Have you flown on RyanAir??

browneyes7

I hae used them several times. Biggest problem is low baggage allowance (15kg), but the airline itself carries a lot of baggage. Sure, their fares are cheap but they charge you for ANYTHING else they can think of eg. checking in a bag, sports eqpt, and EVEN for checking in at the airport (they want you to check in on line and carry no luggage).

Even the alcoholic drinks come in plastic sachets rather than bottles (to save weight I presume) and taste vile!

Be very selective- if the flight and price (and restrictions) suit you, go for it.

PS some of the airports they use are very secondary eg for Glasgow they do not use the international airport 10 miles from the city centre, but, Prestwick which they describe as glasgow but is in fact 40 miles away.

I was on holidays in Europe recently and of all the budget airlines I used, Ryanair were by far the worst. Try Wizz, airberlin, sterling, or easyjet before ryanair even if they are a little more expensive.

Ryanair is a budget airline. The planes themselves are nice and comfortable. No different from any other airline. Although cheap in cost they do charge for everything and the check in luggage is not very generous.

Although cheap in cost they do charge for everything and the check in luggage is not very generous.
Baggage is a big issue for cruise passengers who are thinking of flying Ryanair.

For example, a typical cruise passenger might bring 30 kg (66 lbs) of baggage in two checked bags. Ryanair charges £12 per bag to check in, plus £7.50 per kg over 15 kg, plus £3 to use the airport check-in desk. Total £139.50. Each way. On top of your fare.

When Ryanair are imposing these sorts of charges, a full service airline's "expensive" all-inclusive £150 round-trip fare suddenly looks cheap.

We flew Ryan Air from Prestwick to Beavais (Paris ??) a few years ago. Cheap flights but they charge for excess baggage like there is no tomorrow. We had 15 Kilo limit per head (four travelling), and we weighed in 4 Kilos over and they charged us an extra £32. So be careful what you pack.

A nice summary for the some of the European LCC's:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Discount_airlines_in_Europe

It's always amazing to see the passion (mostly negative) that any mention of Ryanair brings out in people. I have never flown them but would like to experience it for myself sometime (packing very lightly of course).

I agree with the majority. I hate Ryanair with a passion. As well as all the other criticisms, they also fly into the most out of the way airports you can imagine. My favourite low cost airline is Jet2.com. None of the pre-boarding scrum as they allocate seat numbers. They also fly into the bigger airports in places like Rome and Venice. It's always a good idea over here to check where the airport actually is. Some airlines (like Ryanair) fly into airports that are actually a long way from the city advertised. (E.g. Venice Treviso or Beauvais Paris) :)

It's always amazing to see the passion (mostly negative) that any mention of Ryanair brings out in people. I have never flown them but would like to experience it for myself sometime (packing very lightly of course).
I think that the same sort of passion would be aroused by any service provider that positively prides itself on treating its customers badly. Other than sado-masochist brothels, it's hard to think of any comparable outfit.
Some airlines (like Ryanair) fly into airports that are actually a long way from the city advertised. (E.g. Venice Treviso or Beauvais Paris)
Occasionally, even a different country on the other side of a large body of water: Ryanair used to advertise "Copenhagen", when the airport was actually Malmo in Sweden, on the other side of the Oresund.

I think that the same sort of passion would be aroused by any service provider that positively prides itself on treating its customers badly. Other than sado-masochist brothels, it's hard to think of any comparable outfit.

Have you ever been onboard one of their flights? How bad can it really be as long as you know what to expect and pack accordingly?

I have flown on them twice. Once to Rome and once to Knock. And there were no problems. The seats were comfortable and I sat with everyone I wanted to. The only thing that bugged me was there constant selling of Scratchcards. I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

However as for their promotional image that is a lot to be desired. If anything goes wrong they do tend to blame everyone but themselves. I have not had to go through this thank goodness.

I have flown on them twice. Once to Rome and once to Knock. And there were no problems. The seats were comfortable and I sat with everyone I wanted to. The only thing that bugged me was there constant selling of Scratchcards. I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

However as for their promotional image that is a lot to be desired. If anything goes wrong they do tend to blame everyone but themselves. I have not had to go through this thank goodness.

I suppose you can only say what you experienced, and that's fair enough. But when you flew into Rome you flew into Ciampino, right? Miles outside of the city centre and with virtually no transport links into the city. That's unless you count the ridiculously overcrowded Ryanair bus service. The main Rome airport is Fiumicino, or Leonardo Da Vinci as it's called these days. Links into the city from there are many and various. It's also a proper airport and not a bus shelter masquerading as an airport.

When we flew into Ciampino on our last (hopefully last ever) flight with Ryanair, we hired a private Mercedes (not too expensive either) and watched people literally fighting as they jostled and pushed each other for a place on the bus. No thanks! Never again with Ryanair.:mad:

Yes we flew into Ciampino airport. not the best of airports. In fact it is slightly nearer to the City Centre, (14 miles) than Fiumicino Airport (16 miles).

The transportation available is not the best. We also used a Mercedes. As there were 4 of us, the cost was not much difference than buying 4 coach tickets, and we got door to door service.

Just when I finally decided to use Ryanair from Stansted or Heathrow to Dublin, I am having second thoughts after reading this (our luggage will be more than 33 pounds..I thought 44 was more the norm in Europe). I can't believe how difficult it is proving to be, to go on our next cruise. We fly into Gatwick, and have an overnight, so we are taking the train into London for some siteseeing. We'll be pulling luggage on the train. Then we leave London, again on the train to get to Harwich. Then we still have to figure out how to get to Dublin. One person says, grab a cab to Stansted and go from there (that 'grabbed' train is 75 GBP!)...but all I see from there to Dublin is Ryanair. Another person suggested we use the ship transport and leave from London..but that's pretty pricey too. And Aerlingus also charges for luggage.

Man, this is frustrating! If I hadn't already paid for the air to London and the cruise, I think I would rethink this cruise.

Just when I finally decided to use Ryanair from Stansted or Heathrow to Dublin, I am having second thoughts after reading this (our luggage will be more than 33 pounds..I thought 44 was more the norm in Europe). I can't believe how difficult it is proving to be, to go on our next cruise. We fly into Gatwick, and have an overnight, so we are taking the train into London for some siteseeing. We'll be pulling luggage on the train. Then we leave London, again on the train to get to Harwich. Then we still have to figure out how to get to Dublin. One person says, grab a cab to Stansted and go from there (that 'grabbed' train is 75 GBP!)...but all I see from there to Dublin is Ryanair. Another person suggested we use the ship transport and leave from London..but that's pretty pricey too. And Aerlingus also charges for luggage.

Man, this is frustrating! If I hadn't already paid for the air to London and the cruise, I think I would rethink this cruise.

Everything is going to seem pricey over here compared to the USA. I have never been to Ireland, but I believe it is even more expensive than here in England. One other alternative would be to take a train from London to Liverpool and get the Dublin ferry. The train is pretty cheap if you book standard off-peak and even first class is cheap if you go at the right time. You also get to see the best city on the planet! It's just a thought. Don't even think about cancelling. You'll love it over here. If it has to be Ryanair, then just sit back and go with the flow. Enjoy your trip!:) T

Our dollar is better in Ireland than in London right now...unless you mean actual costs of things. Our son lives there so once we are there, we get a break (they'll tote us and feed us, and give us a place to sleep LOL!). Getting there has been the challange. I just emailed my TA asking about cruise prices for staying at the hotel they have and transfers. I don't think the agravation is going to be worth it, doing it on out own (even though my hotel will charge a cancellation fee), plus I see the cruise has a tour the last day, which includes getting to Heathrow. We might end up that route after all. Although someone else mentioned the ferry, and that sounds like a nice trip. Is the ferry right in Liverpool (which is where my grandfather was born..so it would be nice ot see the area), or I think someone else mentioned a cab or tube ride. Does the train go direct from Harwhich to Liverpool?

Thanks so much to those of you trying to help me figure this out.

Everything is going to seem pricey over here compared to the USA. I have never been to Ireland, but I believe it is even more expensive than here in England. One other alternative would be to take a train from London to Liverpool and get the Dublin ferry. The train is pretty cheap if you book standard off-peak and even first class is cheap if you go at the right time. You also get to see the best city on the planet! It's just a thought. Don't even think about cancelling. You'll love it over here. If it has to be Ryanair, then just sit back and go with the flow. Enjoy your trip!:) T

My DH and I are planning a trip to Europe, and may need to fly from one European country to another. Have any of you used RyanAir, and would you use it again? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

browneyes7:)

I flew with them from Denmark to London and didn't have any problems at all. The only reason I would pick someone else would be if I needed to bring more luggage than they allow within their regular ticket price.

Have you ever been onboard one of their flights? How bad can it really be as long as you know what to expect and pack accordingly?
Actually, I have tried to get onboard one of their flights once, specifically for the purpose of doing a day trip to see what flying Ryanair is like. But I had to abandon the trip when the outbound flight had reached a 4½-hour weather delay, and I would have missed my return flight. As Ryanair's policies made it too risky to gamble on getting back on another flight that day, I chucked in my hand and left.

But treating passengers badly is well advertised and publicised by Ryanair, often by Ryanair's chief executive himself. Little backup, and little assistance when things go wrong. Strict adherence to every word of every restrictive policy. The removal of every creature comfort from their aircraft, like seats that don't recline and have no seat pockets, and windows that have no window shades. As with much airline service, it isn't just what's in the air when all is going well that's important - it's what service is provided on the ground, and what happens when things are running badly.

And Aerlingus also charges for luggage.

Two things-Yes, AerLingus charges for baggage-approx $12.00 check in fee. BUT they allow 44 pounds. RyanAir not only charges a check in fee, but also charges BIG BUCKS over their weight limit.

How are you getting home back to the USA??? And from where????

If by chance you are flying AerLingus out of Dublin and are flying intra Europe WITHIN two weeks of your US departure, the 2 bag, 40 pound per bag US limit applies.

"For Aer Lingus journeys between North America and UK/Europe, the baggage allowance for North America flights will apply to the entire journey within two weeks of initial departure date."

Just food for thought.

I'm not exactly sure what your itinerary is, but I checked a few things. We, also, had a multi-leg trip last April/May that included time in London pre-cruise, and in the UK post-cruise.

What I found is National Express goes from Gatwick-London for about $25 pp one way. Aer Lingus goes Gatwick-Dublin for $28 pp one way. We used National Express several times on our trip in 2007 and found them very comfy and efficient.

So, I would bus from Gatwick to London, which takes you into the Victoria Station area. We found a lovely and inexpensive hotel there for around $150 per night: the Luna and Simone.

We packed to the lowest denominator: for us it was EasyJet for our leg back into the UK. Pack for Aer Lingus, and the rest is going to be fine.

Leave your luggage at the Left Luggage vendor in Gatwick, and take an overnight bag on the National Express bus with you to London. Back again the following afternoon, pick up your luggage for your flight to Dublin. There's a flight leaving around 5 PM, so you have the whole day to sightsee and get back to Gatwick.

That way you only take luggage along that you need, and don't have to lug it around with you. We did just that when we did our post-cruise in the UK: we packed one bag for both of us, and left the other one at the Left Luggage vendor.

We're already barebones with the luggage, and wouldn't leave it. We have some medical supplies, and I just don't have room for an overnight bag. I wouldn't leave it out of the country anyway, in case something goes wrong and we couldn't get it. But thanks for the suggestion and idea, even if we can't use it.

Our itinerary is to fly into Gatwick from Upstate NY (stopover in NYC) on Delta, the morning before the cruise. We had planned on taking the train to London and staying at Luna Simone Hotel.

Then we were going to take the train to the cruise port (Harwhich).

After the cruise we need to go to Dublin...I thought it would be an easy fly.

After some time in Dublin, we will leave on Delta, back to NY. We didn't fly Aerlingus this time, because the closest is a 3.5 hour drive or shuttle (a not so cheap shuttle) from home.

I am waiting to hear from our TA..at this point, it's just getting too confusing, too much worrying about missing the cruise, missing the flight to Dublin, etc. and I asked how much to include transfers and one night hotel in London. I don't know if the cruise line has a certain airport we'll have to fly out of. I also see that the cruise has an excursion after our cruise to site see in London and then onto the airport. It just seems so much easier, although I will lose my hotel downpayment, and I'm sure I'll spend a lot more. But a lot less headaches. Once I have a price, I'll decide what the heck we should do.

I learned from this..pick ports closer to the airport from now on.

Archived