Travel Insurance

I use STATRAVEL.com which is a student travel site but they insure anyone.

When you are deciding whether or not to buy it consider that med evacuation costs around 25,000$ or so. And even though you are probably in good health accidents occur. I wouldn't ever consider sailing without it.

There was a thread this week, where a woman's sil was sailing and her mother passed away very suddenly. Insurance would pay for you to get home from a port and all the expenses involved.

You can guarantee no one will get the flu before you go.

Every last driver on the road the day you drive to the port is:

Sober

Safe

Competant

and every car has new tires

every car is in perfect running order

That nothing will happen to your home prior to departure

That no one will slip and brake a bone prior to departure

Other that these and probably another thousand reasons, there is no need to buyt insurance.

If you can absorb the loss of the money you've spent without undo hardship, then you don't HAVE to have insurance! Most folks don't want to risk losing that money, and for them, insurance is a good thing!

We have taken trips without insurance, and with it---mainly now, because of a health issue my husband has. BUT--it's not a requirement!!!

I insure for the big stuff and self-insure for the small stuff. I have bought for my wife and I an evacuation and medical policy that covers me for a full year for any trips I take either in the US or overseas. The only limitation is a maximum trip length of 70 days. If I remember it correctly, is covers 500k for medical and 500k for evacuation.

It cost us ~$350 for the 2 of us for the year.

IMHO, trip cancellation, trip interruption, luggage loss, etc. is a waste of money.

DON

I recommend Travel Guard's Pack and Go insurance (it's what I buy)

It doesn't have coverage for cancellation, but it does cover your medical and some other things while on the cruise.

I always figure better safe than sorry. It runs us about $35 a person, so it's a small price to pay.:)

I just got off Explorer in Dec; we did 9 night E. Caribbean. I've been on about 10 cruises, different lines, including other RCL ships, and this was the absolute BEST CRUISE i have ever been on.

Food was fantastic, Entertainment Great, the Cruise Director was really the best EVER!

You'll have a fantastic time.

If you're intersted in some pics, you can view them by CLICKING HERE

Take care.

Just make sure you read the fine print before signing up. They dont cover all problems. And never at 100%. Unless you pay a huge premium. Even without ins. the odds are still in your favor.
STA travel does not charge a huge premium, no pre-existing condition if taken within 14 days of booking. They charge by the length of time, $48.00 for a 7 day cruise, no age limit.Do the math peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

Is it necessary to purchase travel insurance for a cruise? We are leaving from NJ on Explorer of the Seas on 3/28/08. We won't be flying, we are driving to the ship. What insurance co. would you recommend? Any info would be helpful.

Based on your sail date, you've already made final payment. Finding the right policy to cover you now may be difficult, as most policies require you to purchase within two weeks or so of initial deposit (to cover pre-existing conditions) or within 24 hours of final payment.

Based on your sail date, you've already made final payment. Finding the right policy to cover you now may be difficult, as most policies require you to purchase within two weeks or so of initial deposit (to cover pre-existing conditions) or within 24 hours of final payment.

This is very untrue if you have no pre-existing conditions you can purchase up to around 72-48 hours before sailing with most of the companies, statravel included.

We would never travel w/o insurance. We can afford the insurance. We can't afford losing the entire cost of a cruise or any medical expenses that could arise when we're outside of the US. For us, it's simply piece of mind. This is the first time though we've felt it necessary to purchase it right away so that we have pre-existing coverage (DH has cardiac issues). We've always used Travel Guard.

Oh, and for the record... I'm the one w/the SIL whose mother passed away (here at home) the first night of their cruise. They chose not to come home as nothing would change if they did. They are expected back in Michigan tonight. The funeral is Monday. But they do have insurance. Do you know why? Because I convinced them in 04 they needed it for our 05 cruise that they were suppose to go on. The week before, my DB slipped on the ice and busted his ankle in three places. He was in surgery instead of on a cruise. The insurance took care of everything (cruise and flights).

Cathy

We would never travel w/o insurance. We can afford the insurance. We can't afford losing the entire cost of a cruise or any medical expenses that could arise when we're outside of the US. For us, it's simply piece of mind. This is the first time though we've felt it necessary to purchase it right away so that we have pre-existing coverage (DH has cardiac issues). We've always used Travel Guard.

Oh, and for the record... I'm the one w/the SIL whose mother passed away (here at home) the first night of their cruise. They chose not to come home as nothing would change if they did. They are expected back in Michigan tonight. The funeral is Monday. But they do have insurance. Do you know why? Because I convinced them in 04 they needed it for our 05 cruise that they were suppose to go on. The week before, my DB slipped on the ice and busted his ankle in three places. He was in surgery instead of on a cruise. The insurance took care of everything (cruise and flights).

Cathy

Cathy, I am the one above who used you as an example but your story really made a point about why anyone should have insurance. My heart goes out to your family.

I think those of us who cruise frequently are saying "Just Do It!" Having worked as an RN Case Manager in a hospital close to a Florida port I cannot tell you how important this is. Yes, lost luggage, cancelling due to family emergency, becoming ill on the cruise, getting hurt on the cruise is almost always covered by travel insurance (read your disclaimers) ....you would be surpised at how many times the ships have to "turn around" and come back to port because someone has fallen...usuallly around the pool area. Young or old...seen it all, been there to help families cope with it both with disappointments, tragedies, and financial costs always factor in.

I recommend Travel Guard's Pack and Go insurance (it's what I buy)

It doesn't have coverage for cancellation, but it does cover your medical and some other things while on the cruise.

I always figure better safe than sorry. It runs us about $35 a person, so it's a small price to pay.:)

I just got off Explorer in Dec; we did 9 night E. Caribbean. I've been on about 10 cruises, different lines, including other RCL ships, and this was the absolute BEST CRUISE i have ever been on.

Food was fantastic, Entertainment Great, the Cruise Director was really the best EVER!

You'll have a fantastic time.

If you're intersted in some pics, you can view them by CLICKING HERE

Take care.

Could you please give me s'more information on the package you're referring to? I attempted to look it up on "insuremytrip.com" and not quite sure which Travel Guard policy you are referring to. There are several mentioned but none that state "pack & go".

Thanks much!

I believe in insuring for the the big stuff (medical emergencies & medical evacuations) and self-insuring for the little stuff (trip delay, trip cancellation, loss of luggage, being hit by a meteorite, etc). You save a bunch of money that way.

I bought a policy that covers my wife and I for a full year for 500k medical and 500k evacuation expenses (as long as the trip is not longer than 70 days) for ~$300 for the 2 of us. If I have to cancel a trip and am out the trip cost of a few thousand dollars, I would not be happy but I can easily afford it.

If I get sick and have to pay to be medically evacuated, I can't afford.

Basically, it depends upon what you think the odds of collecting are and how insecure you are.

DON

Cathy, I am the one above who used you as an example but your story really made a point about why anyone should have insurance. My heart goes out to your family.

Yes, I know Sue. Thank you. I am a very strong believer in insurance. Maybe because it's something I've never had to do w/o. I can't imagine not having health insurance over the course of the last year. My DH's medical expenses easily exceeded $750,000 during 2007. We never take insurance for granted.

I'm anxiously awaiting the first call to me from my SIL. I believe their flight lands in Grand Rapids around 10 tonight (a little over 2 hrs from now).

Cathy

Yes, I know Sue. Thank you. I am a very strong believer in insurance. Maybe because it's something I've never had to do w/o. I can't imagine not having health insurance over the course of the last year. My DH's medical expenses easily exceeded $750,000 during 2007. We never take insurance for granted.

I'm anxiously awaiting the first call to me from my SIL. I believe their flight lands in Grand Rapids around 10 tonight (a little over 2 hrs from now).

Cathy

You sound like you had our 2003 last year, hubby racked up close to 600,000 and 100,000 in the hospital for one week. Thank goodness for good insurance. My best to your family and my thoughts and prayers will be with you over the coming days.

You sound like you had our 2003 last year, hubby racked up close to 600,000 and 100,000 in the hospital for one week. Thank goodness for good insurance. My best to your family and my thoughts and prayers will be with you over the coming days.

It was 2004 for my hubby!! His brain surgery alone was almost $100,000 :eek: We always purchase insurance.

Cathy, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

###

It was 2004 for my hubby!! His brain surgery alone was almost $100,000 :eek: We always purchase insurance.

Cathy, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

###

You ladies notice a pattern here? The husbands have all given us worry and grief:D

So now we know why there is insurance.... it's the men!!!

It was one year ago today my DH had a 4 way bypass and part of his heart muscle removed. That was a week after having his left knee replaced and a heart attack followed. Now he has an ICD implant and is amazingly stronger and in better shape than he was before. Of course the extra 60 lbs he was carrying is gone, he continues to go to cardiac rehab 3 x week and walks 3 days for 3 miles+. In our eyes, he's simply amazing and I am so proud of him. That pretty much sums up why we need pre-existing language on our insurance now.

Cathy

So now we know why there is insurance.... it's the men!!!

It was one year ago today my DH had a 4 way bypass and part of his heart muscle removed. That was a week after having his left knee replaced and a heart attack followed. Now he has an ICD implant and is amazingly stronger and in better shape than he was before. Of course the extra 60 lbs he was carrying is gone, he continues to go to cardiac rehab 3 x week and walks 3 days for 3 miles+. In our eyes, he's simply amazing and I am so proud of him. That pretty much sums up why we need pre-existing language on our insurance now.

Cathy

yikes, my husbands cancer seems tame compared to that. Luckily one good really nasty surgery to remove all his lymph nodes was all my hubby needed.

Archived