correct that we might enjoy seeing that 'real village' vs. the Epcot Version. ( You called it exactly right....we have never gone to Epcot. We'd rather go to the place they are imitating. :))

Thanks for the links and for the one to RCI......Good info. I'm really looking forward to exploring there a bit. We love to walk and think we may see how far it is to walk (or taxi) to see 'something with some reality'.

I'm so happy I asked this question here.

Archived