Port of Miami

Browneyedhunni85

I live about 30 minutes N of where Port of Miami is located. To save on parking costs, is it possible to get dropped off in front of the entrance to the port and then walk in to where the terminals are?

I live about 30 minutes N of where Port of Miami is located. To save on parking costs, is it possible to get dropped off in front of the entrance to the port and then walk in to where the terminals are?

That is what a taxi would do, so I don't see why not.

You do not have to walk in, you can be dropped off right at your ship. that is what we do, my dad lives in Fort Lauderdale, we leave our car at his house and have him drop us off and pick us up?

I am looking for alternative parking while we are on our cruise. I am looking at the stay and fly parking near the airport. With the hotel, it's still about the same price as just the parking and we are going to get a hotel anyway. We can get a shuttle to the airport then take a transfer from there.

Does anyone know of a closer parking lot that is secure and not $20.00 a day?

I miss the days of $10.00 parking!

I dont know of any, you might want to do a search and see if there are privately owned parking lots in this area. The parking in Miami, even at 20 a pop isnt convenient either. MOst of it is so far away you have to take a shuttle to the port. My husband dropped us off at the terminal so we wouldnt all have to shuttle with our luggage. We waited like 30 minutes and he ended up walking a good 1/2 mile back from the parking garage because he didnt want to wait for a shuttle. The first time we cruised from Miami we flew in and took a limo to the port, door to door is the easiest way to go for this port. Miami is our least favorite port for driving in, which we like to do because the cost of airfare is so high, we will only cruise out from here as a last resort, we will look for cruises from other ports first from now on. $20 a day is steep!

Ah, I'm beginning to hate this port already. I wish we were at Canaveral.

I believe the parking at Canaveral has been raised to 15.00 per day. Miami's rate went to 20.00 per day in early October, just before our 9 day cruise on NCL. We were surprised when we got there.

In December we found it cheaper to rent a car at Tampa airport, drop it off at Miami airport, take a cab to the port, and then do the reverse, than to park our own car for the 7 days. Ridiculous! We rented a car that got us better gas mileage, and we didn't put the wear and tear on one of our cars. I would forego all other ports and just cruise out of Tampa, but the Skyway bridge and turn basin limit the ships available to the Legend and the Inspiration...bummer.

Am wondering if anyone has heard of the free parking at port of Miami for handicapped...if you go into their website, this is mentioned and that you need to e-mail them your mailing address as there is some form that needs to be filled out.

Anyone ever heard of this??

Also, I thought I saw somewhere in one of the threads that they are in the process of installing cc machines at the port...anyone cruised out of Miami recently that can give any info about this??

Thanks in advance!

Ok...can someone unconfuse me? We are leaving in 48 days, and I had read on the Port of Miami's website:

Parking:

Parking is available in facilities located in front of individual cruise terminals. No reservations are required to park at the Port of Miami. Long-term parking for a regular vehicle occupying a single space is $20 per day. Short term parking is $7.00 if you are coming to see someone off but, not intended for overnight parking. All Cruises in the current itineraries would fall under Long Term Parking.

Rates will vary for larger vehicles (ie., oversized vans, recreational vehicles and vehicles with trailers). If the vehicle is over 20’ in length then an additional $20.00 is added per day. Therefore, these larger (ie., oversized vans, recreational vehicles and vehicles with trailers) cost $40.00 per day and all oversized vehicles can only park in Lot #2.

Currently G and J accept either cash, credit (Visa, MasterCard, American Express only), or any major US Travelers checks. The parking facility in front of Terminal B, C and Lot #2 is currently cash and any major US Travelers Checks.

Additional Parking Information

• There is no Valet Parking at the POM.
  • Due to security precautions Car/Shuttle rental company facilities are not located on the Port of Miami premises.
  • Long term parking is $20.00 per day for cruise passengers parking for 24-hours/overnight or longer per cruise length.
  • Short term parking is $7.00 if you are coming to see someone off but, not intended for overnight parking.
  • All Cruises in the current itineraries would fall under Long Term Parking.
  • Oversized vehicles such as motor homes, truck with trailers, or buses that are over 20’ in length will be charged an additional $20.00 per day and can only park in Lot # 2.
  • At this time, Handicapped parking is Free.
  • The Port of Miami currently has 3 Parking Garages available for Cruise passengers. The total capacity now available is 5,871, with 56 dedicated to the handicapped and 7 to passengers with young infants. The top floor is open to air at each Garage. There is also one outside Parking Lot available as well.

If you have handicapped exemption, the completion of a short form is required. Having the form pre-filled prior to leaving will expedite your entrance/exit at the Toll Booth. Please email us your mailing address so the form can be sent to you via U.S. mail.

The toll booth attendant will require:

• Proof of exemption: (See the Placard, Sticker, License plate number)
  • Drivers License of owner/exempt individual

The Seaport also offers a Shuttle Service for cruise passengers, one of which is wheelchair accessible. The Shuttle will pick you up at the Parking Garage/Lot and take you to the appropriate Cruise Terminal location.

The Port of Miami prides itself on our customer service and its visitor's safety. If I can help you any further please feel free to contact the Port of Miami at pomservice@miamidade.gov.

So the lot in front of the Carnival terminal doesn't take credit cards, but others do? That stinks...

In December we found it cheaper to rent a car at Tampa airport' date=' drop it off at Miami airport, take a cab to the port, and then do the reverse, than to park our own car for the 7 days. Ridiculous! We rented a car that got us better gas mileage, and we didn't put the wear and tear on one of our cars. I would forego all other ports and just cruise out of Tampa, but the Skyway bridge and turn basin limit the ships available to the Legend and the Inspiration...bummer.[/quote']

There are rental car drop offs near the port, and they have a free shuttle to the PORT. In fact AVIS drop off is so close you can see your ship from their front door.

I'm doing the same thing, renting a car and taking a taxi to the port after we drop it off on day of cruise. Can you tell me how much you paid for a taxi from the airport to the port.

I believe a taxi from MIA to the port is a flat rate of $24.00 for 1-5 people. You can check it out at the MIA website under parking and transportation.

http://www.miami-airport.com

1st post-yay! I have something to contribute :)

What is the physical location of car rental return areas near Port of Miami? You mentioned Avis. We are renting from FLL, returning to MIA to leave out of Port of Miami. It is hard to know what area to return to if you are not familiar with the area? Doesn't have to be Avis, just any of them with a return near Port, so we can utilize free shuttle to port.

What is the physical location of car rental return areas near Port of Miami? You mentioned Avis. We are renting from FLL, returning to MIA to leave out of Port of Miami. It is hard to know what area to return to if you are not familiar with the area? Doesn't have to be Avis, just any of them with a return near Port, so we can utilize free shuttle to port.

We used Thrifty for our cruise in Jan, we fly into FLL and picked up the car and dropped it off at the MIA airport and then we used the shuttle to the port of Miami which was free, the bus was full. Then after the cruise we used the shuttle again to get back to the car rental location to pick up another car because we were headed to the Orlando area. The shuttle was free both ways I'm not sure if any of them allow you to park you own car at their facility or not for a lesser cost then parking at the port.

I'm doing the same thing, renting a car and taking a taxi to the port after we drop it off on day of cruise. Can you tell me how much you paid for a taxi from the airport to the port.

it is a set rate of $25 each way.

Handicapped parking is free. You need to show your permit and ID. That is what I did in November. Prior to that, I filled out a form at the parking garage entrance.

Did they give you a hard time...I thought I read somewhere that they try and tell you the free handicapped parking is only for those special handicapped vehicles??

In my situation, there wouldn't be anybody that would be able to drop me off. I was thinking I could use some kind of public transportation that would drop me off near the port, like in front of Bayside, and then I would walk into the port from there.

Archived