First time in Alaska - where do I begin?

jay44

Husband and I are taking a cruise with Princess on 31 May.

Our ports of call are:

Ketchikan

Juneau and

Skagaway

I've been on the Princess excursions page, and there are so many I have no idea where to begin. I would love to go whale watching, but I have read a few entries where folk have booked tours independant of Princess. Are Princess whale watching tours no good?

What would you recommend we do at each port? My head is spinning from the sheer choice open to us.

Also just how cold is it going to be the first week in June? Are we talking thermal clothes? If so I need to go shopping before all the winter stock is cleared from the shops in favour of summer clothes.

I'm so excited about the cruise, but am a complete novice, and want to make this once in a lifetime trip - perfect.

Any advice greatfully received!:D

Hello

many people book independent excursions as they tend to be cheaper and or last longer-----we do independents is ports where the excursions are closer in or if the port time is longer

for excursions involving travel to more remote areas--we book thru the ship--ex. Misty Fiords in Ketchikan--if your delayed the ship will wait for you

In Juneau we like Harv and Marvs for whale watching--smaller boats--gret service----Orca Enterprises is also good but uses larger boats

In Skagway we like to rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake---the road runs u the opposite side of the pass as the railroad---but you go further and can stop at will

we bring a set of thermals--more for the glacier cruising days where you spend alot of time on deck--with wind off the ice --than for the excurson days

hope this helps

Paul

I read your post and smiled because I recall what it's like to be in your position! :rolleyes: It's exciting but overwhelming.

My best suggestion is for you to just be a sponge and read as much as you can for a few days. Read old threads on here. Search the internet. Review a solid travel book like Frommers or Fodors. That will help you to start to get the lay of the land. Then come ask questions; the people here are very helpful and knowledgeable and will help you plan a great vacation.

You will need to dress in layers, as the weather is variable and unpredictable.

Alaska is a beautiful place and I'm sure you will enjoy it, but don't put too much pressure on yourself to make it all perfect.

• Administrators
Husband and I are taking a cruise with Princess on 31 May.

Our ports of call are:

Ketchikan

Juneau and

Skagaway

I've been on the Princess excursions page, and there are so many I have no idea where to begin. I would love to go whale watching, but I have read a few entries where folk have booked tours independant of Princess. Are Princess whale watching tours no good?

What would you recommend we do at each port? My head is spinning from the sheer choice open to us.

Also just how cold is it going to be the first week in June? Are we talking thermal clothes? If so I need to go shopping before all the winter stock is cleared from the shops in favour of summer clothes.

I'm so excited about the cruise, but am a complete novice, and want to make this once in a lifetime trip - perfect.

Any advice greatfully received!:D

You say a "perfect" trip. I can't see that happening -- I'm still hoping for it to happen to me! But to maximize your bang for the buck and your cruise experience, here's my take.

My advice as an experienced cruiser, and user of CC, but a newbie to the Alaska board 2 months ago when I started my research, is this: read. Read threads here, and go to reviews by destination here at CC and read the '07 Alaska reviews (on any ship). Buy (or check out from the library) Frommer's Alaska (an amazing book) and read that.

Then come back here and read some more, but with a more informed eye. :) Use the search feature on the boards for topics that grab you, like bear viewing (we're sailing 6/1, and from our research I've put bear watching on the "July-August '09 land trip" schedule -- both you and I will be a bit early for that this year), floatplanes, whale-watching, etc. Read those threads.

Then go back to your ship's website and read the shore excursions with an idea in mind of what you and your party will enjoy. Make a list. Google each of the excursions to see if it's offered independently, at what price, and to see if anyone's posted a review of it that might affect your views. Edit the list.

By then you should have a good idea of what you want to do at each port, and it's time to post here to seek input/advice. This still won't give you a "perfect" cruise. But it might come closer to giving you a trip of a lifetime than taking everything as it comes, making no reservations, just booking ship excursions, etc. A caveat to all of that -- book very popular excursions as soon as you know you want to do them -- Michelle at Island Wings in Ketchikan, Harv & Marv, Captain Larry, and so forth. The only real "urgency" you should feel at this point is that some of these things may be sold out, so have a back up plan.

To answer your specific questions: It's not that ship excursions are "no good," it's that tours you book independently frequently cost less and include more than ship-sponsored excursions. What to do at each port is entirely up to your party -- interests, ages, activity levels, etc. On dress, what I've gleaned here (and have been shopping for at end of season sales) is layer, layer, layer. Long sleeve t-shirts, sweatshirts, fleece vests, a waterproof coat over it all with a removable liner for extra warmth, hat/gloves/scarf, earmuffs... bring it all so you aren't one of those who has to keep going back inside the ship to warm up while everyone else is enjoying spectacular scenery, especially on days at Glacier Bay, etc.

I'm also seriously shopping for binoculars for the first time in my life. If you search here for that you will see some great advice. I read it all, then went to my local sporting goods store to actually try out different brands and powers of binoculars. I'm a total amateur, so I might or might not get the video/photos of great stuff on this trip.... but with good binoculars I think I'll increase my chance of actually seeing it and taking home the memory.

Hope that helps -- and have fun. I'm having a blast. ;)

There are 100's of tours, few that aren't worth it. I am a big advocate of independent direct booking. However, usually the cost savings is not significant, but the personal attention and sometimes extended length, small groups etc make for a better experience. The ship contractor for whale watching is Allen Marine, a long standing well run company.

I too suggest, you need to do your homework. The more you find out about tours the easier your choice will be. It may be helpful to print out the extensive shore excursion list. Cross out all that are no interest. Then do it again. :) Your list will become more managable and then you can search or ask specific questions that will offer you more for your final decision. Don't be in a rush. There is still plenty of time for most touring.

As for weather, yes you need warm layers, knit hat and gloves, lined jacket.

Don't make a job of work out of your holiday! Don't book yourself every minute with shore tours and excursions.

It's your holiday!

Some of the best fun you will have on the trip is watching the scenery on deck or from a window on your ship.

Get an idea of a couple of things you would like to do when not on the ship and call it a day.

Your will enjoy it a great deal more this way.

Well Harv and Marv are booked on the day I am in Juneau. I have reserved an excursion with Princess in the meanwhile, but am looking for independant tours.

We took a four hour wildlife / whale watching tour with Captain Chris http://www.rumrunnercharters.net/whalewatch.htm . His boat holds six very comfortably with plenty of room for everyone.

Also if you go to Skagway you might rent a car from Avis (very soon as they reserve all of them early) and drive to Emerald Lake. Get Yukon's milepost map from this board and enjoy the ride.

Archived