Best Map?

njen

We are cruising the Inside Passage (RT Seattle) this July and I would love to find a good map so we can follow along during the trip. Does anyone know where we can find something not too big (i.e. some huge fold-out wall map) but one with enough detail to be interesting? Thanks!

I have a Garmin - I didn't think about bringing that. Do you think it's worth it to bring it?

It depends on which Garmin - the ones made for backcountry use (like my Summit) are great on the ship. I don't know what the Nuvis with city maps would be like.

We bought this from Princess last year...excellent! Both the book and the map. If you search, you can get it without using Princess for your cruise.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na873

"Exclusive Cruise Companion Book/Map and Video - A Princess exclusive, the "Alaska Cruise Companion" book and map set was created especially for the line by author and long-time Alaskan Joe Upton. The insightful guide lets passengers follow along on their cruise as the detailed map and information-packed guidebook are organized to fit Princess' itineraries. Loaded with facts and colorful stories about each port and coastal features along the way, the set is a favorite with Alaska passengers each year. An accompanying video, also produced by Upton, is shown throughout the cruise in shipboard cabins, following the cruise route with beautiful photography and entertaining narration."

We bought this from Princess last year...excellent! Both the book and the map. If you search, you can get it without using Princess for your cruise.

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na873

"Exclusive Cruise Companion Book/Map and Video - A Princess exclusive, the "Alaska Cruise Companion" book and map set was created especially for the line by author and long-time Alaskan Joe Upton. The insightful guide lets passengers follow along on their cruise as the detailed map and information-packed guidebook are organized to fit Princess' itineraries. Loaded with facts and colorful stories about each port and coastal features along the way, the set is a favorite with Alaska passengers each year. An accompanying video, also produced by Upton, is shown throughout the cruise in shipboard cabins, following the cruise route with beautiful photography and entertaining narration."

Can you give me an idea what this costs new, so I know if a used price is fair?

Also, you mention searching. I hate to sound dumb, but do you mean a search engine search, or a Princess Search. I had not luck with the Princess Search, but did find some from a Google Search, however, many were from 1998. What is the copyright of our book that you purchased last year? Thanks.

Can you give me an idea what this costs new, so I know if a used price is fair?

Also, you mention searching. I hate to sound dumb, but do you mean a search engine search, or a Princess Search. I had not luck with the Princess Search, but did find some from a Google Search, however, many were from 1998. What is the copyright of our book that you purchased last year? Thanks.

On the link by thinfool, scroll all the way to the bottom where it mentions the book and map set. Princess sells it new on their ships for $20, or for $25 if they ship it to you. The copyright date I have is 2005. The author had a new book out in 2007 that I ordered from Amazon - but cancelled when it appeared that the book wasn't available.

I am getting ready for an Alaskan trip and I read a tip on the boards that recommended the Alaska Cruise Companion. It's a book & map set that covers the trip mile by mile. Not sure which line you are cruising on, but this is written for Princess, but shows many different cruise routes with a fairly large map, and the book that talks about history and sites along those paths. Princess sells the book on the ships or over the phone for $25, but I bought mine on eBay for less that $20 (brand new) and included s&h. I think even if you were cruising another line, this might still be a good book for you.

• Administrators

I borrowed the Upton book from a friend and really enjoyed reading it, and looking at the map that came with it. Then, a few weeks ago as I began researching Alaska, I ordered the Princess Alaska 2008 brochure online at Princess' website. When the brochure arrived this week, in the same envelope was an amazingly wonderful large (maybe 24" x 36" or so unfolded? guessing here) map of the Inside Passage and Southeast Alaska, complete with Upton's annotations and some other great markings and information. It was free with that brochure. Hope that helps someone.

On the link by thinfool, scroll all the way to the bottom where it mentions the book and map set. Princess sells it new on their ships for $20, or for $25 if they ship it to you. The copyright date I have is 2005. The author had a new book out in 2007 that I ordered from Amazon - but cancelled when it appeared that the book wasn't available.

Thanks Nancy. That helps a lot. I found someone trying to sell a 2004 edition for considerably more. I will keep my eyes open for a used one.

DSCF246.jpg

Is this the book?

I hope the picture posts?

I borrowed the Upton book from a friend and really enjoyed reading it, and looking at the map that came with it. Then, a few weeks ago as I began researching Alaska, I ordered the Princess Alaska 2008 brochure online at Princess' website. When the brochure arrived this week, in the same envelope was an amazingly wonderful large (maybe 24" x 36" or so unfolded? guessing here) map of the Inside Passage and Southeast Alaska, complete with Upton's annotations and some other great markings and information. It was free with that brochure. Hope that helps someone.

I also have the Joe Upton map that comes with Princess's 2008 Alaska brochure, and it is an excellent map. It doesn't have the mile markers that are on the map + book set, but the map is the same size - just less detailed.

Is this the book?

I hope the picture posts?

I'm interested in buying this book. Could you post your mini-review of this book? Does it go into details like places to visit and where to eat in the different ports? Also, how's the pudget sound portion?

I'm interested in buying this book. Could you post your mini-review of this book? Does it go into details like places to visit and where to eat in the different ports? Also, how's the pudget sound portion?

Sorry, I am not the one who has the book. I was just asking if I had found the correct book. However, I have since learned it is similar but not the same. I have been looking at the used books on ebay and amazon. So far I have not found one that includes the map.

I also have the Joe Upton map that comes with Princess's 2008 Alaska brochure, and it is an excellent map. It doesn't have the mile markers that are on the map + book set, but the map is the same size - just less detailed.

Nancy, can you explain how the mile markers would help someone on a cruise ship? Is there something on the ship that tells you which mile marker you are at? If that is the case, I am guessing that would only be helpfull if you were on a Princess ship?

vbmom87, I bought the book that you pictured - The Coastal Companion - then returned it to Amazon when I found a used copy of the one that Princess sells.

If you're on a Princess ship, the Princess Patter tells where the ship is traveling that day, using the mile markers found in Joe Upton's book. If you're not on a Princess ship (and I know you're on HAL), then the mile markers aren't as important.

Nancy, can you explain how the mile markers would help someone on a cruise ship? Is there something on the ship that tells you which mile marker you are at? If that is the case, I am guessing that would only be helpfull if you were on a Princess ship?

The route will be well known by your ship naturalist, which is a better source than the Princess newletter, since it is too general. I call the bridge, as I have specific areas I am looking not to miss. I also do recognize some sailing areas. :) But the best I found was, me, latching on to someone with a GPS, who I helped with areas. Lucky I met him early sailing.

Lastly the cpt. gives a daily bridge report, sometimes these are very detailed. It' may be of benefit to jot down times if given etc, when transiting.

I will be going on a 5-day independent tour of Alaska after my cruise on the Coral Princess ends on 6/2. I will be renting a car and driving from Anchorage to Denali. I picked up a AAA Alaska and Northwest Canada map but the scale is too small. Can any one recommend a good map for driving? Thanks!

Archived