How big is Labadee?

TravlGrl

It's also served at Dragon's point. There's nice bar and restroom at that end also. My guess is it's about a 10 minute walk. There is a tram that runs back and forth also but the walk isn't that bad.

Good, thanks, I think that is where we will go, a little snorkeling and subathing, labadoozie's and relaxation. Less than 90 days!

From the posts I had read, it appeared that the only option was a traditional BBQ with many meat choices. I can get by on salad and fruit for a few hours, but not much more than 4 hours probably. Salads at BBQs are typically just a green salad (which is a great side dish to go with a hamburger or hot dog), but I don't expect them to be providing a bunch of pasta options at a BBQ, and any substantial salad options, unless I'm picturing the BBQ completely incorrect. I don't think I saw anywhere where there would be substantial food options like that for non-meat eaters, so I was hoping someone would have a recommendation. It's ok for me to not have non-meat options on Labadee, as long as I know in advance, as I certainly don't expect them to cater to the minority.

Perhaps I can ask the Windjammer to just put together a "to go" container of a variety of pasta salads and more hearty foods other than just the probable green salad I may experience at the BBQ.

I'm not a salad person, so perhaps my memory is faulty, but I believe that some form of macaroni salad was available at Labadee. Perhaps someone else here can confirm if I am correct. Otherwise I would certainly ask at the Windjammer and I am pretty certain that they can will see that you will be able to provide something suitable for you while you are onshore.:)

You get your basic hamburgers and hotdogs, potato salad, tea, lemonade, for free. Not great but fills the stomach. Alcohol drinks are normal cruise prices.

There were ribs too. Take your coke card with you for use on the island.

What a great map! Everything appears to be fairly close to the tender pier and Dragon's Breath looks easily walkable. I have another question regarding the food situation. I am a vegetarian. It sounds like there will be no non-meat options for me other than condiments. LOL! Is it ok for me to pack a lunch that I purchased from the ship, and bring it with me to the island?

I think I remember salad, rolls, and fruit. I don't remember in any detail as I'm a meatetarian, so I'm in 7th heaven.

Labadee in 85 days!

Ask your waiter who you need to talk to about getting a veggie burger ........he can make sure some are sent over and you will just need to ask at the BBQ.

And they do have more salads than just green salad. I don't think you will have a problem finding enough food.

Labadee is surprisingly nice. Relatively clean, easy to get around, plenty to do (or just loll around). They'll tell you on the ship that beach chairs are in limited supply...don't believe it, that's just not true. You can get one anytime...you can even choose sun or shade. You gotta tip the guy who sets it up for you, a buck or two per chair. No cabs, no traveling around except on foot around the beaches...you really don't want to go into Haiti anyway unless you're some sort of humanitarian adventurer.

Labadee will probably be the highlight of your trip. The ports just...well, I'm looking a nice word but I'm having problems finding one...

;)

Ask your waiter who you need to talk to about getting a veggie burger ........he can make sure some are sent over and you will just need to ask at the BBQ.

And they do have more salads than just green salad. I don't think you will have a problem finding enough food.

Great to hear, thanks!

If you want real seclusion then I'd recommend the Castaway at Malfini Beach excursion there at Labadee. On Google maps I believe it is located:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=labadee+haiti&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.052282,57.744141&ie=UTF8&ll=19.765406,-72.276666&spn=0.002913,0.003524&t=h&z=18&*****=0

I am confused by the location you have indicated on this map. The photo you have on your album shows a shore line directly across a small amount of water from the beach you were on, but the location on your map seems to indicate a large amount of open water directly in front of the beach area.

I've got a spot marked on my Labadee map for Malfini, which I deduced from examining several photographs from other previous visitors. Can you take a look and see what you think?

I guess I really need someone going there to take a GPS and find out for sure!

Theron

That may be an excellent suggestion. On our first cruise the night before our waiter mentioned he was working the barbeque and made sure we knew everything we needed, we saw him at the barbeque and he even came out to make sure we were doing ok. I have no doubt that if he would had a request like yours, he would have made sure we were taken care of it.

There were ribs too. Take your coke card with you for use on the island.

Yes, SueL reminded me:) . I probably should've included them and the bbq chicken in my post, but was just trying to make the point that it's not a pig roast or anything like that. Just what you'd expect at a backyard cookout, imo.

I am confused by the location you have indicated on this map. The photo you have on your album shows a shore line directly across a small amount of water from the beach you were on, but the location on your map seems to indicate a large amount of open water directly in front of the beach area.

I've got a spot marked on my Labadee map for Malfini, which I deduced from examining several photographs from other previous visitors. Can you take a look and see what you think?

I guess I really need someone going there to take a GPS and find out for sure!

Theron

Theron,

I think you are probably correct on your location for Malfini Beach. I didn't think it was that far into that main inlet though, but you could see a house across the way that does look like that house on Google.

I know that you couldn't see the ship from there.

I agree. I'm a vegiterian and while I didn't ask to have a a veggiburger sent over there was enough fruit and other salads that it wasn't a probblem. I had plenty to eat.

Labadee is the tip of Haiti. It is usually very crowded on the beaches close to the ship. There are large shade trees on some spots on the beache but they get crowded VERY early (One time a family started moving someones things to get under the shade and there was almost a fight) Even if there are no fights we found under the trees for shade noisy and crowded. If you have small kids there's a cute play area for the kids on the beach. If you are willing to walk a little and drag the beach chairs down the beach we found down by Dragon's Breath to be less crowded. But that was before the zipline was in so I'm not sure if it's crowded there now. Bring water shoes. Alot of the beaches in Labadee have large coral in the water. There are no taxis but there is a tram that takes you through parts, but we found it's not too far to walk around. This time we're bringing a beach umbrella for our cruise. They have lounge chairs for free but I'm not sure if they have umbrellas. There are several bathrooms and the set up the BBQ in at least 2 spots. Nothing is really too far to walk. I hope this helps. Check out youtube for some video of Labadee

Are there already beach chairs down at Dragon's Breath? I think I've read twice now about people dragging their chairs, but wondering if that's really necessary. :confused: I would think there would be beach chairs/loungers spread throughout the beaches on Labadee, no?

Also, people say the beaches fill up early. What is considered early? If we tender at 8 a.m. what time would you recommend we exit the ship?

We were there in Dec. and it was much smaller/compact than I had thought when I looked at all the maps. For example, we walked from the peir to our right down to the SeaTrek Water slide. For lunch we ended up walking back toward the peir and then down to the lunch area by Dragon's Breath - it really wasn't that far. After lunch, we did take the tram back which was nice as we got to go by the market area - and that was close enough for me. We really enjoyed the day!

Not sure about Dragon's Point beach. Hideaway beach which is just south of there (check tpkeller's great map a few posts back) has chairs.

Regardless I wouldn't be lugging any chairs around when there's always someone willing to do it for a couple bucks bucks.

Regardless I wouldn't be lugging any chairs around when there's always someone willing to do it for a couple bucks bucks.

Ah, good point!

What time would you recommend we leave the ship if we tender at 8 a.m.? (I would love to not leave the ship until 10 a.m....but is it super packed by then?)

My DH and I were in Labadee in August 07. We took a shuttle (tram) to Hideaway Beach, there were plenty of chairs and a small tiki bar right there. A restroom was closeby as well. There was an amazing view of our ship as well. It's possible to walk but it's a bit farther from where the tender lets you off... so it wasn't really that crowded.

My DH and I were in Labadee in August 07. We took a shuttle (tram) to Hideaway Beach, there were plenty of chairs and a small tiki bar right there. A restroom was closeby as well. There was an amazing view of our ship as well. It's possible to walk but it's a bit farther from where the tender lets you off... so it wasn't really that crowded.

Ah, good point!

What time would you recommend we leave the ship if we tender at 8 a.m.? (I would love to not leave the ship until 10 a.m....but is it super packed by then?)

We were there on the LOS and even though Labadee is not that big of an area, we never felt crowded anyplace we went. Guess everyone was pretty well spread out doing different things.

Archived