Moose??

cruisinlawn

Here in MN the moose population is on the decrease...we see one or two in our "neighborhood" every year, and tracks/droppings somewhat more frequently.

In AK (May of 04) we did see tracks and droppings near Haines, on a princess shore ex out of Skagway. We saw a few in Denali itself, and many (15+) from the domed railway car between Anchorage and Denali. There were also a few around Fairbanks as well.

Our last trip was in 2004. (We've traveled Alaska all the years since.:)) We were there for several days and did quite a bit of driving, just not much wildlife out... may have been the weather as well.

I'm glad to know the grizzlies and black bear are making a comeback, too. When I was a kid and we vacationed to Yellowstone a lot, the bears were still feeding at the garbage cans in the campgrounds and in certain garbage dump areas. It was almost a pilgrimage folks made to see them feast at the large dumps. I think it is better that things have changed back toward more natural... but it sure seems it's taken a long time to get the bears balanced back into the pictures as nature would have it.

When my mom was kid a moose charged her in Yellowstone. She had just opened the car door and stepped out for a better look... my understanding she took a flying leap back into the car. She's hated 'em ever since.:)

Now... I'm reconsidering Alaska this year... and considering heading back to Yellowstone. Then maybe on up into Glacier National Park, Banff and Jasper. We saw quite a few bears on our last trip there. Hmm.

Oh... we are so off topic, but it's fun reminiscing!!!:)

When I was a kid, we used to go to Yellowstone every other year with the guys from my Dad's work (the other years we'd go to Bryce Canyon). I remember feeding the bears grapes as they came right up to the car -- with the window open just a slit to get the grape out. Lots of fun bear stories from those days -- but looking back on it, definitely not the right way for the bears to be treated.

Amazingly enough, we've never made it to Glacier. That's something I might consider doing this summer, if I can find a new job and talk them into a little time off......

call me crazy but DW wants to see a moose. Is this possible anywhere?? (Juneau, Ketch, Skag)

From Skagway, you could catch the fast ferry to Haines and visit the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve near Haines.

I have heard a lot of people say they have seen moose there. (see attached link for photos of moose at the eagle preserve).

http://cruises.about.com/od/alaskacruises/ig/Chilkat-Bald-Eagle-Preserve/

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/eagleprv.htm

Celebrity offers several excursions that go to the eagle reserve. I am sure your ship does too. Some are raft trips, hiking, jet boats, etc. My daughter and I were going to choose one of those, but she decided she would rather go rock climbing in Skagway.

From Skagway, you could catch the fast ferry to Haines and visit the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve near Haines.

I have heard a lot of people say they have seen moose there. (see attached link for photos of moose at the eagle preserve).

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/eagleprv.htm

Celebrity offers several excursions that go to the eagle reserve. I am sure your ship does too. Some are raft trips, hiking, jet boats, etc. My daughter and I were going to choose one of those, but she decided she would rather go rock climbing in Skagway.

Sorry, no, this is an overstatement. Direct from a vendor I know there, wildlife other than eagles is seen on less than 25% of the trips.

Sorry, no, this is an overstatement. Direct from a vendor I know there, wildlife other than eagles is seen on less than 25% of the trips.

IMO, 25% is still better than 0% if she is not planning to go inland, and is only doing a cruise.

I have not personally been to Alaska yet, this is my first trip. But, I have been reading a lot and I have seen more than one person say that they saw moose there.

*shrugs* If it was me, I would be willing to take a 25% chance if that was my only option.

We took a cruise one year and a kayaking trip and land tour to Denali the second year. The only moose we ever saw (and boy I was looking) was at the bird refuge on the edge of Anchorage on the road toward Seward in the last hour before we were heading to the airport.

That was Potter Marsh which is a good place to see moose for free.

I am laughing over people seeking to see moose when we used to eat them! We sure saw them!

IMO, 25% is still better than 0% if she is not planning to go inland, and is only doing a cruise.

I have not personally been to Alaska yet, this is my first trip. But, I have been reading a lot and I have seen more than one person say that they saw moose there.

*shrugs* If it was me, I would be willing to take a 25% chance if that was my only option.

Where have you seen these reports? They aren't on this board, which is extremely well traveled in Alaska. The 25% includes all other wildlife, bears and moose. Having been to Haines and as I mentioned, know an operator, it is not a good choice for moose if a priority.

Where have you seen these reports? They aren't on this board, which is extremely well traveled in Alaska. The 25% includes all other wildlife, bears and moose. Having been to Haines and as I mentioned, know an operator, it is not a good choice for moose if a priority.

So far, I have not seen ANY other suggestions that offer any chances at all on her itinerary. Like I said before, personally, I would be willing to take even a small percentage chance rather than none at all if it was that important to me.

Everyone keeps talking about where to see moose INLAND, but the OP stated that they were not going inland... so I was just offering a suggestion that was actually on her itinerary.

I provided a link in my original posting which shows where I saw this.. even has photos of the moose they saw at the Eagle Reserve. So, I guess the possibility is there.

Archived