Best Map?

njen

On a Celebrity cruise to Alaska we frequently kept the TV in our cabin tuned to the ship's channel that displays the detailed route map. The ship's current position is continuously updated. As we watched the scenery from our balcony and came to a lighthouse, island, channel or other prominent landmark, it was easy to take a quick look inside at the TV screen to figure out where we were and what would be coming up next.

That often helped us determine whether we wanted to attend a shipboard activity or stay outside to enjoy the upcoming views. For example, one day we realized that dinner in the dining room was scheduled during the same time that we would be cruising across Icy Strait, so we decided to have the dinner out on our balcony instead,

On the first day of the cruise we hang a large map on our cabin wall and use a highlighter to trace our route as we go along, extending it each day by referencing the ship's map on the TV screen. We did that on our South America cruise on the Infinity too.

I will be going on a 5-day independent tour of Alaska after my cruise on the Coral Princess ends on 6/2. I will be renting a car and driving from Anchorage to Denali. I picked up a AAA Alaska and Northwest Canada map but the scale is too small. Can any one recommend a good map for driving? Thanks!

You need to get copy of THE MILEPOST, your library may have one??? Or purchase a new edition in March. Also can purchase them in Walmart in Anchorage at a discount.

You need to get copy of THE MILEPOST, your library may have one??? Or purchase a new edition in March...

Great advice! The Milepost is considered to be "The Bible" for land touring in Alaska.

Amazon.com is showing the new edition for $18.45. It's worth getting your own copy so you can mark it up with your own notes and then have it afterwards as a memento of your trip.

I picked up a AAA Alaska and Northwest Canada map but the scale is too small.

I find it handy to take a magnifying glass along in the car on road trips for reading detailed road maps or telephone directories.

I will be going on a 5-day independent tour of Alaska after my cruise on the Coral Princess ends on 6/2. I will be renting a car and driving from Anchorage to Denali.

For a short and simple drive like that, there's no need to spend any money. Just pick up a Bell's or Bearfoot guide when you get to Anchorge.

Archived