Just back from Liberty of the Seas, any questions?

karenbf

The ship itself was great. Best ship we've ever been on, hands down. Very spacious, new (of course). The stateroom was larger than I imagined. Plenty of room for us to get around. The only congested area in a balcony stateroom is the entrance/bathroom/closet area. Best entertainment was the Encore! Ice Spectacular. It truly was spectacular. The rink is small and what they are able to do on it is amazing. I wish I could have gone to every show.

I personally didn't have a problem with anything/anyone on the ship. The only complaints I heard were from people who had to stand in line to get on the tenders in Labadee to come back to the ship. Evidently, there were very long lines (to be expected) around 2:30 or 3:00. The last tender was 3:30. It also rained during that time. So, I'm sure that added to their displeasure.

Hope that helps.

Did you travel with children? Was the evening entertainment child friendly. Our kids enjoy spending time with us. They even want to go watch ballroom dancing. Dad would like to take the girls 5 and 8 out on the dance floor, but don't want to get in the way. OH Heck we paid as much as the others so I say let them dance.

Hi Karenbf. Thank you for your help.

We are also curious about Montego Bay as we are going on the same cruise very soon.

What did you do while you were there?

Did you like it?

Best Regards.

Glad you had a great time. Can you tell me what shows were in the Platinum theater and on what night. Can you hear ship announcements in your cabin via a speaker with volumn control? We will be sailing the same route this coming Saturday. Can't wait.

Jiffymom- sorry we didn't travel with children this time. I would say most of the evening entertainment was child friendly. Just watch the late night shows. They will tell you if it's adult entertainment only. There are a few bars, for example, where no kids are allowed after a certain time. There were a bunch of ballroom dancers on our cruise. They were great! Your kids would have loved it.

Melba1024- Montego Bay is not my favorite port. I have been there many times and I can only say it's gone downhill. Right at the port there is a shopping market to buy souveniers. No restaurants that I saw. You would have to take a taxi into "downtown". Just a caution about the security to get back onboard at this port. There are seperate lines for men and women. The men were getting frisked very thoroughly (to put it mildly). I had no problems on the women's side.

crusinmama06- YES! We had a great time. I think this ship rocks (as my daughter would say).

GreenB- I have been to Montego Bay so many times. I just kind of did a little shopping right at the port and got back on the ship. In the past I have done the taxi tour, coffee bean plantation and just gone downtown and shopped.

teamsterlady- I'll need to get back to you about the entertainment in the Platinum Theater. I'm at work right now and don't have my compass with me. I promise I won't forget to let you know. It's funny you asked about the ship announcements on the room speaker. Some you could hear and some you couldn't. I would hear something outside in the hall and run go turn on the speaker but all I would get was music. So, I had to stand there with a crack in the door to hear some announcements! The muster drill announcement came through loud and clear!

FORTMYERSJETSFAN- I didn't go on the zipline in Labadee. But, it looked like a blast. I know people who did it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I believe there is an age restriction on it. I know there are weight limits. Again, let me get home to my compasses and I'll get back to you on this.

Whew!

Hi, Karenbf! Thanks for offering your information! I'm so glad that you had a great cruise! We are going on the same itinerary as you just did for Easter week. My question is what you did on the islands? I'm in the process of researching the different ports of call so I'm interested in what you did and if you enjoyed it.

For Montego Bay I would recommend a ship's excursion. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable going up to a random cab waiting outside the port. However, I had a great time on the ship's excursion (zip lining through the rain forest--fantastic!)

It's funny you asked about the ship announcements on the room speaker. Some you could hear and some you couldn't. I would hear something outside in the hall and run go turn on the speaker but all I would get was music. So, I had to stand there with a crack in the door to hear some announcements! The muster drill announcement came through loud and clear!

Me too!!! I also checked the room speaker, and when I couldn't hear anything I ran outside in the hall. I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with that problem. I just figured I wasn't using the thing correctly. :)

For Montego Bay I would recommend a ship's excursion. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable going up to a random cab waiting outside the port. However, I had a great time on the ship's excursion (zip lining through the rain forest--fantastic!)

We are going on this excursion in May.. Was it scary??? I'm afraid I am going to sign up for something and then get there and chicken out..

Karenbf: first of all - I love people like you who take the time to answer questions and help others out - thanks so much!! You, and the info provided by Radio on his post is truly a great help.

My question is about ballroom dancing: my wife & I recently took some dance lessons and I would love to demonstrate on board how my two left feet have turned into about 1 3/4 left feet. We've been on Voyager, Explorer, Serenade, Sovereign, and didn't really see too many ballroom dancing opportunities. Since you mentioned bd in an earlier post, could you please expand on what's available on board (we're booked for May)? Thanks again.

We are going on this excursion in May.. Was it scary??? I'm afraid I am going to sign up for something and then get there and chicken out..

They take you through a series of smaller lines, so after the first short one it's pretty easy. However, the last line is really long. I was about to keep my eyes closed the whole way across, but I was proud of myself. I kept my eyes open through all of the lines--even the long one.

I wouldn't recommend it for those that are afraid of heights, but for everyone else, I think it would be great.

Day 1- Welcome Aboard Show starring Comedy Juggler Chuck Gunter

Day 2- Somewhere In Time starring the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers

Day 3- Headliner Showtime starring Spectrum "Featuring Motown Live"

Day 4- nothing in the Platinum Theater, Ice Spectacular in Studio B

Day 5- Ever After starring the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers, also Ice Show in Studio B

Day 6- In the Water, In the Fire, In the Ice and In the Air, starring RC Singers and Dancers

Day 7- Farewell showtime starring comedians Dean Austin & Chuck Gunter, also Ice Show in Studio B

Hi, Karenbf! Thanks for offering your information! I'm so glad that you had a great cruise! We are going on the same itinerary as you just did for Easter week. My question is what you did on the islands? I'm in the process of researching the different ports of call so I'm interested in what you did and if you enjoyed it.

We have been to these ports many times, except for Labadee. So, I'll start there.

Labadee- Very nice beaches. Do not pay the asking price at the flea market!, offer 25% of what they ask. I would start in the artisan's market and then go to the flea market. They bring all the food for lunch from the ship. Dragon's Breath zip line looked like a blast. They had to shut it down about noon due to rain. Great place just to hang out and do nothing.

Montego Bay- DO NOT GO OFF THE BEATEN PATH! Take a ship excursion or do something right at the port. We have taken taxi tours, coffee plantation excursion, and snorkeling excursions. The Mountain Valley Rafting excursion was highly recommended by my friend. If you do this one, ask for Doctor Love's raft. He goes above and beyond on his trip down the river.

Georgetown- I have seen Hell, the Turtle Farm, Stingray City, the Rum Factory, snorkeled and just beached it. The shopping here is not what it used to be. There used to be a feel of the rich movers and shakers who vacationed here. Not so much anymore. It's just another Caribbean port now. My recommendation is to enjoy the beach or rent a jeep and go around on your own.

Cozumel- I have gone to the Tulum Mayan Ruins, Chankanaab Park, jeep excursion, snorkeling, Playa Mia. Tulum is a long day. The ferry ride to Playa del Carmen is 45 minutes and another hour long bus ride to the ruins. Once you are there, it's beautiful. Chankanaab Park is great in my book. Kind of one stop shopping. It has the Dolphin experience, snorkeling, ruins, food, beach, botanical garden, shops.

we are travelling with our 4 kids.. right now we have early dinner but thinking of switching to late so the kids can go to the AO and we can have a quiet dinner... is this a good idea depending on the shows?

This is kind of a tough one. I prefer the early dining. I'm not sure of the age of your 4 kids. That might help me recommend something to you. I have travelled with teenagers before and found that it worked out fine for them to eat early with us most nights. Only once or twice did they want to miss dinner with us and run around with their AO friends. I just know after a 2 hour dinner and show, we were ready to turn in.

Karenbf: first of all - I love people like you who take the time to answer questions and help others out - thanks so much!! You, and the info provided by Radio on his post is truly a great help.

My question is about ballroom dancing: my wife & I recently took some dance lessons and I would love to demonstrate on board how my two left feet have turned into about 1 3/4 left feet. We've been on Voyager, Explorer, Serenade, Sovereign, and didn't really see too many ballroom dancing opportunities. Since you mentioned bd in an earlier post, could you please expand on what's available on board (we're booked for May)? Thanks again.

First, thank you for mentioning my name and Radio's in the same sentence. I really do not compare to him. He's great. I learned a lot from him before our cruise.

Now about ballroom dancing...there was a convention of 70 professional ballroom dancers on our cruise. They were practicing everywhere! Every day in the Cruise Compass on the back page is a listing of Standards and Dance Music available that day. Ocean Bound Quartet was in Olive or Twist almost daily. Day 2 there was the Captain's Cocktail Dancing in The Sphinx.

Archived