Denali Tundra Wilderness Tour

sltb47

Could anyone suggest a company to book this tour with or would it be possible to get one once you are at the lodge? Would like to get a refund from Princess on the Natural History tour and do the Tundra Wilderness instead. Thanks

I booked the Copper River Explorer Cruisetour starting 8/12 with the cruise on the Island Princess starting 8/18. Princess told my TA that they didn't have any Tundra Wilderness Tours available, but that they might try to get more from the park service. I booked the cruisetour and then went home and called directly and got my reservation for the TWT. Then I had my TA call Princess and get them to take $80 off each booking. (The TWT is a little over $100/person.) Actually, it isn't the park service that does the TWT. The park service has a contract with Aramark (yes, the people who have the concessions at all the stadiums). I was pleasantly surprised when I did the TWT last year how good it was and the quality of the driver/tour guide. (Although the "box lunch" they give you isn't exactly gourmet!)

I never recommend the Tundra Wilderness tour, to independent bookings. IF you can get your refund from Princess, consider booking the 1/3 price shuttle buses, who get farther into the park- farther yields more scenery and more wildlife.

With the above booking on their own- do they know the pick up location??? Some do pick up at the lodges but some don't. You then have to find your own transportation there. With the shuttles, I suggest a booking of 9am or later- to at least Fish Creek/Eielson. Princess Lodge does run Access Center shuttles. You also need 2 nights at the Denali Princess, it is very difficult and you have to know your timing, if you only have one night.

Archived