Moose??

cruisinlawn

I don't think I've ever seen a moose in Southeast Alaska (though lots in my area). Even on the Seward Highway between Seward and Anchorage where we used to see moose all the time, there are just too many people now and it's been many years since I've seen one in the summer there. The "hot spot" for moose along the road system now is a marshy area between Fairbanks and Delta Junction.

Nope, don't count on it. If you aren't going interior Alaska, your chances are essentially none. I have only seen moose one time on the Inside Passage- strolling by the Grand Pacific Glacier in Glacier Bay.

Thanks BQ, guess I better come up with a plan.

I sent you another email and appreciate your reply to the first. Sorry to be so lengthy but wanted to give as many details as possible. Thanks.

We did not see any on our trips to the inside passage. But seen lots

north of Anchorage on our way to Denali.

If you wanted to see moose, too bad all of you weren't here yesterday. We had two in our front yard about five feet from the porch stairs. Our morning dog walk was considerably delayed :) Seen quite a few moose around the Anchorage-Eagle River area the past few weeks. Had a snap of cold weather (single digits) so they're getting hungry. Let's just say our rose bushes no long need trimming in the spring.

It won't help you for Alaska at all :D , but if she really wants to see moose, plan a trip to Grand Teton Natl. Park in Wyoming. There are several that live near the Jackson Lake lodge, and I haven't taken a trip through there for 5 or 6 years without seeing one browsing in the willows down under the bridge.

Nope, don't count on it. If you aren't going interior Alaska, your chances are essentially none. I have only seen moose one time on the Inside Passage- strolling by the Grand Pacific Glacier in Glacier Bay.

How about on the Denali park tour?

call me crazy but DW wants to see a moose. Is this possible anywhere?? (Juneau, Ketch, Skag)

Don't know where your cruise leaves from, but if it is Seward and you have an extra day, try this itinerary if you really want to see moose, up close and personal.

Arrive ANC, rent car (one way rental to Seward), drive to Soldotna (about 60 miles south of the Seward junction). Spend the night in Soldotna. The moose are ABSOLUTELY thick around Redoubt Rd both sunrise and sunset (feeding times). You can hardly drive down the road at those times without seeing many moose. They feed within 10 feet of the road.

I'm told there's moose in Juneau, Out the Road, but I refuse to believe it. I'm a bit bitter about my inability to spot moose, even as I see piles and piles of dung.

Apparently, they're experts at hiding, so that's a disadvantage for a tourist. One of my favorite Alaska magazine pictures ever, was a sort of Where's Waldo set-up, with a shot of a forest, and a single moose was standing in the trees. You'd think this huge, brown animal with a massive rack would be easy to spot, but he wasn't. And I swear he was was smirking. :D

I've had friends say there's lot of moose at Glacier Bay, but that's not from the cruise ships, but rather if you were staying at Gustavus or Bartlett Cove.

I did see moose as she and her two calves ran across the highway, scaring me to death, as I drove from Skagway to Whitehorse, but I think it was further along than the usual Emerald Lake turnaround.

I recently saw an Animal Planet show, Growing Up Sitka Deer, about orphaned deer in a sanctuary in Alaska, but I missed where it was. Does anyone know where the facility is and if the public can tour it? It looked like the Haines area.

If you wanted to see moose, too bad all of you weren't here yesterday. We had two in our front yard about five feet from the porch stairs. Our morning dog walk was considerably delayed :) Seen quite a few moose around the Anchorage-Eagle River area the past few weeks. Had a snap of cold weather (single digits) so they're getting hungry. Let's just say our rose bushes no long need trimming in the spring.

Same thing happened with us when were stationed in Eagle River. Several days during the winter the kids were unable to go outside to play because of the moose in our yards. Same thing in Anchorage at Scenic Park. I do not remember seeing any moose when we were stationed in Southeastern though.

I agree with Ute_Fan if you want to see moose go to Wyoming. Saw three just going from the airport to the hotel in Jackson Hole.

I LOVE going to Alaska, the scenery is spectacular. But, went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton a few years ago and saw SO much wildlife.

I agree with Ute_Fan if you want to see moose go to Wyoming. Saw three just going from the airport to the hotel in Jackson Hole.

I LOVE going to Alaska, the scenery is spectacular. But, went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton a few years ago and saw SO much wildlife.

From Utah, it's much closer than Alaska, too ;) . We've been 3 times between July 2006 and September 2007 -- and saw lots of wildlife all 3 times. Even better, we finally got the DD to go with us in September and finally found her a grizzly in the wilds! She's been dying to see one for years, and we got to stand and watch one in Yellowstone for about 45 minutes.

Off the Alaska topic, I agree that Yellowstone is wonderful for moose viewing, though grizzly viewing has definitely decreased throughout the years I've been going. Our main wildlife viewing has mainly been bison the last couple of times we've gone.

As a girl of 14, I had an appendectomy (emergency) right in the park. The clinic on Yellowstone Lake was a hospital back then. My hospital room window had a clear view of the lake, and moose wandered past my window on a regular basis.:)

Off the Alaska topic, I agree that Yellowstone is wonderful for moose viewing, though grizzly viewing has definitely decreased throughout the years I've been going. Our main wildlife viewing has mainly been bison the last couple of times we've gone.

As a girl of 14, I had an appendectomy (emergency) right in the park. The clinic on Yellowstone Lake was a hospital back then. My hospital room window had a clear view of the lake, and moose wandered past my window on a regular basis.:)

Wow! What a story about your appendectomy. Just out of curiosity, how recently have you been to Yellowstone? We've actually found the bear (both black and grizzly) viewing to be better over the last couple of years than it was for us in the previous 10 or 15. We had been totally "bear-less" since about 1988 up until July of 2006, when we saw 3. We saw 6 more in September of 2006, and then had the extended viewing of the grizzly in September, 2007.

We also haven't normally seen moose in Yellowstone, but have had better luck with them in Grand Teton. Last September, we had one running right down along the side of the road parallel to us just after leaving the Moran Junction. We were driving along slowly, with the mini-van door open and DH videotaping him. He finally crossed the road in front of us and headed off down into a gulch where we lost sight of him. Definitely made our trip even better!

Just out of curiosity, how recently have you been to Yellowstone?

We've actually found the bear (both black and grizzly) viewing to be better over the last couple of years than it was for us in the previous 10 or 15. We had been totally "bear-less" since about 1988 up until July of 2006, when we saw 3. We saw 6 more in September of 2006, and then had the extended viewing of the grizzly in September, 2007.

Our last trip was in 2004. (We've traveled Alaska all the years since.:)) We were there for several days and did quite a bit of driving, just not much wildlife out... may have been the weather as well.

I'm glad to know the grizzlies and black bear are making a comeback, too. When I was a kid and we vacationed to Yellowstone a lot, the bears were still feeding at the garbage cans in the campgrounds and in certain garbage dump areas. It was almost a pilgrimage folks made to see them feast at the large dumps. I think it is better that things have changed back toward more natural... but it sure seems it's taken a long time to get the bears balanced back into the pictures as nature would have it.

When my mom was kid a moose charged her in Yellowstone. She had just opened the car door and stepped out for a better look... my understanding she took a flying leap back into the car. She's hated 'em ever since.:)

Now... I'm reconsidering Alaska this year... and considering heading back to Yellowstone. Then maybe on up into Glacier National Park, Banff and Jasper. We saw quite a few bears on our last trip there. Hmm.

Oh... we are so off topic, but it's fun reminiscing!!!:)

Archived