Missed GRAND CAYMENS Med. EMG. $25.00 Credit

Deb&Bert

Just was wondering...

We had a ship board MEDICAL EMG. on the LIBERTY last week. It was the 6 day cruise out of Pt. Everglades.. On Tuesday it was announced around noon that we were turning around to MEET the COST GUARD for a Medical EMG.

They would be meeting us.. WE sailed at 40 knotts for over 5 HOURS.

Going back TOWARDS KEY WEST is what they told us.

At dinner 5:45 a annoucment was made that we were close in meeting the

COST GUARD and we would NOT BE GOING ON TO GRAND CAYMENS!!!!!!!!!!

We had went TO FAR and could NOT MAKE UP THE TIME.

OF I totally understand. IF it was one of my loved ones. OFCOURSE do what

we have to do.

BUT this is were I am confused.. THEY GAVE EVERYONE a 25.00 ship board credit and said it was TOWARDS Government Fee for the GRAND CAYMENS.

??????????????

We payed $221.34 Port Charges and Taxes Where do you think $25.00

would have came into play????? This 25.00 was PER PERSON

But I don't get the amount??? I heard people very crabby about it.

I am gonna call on MONDAY. I had a group of 44 people

Thanks

Just was wondering...

We had a ship board MEDICAL EMG. on the LIBERTY last week. It was the 6 day cruise out of Pt. Everglades.. On Tuesday it was announced around noon that we were turning around to MEET the COST GUARD for a Medical EMG.

They would be meeting us.. WE sailed at 40 knotts for over 5 HOURS.

Going back TOWARDS KEY WEST is what they told us.

At dinner 5:45 a annoucment was made that we were close in meeting the

COST GUARD and we would NOT BE GOING ON TO GRAND CAYMENS!!!!!!!!!!

We had went TO FAR and could NOT MAKE UP THE TIME.

OF I totally understand. IF it was one of my loved ones. OFCOURSE do what

we have to do.

BUT this is were I am confused.. THEY GAVE EVERYONE a 25.00 ship board credit and said it was TOWARDS Government Fee for the GRAND CAYMENS.

??????????????

We payed $221.34 Port Charges and Taxes Where do you think $25.00

But I don't get the amount??? I heard people very crabby about it.

I am gonna call on MONDAY. I had a group of 44 people

Thanks

First, I'm a bit confused... The fastest liner currently afloat, the QE2, is good for about 34 knots. Which vessel were you on than can manage 40?

Now, port fees are no longer a specific charge from Carnival so you can't really say that the $25 OBC they gave you wasn't correct. In fact, the port fees, if you could find them somewhere, would be in the neighborhood of $22 or $23. What you got from Carnival was fair. I think it's a tad unreasonable to expect them to compensate you for taxes and whatnot...

$25 OBC is the standard credit Carnival gives for a missed port.

Port charges are not itemized and paid by the passenger anymore so you didn't actually pay any port charges. This was stopped about ten years ago after a class action suit in Florida. Cruise lines were quoting high port charges so they could advertise lower base fares.

I can understand your disappointment in missing a stop but it happens, and this one wasn't for a problem the line is responsible for such as a mechanical problem with the ship. As you said, if it was you or a family member with the medical emergency you would expect the line do do all it could to insure your safety and well being.

Missing ports is an occupational hazard for cruising. The contract of carriage explicitly states that all port calls are subject to change missed, and you are not entitled to any compensation. I hope you had a great time in spite of this disruption.

Also no Carnival ships can attain a speed anywhere close to 40 knots. :D Spirit class ships can do mid 20's, the rest of the fleet top out in the low 20's. But at top speed the ride can be quite ruff.

............ Where do you think $25.00

Deb&Bert,

Based on the fact that Carnival was not at fault and not obligated to pay anything, I'd say that money came into play as a gesture of good will on their part.

Two years ago we were late for Belize A man in a fishing boat had a heart attack and we had to pick him up and bring him to Cozumel They gave us a $50 ship credit All long or far away shore excursions were canceled Only close or short excursions were allowed On the same cruise the water was to rough to tender into Caymen Islands we got about 10 miles off shore they told us to wave becouse that is as close as we were going to get They gave us another $25 ship credit The only ports we got to go to for regular stops were Colzumel on our way back and Costa Maya Ps the fisherman lived which made us all feel good when they told us

For an upcoming cruise we purchased insurance privately (not through the cruise ship). Does anyone know if we would be covered for this type of event?

I have never heard of travel insurance paying any compensation for a single missed port on a completed voyage. You could probably buy coverage that would reimburse you for loss from a non-refundable private excursion you booked in a port that was skipped. I would not assume such coverage and would ask the agent exactly what is and isn't included.

We too were on this cruise and I thought it was a fair amount. We were with a wedding party who was to get married in Grand Cayman so you can imagine their angst at not getting to port. Carnival stepped up to the plate and helped them plan a new wedding (original wedding was NOT planned with Carnival) within 24 hours in Jamaica. I personally have no issues with how Carnival handled this decision.

I personally think 25 dollars is kinda skimpy. I mean think about... unless your booking a cruise to nowhere ,your booking a cruise to go to certain places. Lets say I'm diving in 2 outta 4 stops ( I am :D ) and cause of rough seas we can't dock or tender. Now I relize this is not Carnivals fault BUT I waited all year for this one vacation and paid thousands of dollars and they want to give me 25 bucks?:confused:

That being said I know its in the contract and I know they can't control the weather and I'm taking the risk.

I just think 25 bucks is lame.

I have never heard of travel insurance paying any compensation for a single missed port on a completed voyage. You could probably buy coverage that would reimburse you for loss from a non-refundable private excursion you booked in a port that was skipped. I would not assume such coverage and would ask the agent exactly what is and isn't included.

I was confused about this as well , in our insurance policy for our upcoming cruise, it states that we are covered if we miss a port. So if we miss a port does that mean I can claim it on my insurance? I usually book non CCL tours and that would help recover those costs.

I was confused about this as well , in our insurance policy for our upcoming cruise, it states that we are covered if we miss a port. So if we miss a port does that mean I can claim it on my insurance? I usually book non CCL tours and that would help recover those costs.

Yeah....you can file a claim, but for what? If you lost money due to something you booked but couldn't do like an excursion that is a quantifiable amount but simply missing a port? How does one place a monetary value for the purpose of an insurance claim? Carnival puts a $25 value for good will, port charge, fill in the blank. You insurer may tell you you have already been compensated and are trying to double-dip.

I personally think 25 dollars is kinda skimpy. I mean think about... unless your booking a cruise to nowhere ,your booking a cruise to go to certain places. Lets say I'm diving in 2 outta 4 stops ( I am :D ) and cause of rough seas we can't dock or tender. Now I relize this is not Carnivals fault BUT I waited all year for this one vacation and paid thousands of dollars and they want to give me 25 bucks?:confused:

That being said I know its in the contract and I know they can't control the weather and I'm taking the risk.

I just think 25 bucks is lame.

The contract says they owe you nothing, zip, nada, zero, even if the cruise turns out to be a multi day cruise to nowhere. So $25.00 is a lot more than that. 2500 pax X $25.= you do the math.

Dan

We too were on this cruise and I thought it was a fair amount. We were with a wedding party who was to get married in Grand Cayman so you can imagine their angst at not getting to port. Carnival stepped up to the plate and helped them plan a new wedding (original wedding was NOT planned with Carnival) within 24 hours in Jamaica. I personally have no issues with how Carnival handled this decision.
Carnival did the right thing for them -- I'm glad to hear that!

To the OP, your cruise contract guarantees you a cruise, not specific ports. Ports can be dropped or changed due to many different circumstances and the cruiseline owes you nothing. With that in mind, I usually select a cruise based on the ship, not the ports. Actually, I love sea days, so I'd be more than happy to skip Grand Cayman for $25 -- or for nothing.

lol 40knots??? Seemed like we were FLYING...

I wasn't saying that 25.00 wasn't enough..I was wondering if the 25.00 for for port charges and taxes???

The one wedding party was right down from us and we all FELT very bad that they didn't get to GRAND CAYMENS.. And I am really glad to hear that CARNIVAL STEP UP to help you guys.

I personally thought that the LIBERTY was one of the BEST of our 9 cruises.

We had alot of our people who had NEVER cruised and only being at Nassau for a total of 5 hours they were VERY DISAPOINTED of course.

I did call down to the PURSERS desk at 5:30 pm just before WALKING out to dinner so AS THE GROUP LEADER I was telling my 42 others the RIGHT INFO as we arrived for Dinner. At that time Pursers desk told me "EVERYTHING IS ON TRACK AND WE WILL ARRIVE AT GRAND CAYMENS ON TIME" Now that was a LIE LIE LIE... 20 mins. later in the Dinning room they make the PA annoucesment that WE WILL NOT BE GOING TO GRAND CAYMENS.. And they knew if before that because our Carnival Capers were already on the floor and missing GRAND CAYMENS and they were PRINTING NEW DAY AT SEA ones

I would have atelast been UPFRONT with my group.

TOTALY UNDERSTAND but still disapointed!!!!!

The contract says they owe you nothing, zip, nada, zero, even if the cruise turns out to be a multi day cruise to nowhere. So $25.00 is a lot more than that. 2500 pax X $25.= you do the math.

Dan

Can't do the math dan .. I don't have that many fingers

I know what the contract says... I even stated I know its in the contract.

I was just throwing it out that I thought it was lame... my opinion

BTW 2500 pax x $700 to $1500 is alot to

We know that everyone was feeling for us because we missed our Wedding. - Thank You. The wedding in Jamaica was absolutely perfect though...

Inquiring minds want to know!:D :cool: ;) Where in Jamaica did you tie the knot? Details............:)

Can't do the math dan .. I don't have that many fingers

I know what the contract says... I even stated I know its in the contract.

I was just throwing it out that I thought it was lame... my opinion

BTW 2500 pax x $700 to $1500 is alot to

Yes that's a large number.

Was it Carnival's fault? Like when a ship breaks down, they're usually very good about compensation, like 50% credit on a future cruises and much money back on the current one.

But this was not their fault.

Did the pax miss any meals? NO. In fact some would have eaten ashore had they stopped, so increased food consumption.

Did they use any less fuel? No. Probably way more sailing pedal to the metal.

Did they miss any cruise days? No.

Did GC give Carnival credit for not showing up as per contract? Very likely not. Carnival probably has to pay for being there even tho they didn't make it. Especially GC, which is a pretty independent place re: cruise ships. They have the least need for cruise ships of all the islands.

$62500.00 is a hellava lot to pay for something that's not in any way you're fault.

How often do you [or I] willingly pay for things that aren't our fault?

Not very often, right?

Dan

Yes that's a large number.

Was it Carnival's fault? Like when a ship breaks down, they're usually very good about compensation, like 50% credit on a future cruises and much money back on the current one.

But this was not their fault.

Did the pax miss any meals? NO. In fact some would have eaten ashore had they stopped, so increased food consumption.

Did they use any less fuel? No. Probably way more sailing pedal to the metal.

Did they miss any cruise days? No.

Did GC give Carnival credit for not showing up as per contract? Very likely not. Carnival probably has to pay for being there even tho they didn't make it. Especially GC, which is a pretty independent place re: cruise ships. They have the least need for cruise ships of all the islands.

$62500.00 is a hellava lot to pay for something that's not in any way you're fault.

How often do you [or I] willingly pay for things that aren't our fault?

Not very often, right?

Dan

Jeez dan... your just itching for an argument aren't ya

Let me ask you a question though... do you wear tights with your cheerleading skirt?

I didn't ask for opinions.. maybe the OP did but I didn't

I was posting my thoughts on it and if you even bothered to read my post and digest it, you would see that.

I would be happy with the $25 per person credit...

Years ago when our Carnival cruise missed Grand Cayman due to rough seas, we expected, and received absolutely nothing.

It's good to hear that these days they are at least making a nice gesture. They don't HAVE to do anything.

Maureen

Archived