Shot for Rolex on Margarita

coffin dodger

That is some story.

I guess it goes to the fact too that people need to use some common sense when traveling. One dead, one critical, and one that is lucky to be alive over a watch. Leave the expensive stuff in your safe when you leave the ship in ports of call.

Agree, I wear no jewelry, except my plain gold wedding band and some inexpensive earrings while in port. Not that a mugging can't happen at home....but why tempt fate when in unfamiliar surroundings.

Hi There Folks,

Sorry to here about this but do not think the bloke can be all the bright,

£10,000 thing to tell the time or 6 months on a Princess cruise ship,

what would you pick...

yours Shogun

No contest, Shogun - hands down I'd pick 6 months cruising! I wouldn't care what time it was! :D

Normal homeowners insurance probably won't cover it - they have a limit - unles you have separate riders for stuff like that - my DW has all of her jewelry appraised and put on our insurance as a separate item - the cost is minimal and covers loss for any reason.

Ron

I see no reason why anyone who desires a Rolex watch can't purchase and wear one, no matter what their status or position in life is. Be they a MD's Burger Flipper, Cabbie, Law Enforcement Officer and/or Soldier. It's their money and their decision how to spend it!

In the US Army, back in the late 50's and during the Vietnam war, many US Army Special Forces soldiers, purchased Rolex watches in the PX. The most popular Rolex, at that time was the Rolex GMT and GMT Master II, followed by the Diving version. (Although all were rated to normal diving depths.) Of course at the time James Bond movies were big and he wore a Rolex, in the movies. ;)

It sort of became an SF thing to have one. The watch was highly valued because of its tough build, accuracy, no battery and good looks, as well the quick reference to GMT time which is used a lot in the military. It is self winding. Also easily read in the dark.

I always wanted one when I was on active duty with SF; however, never bought one as I didn't see them in the PX at the time.

My wife bought a Rolex GMT Master II, for me as a retirement gift, on my retirement from LE in 1990. It wasn't very inexpensive at the local Rolex store, but I was overjoyed with the gift! (I still am.) It didn't cost $20,000 Dollars, but it was in the thousands.

I have worn it since 1990, I SCUBA Dived and snorkel with it and wear it every day. It's pretty accurate, although some of the cheap Timex battery types are more accurate over a long period! :rolleyes:

I have worn mine on shore tours; however, I'm very selective where I wear it. (Country, City, etc.) As a former Special Forces soldier and LE Officer I also maintain a VERY high degree of tactical an/or situational awareness, paying close attention to what is going on around me, at all times. I would especially be aware of people close to me and their demeanor, etc.

I always try not to be the typical fat happy tourist, that is so busy with being a tourist he/she, forgets to be aware of what is going on around them, etc.

All that said, IMHO in most cases leave your Rolex and other flashy Jewellery in the safe in the cabin on board. I always carry a cheap Timex watch to wear on shore tours, should I decide not to wear the Rolex.

The tactical or situational awareness is important to all, no matter where you are or what your doing!

Normal homeowners insurance probably won't cover it - they have a limit - unles you have separate riders for stuff like that - my DW has all of her jewelry appraised and put on our insurance as a separate item - the cost is minimal and covers loss for any reason.

And then if you have travel insurance, the travel insurance company will cover the deductible on your homeowner's policy.

This story is just too curious and weird. I agree with the others about a cabbie owning a $20K watch and although I do know someone who inherited one, it's still extremely unusual. Also, if the thieves were caught, where was the watch? Wouldn't they have had it on them? If they didn't, can you even collect insurance on a $20K watch that you've worn in a questionable situation?

This story is just too curious and weird. I agree with the others about a cabbie owning a $20K watch and although I do know someone who inherited one, it's still extremely unusual. Also, if the thieves were caught, where was the watch? Wouldn't they have had it on them? If they didn't, can you even collect insurance on a $20K watch that you've worn in a questionable situation?

I was thinking the same thing.......

I see no reason why anyone who desires a Rolex watch can't purchase and wear one, no matter what their status or position in life is. Be they a MD's Burger Flipper, Cabbie, Law Enforcement Officer and/or Soldier. It's their money and their decision how to spend it!

My wife bought a Rolex GMT Master II, for me as a retirement gift, on my retirement from LE in 1990. It wasn't very inexpensive at the local Rolex store, but I was overjoyed with the gift! (I still am.) It didn't cost $20,000 Dollars, but it was in the thousands.

I have worn it since 1990, I SCUBA Dived and snorkel with it and wear it every day. It's pretty accurate, although some of the cheap Timex battery types are more accurate over a long period! :rolleyes:

I'm with GBeret on this one. Everyone seems to believe that a Rolex is only some kind of status symbol that is prohibited to a cabbie. I don't know whether he described it as being a 20,000 dollar watch or if that was the press interpretation, but so what? Many people spend thousands of dollars on a watch, and a Rolex is a fine investment, as well as a fine legacy. They are not all 20,000 dollars.

As long as the watch was listed specifically on the policy, and there is no verbiage prohibiting wearing in "bad" areas, there is no reason why homeowner's insurance would not pay. My watch and other valuables are listed. It is a nominal cost in addition to the premium.

Perhaps the watch was "confiscated" by the Venezuelan police as evidence and turned over to Hugo Chavez to add to his collection.

As to the wounds, he obviously was wounded in some fashion. Perhaps this less than stellar newspaper has a tendency to exagerate the seriousness of things. I don't understand why so many who posted seem to be angry with this guy.

I enjoy taking my good jewelry on my cruises and they are insured, so I feel safe on the ship, but I never wear anything more than a cheap watch and a plain gold wedding band when I am in port. Also, no expensive handbags either. Unfortunately, I can't completely hide my camera, but I do keep it in a small inexpensive tote when not in use.

I'm with GBeret on this one. Everyone seems to believe that a Rolex is only some kind of status symbol that is prohibited to a cabbie. I don't know whether he described it as being a 20,000 dollar watch or if that was the press interpretation, but so what? Many people spend thousands of dollars on a watch, and a Rolex is a fine investment, as well as a fine legacy. They are not all 20,000 dollars.

As long as the watch was listed specifically on the policy, and there is no verbiage prohibiting wearing in "bad" areas, there is no reason why homeowner's insurance would not pay. My watch and other valuables are listed. It is a nominal cost in addition to the premium.

Perhaps the watch was "confiscated" by the Venezuelan police as evidence and turned over to Hugo Chavez to add to his collection.

As to the wounds, he obviously was wounded in some fashion. Perhaps this less than stellar newspaper has a tendency to exagerate the seriousness of things. I don't understand why so many who posted seem to be angry with this guy.

I don't know how many are really angry, I think it is a matter of beleivability. Something seems fishy here. As for wearing a Rolex, no one has said a Cabbie has no right to wear one, some are doubting whether a cabbie would actually have a watch that expensive.

I think the whole story is a little doubtful.

Nita

• 2 weeks later...

NewMexicoNita:

If Soldiers and Cops can afford or desire to own and wear a Rolex, surely a cabbie could also. Some other aspects of the 'story' do look a bit suspicious though. :rolleyes:

Quote:

"As for wearing a Rolex, no one has said a Cabbie has no right to wear one, some are doubting whether a cabbie would actually have a watch that expensive.

I think the whole story is a little doubtful.

Nita"

I've never seen such a condescending bunch of comments ever, not once has anyone expressed any sympathy for the victim & his wife, regardless of how the incident is reported :mad:

Archived