Just back from Galaxy where we witnessed Super Bowl Shocker

canadiancruisers11

Hey all,

Our first time on Celebrity after 25 cruises and it was a very pleasant surprise...This forum is great; before we left I too was scouring the boards for positive comments on this ship and was shocked at the amount of negativity towards the Galaxy...To all those that are sailing on her in the near future, DO NOT WORRY! Yes, it's old, but is's got character...One of my favourite things to do is sit out on the Promenade Deck with a great book, listen to the wind and the waves and basically just chill out from society..I've done my first review for Cruise Critic which I had a good time doing...Sat in front of the TV with the laptop watching the Friday the 13th marathon, number 4 is actually quite good with a young Corey Feldman...Anyway, I'll include the review for all that are interested and hope I did a good job...

To all those that are sailing on her in the near future, relax, crawl out from the corner from your fetal position and take a breath...You're going to enjoy it...Any other things we can offer, don't hesitate to e-mail, would love to talk about it...

Check it out

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=37830

Newts

Thanks for the great bit of news. After reading so many negative posts about how old and tired Galaxy is, I resorted to justification: "I can't this itinerary up," or "it's just too inexpensive not to be able to overlook all the bad things on the ship."

So, I am now relaxed and ready to enjoy a great itinerary at a great price, and not even worry about the condition of the ship! Thanks for making my day.

Joe

To all those that are sailing on her in the near future, .Any other things we can offer, don't hesitate to e-mail, would love to talk about it...

Newts

It's nice to hear you had a great trip. We're on Galaxy for the Transatlantic in May right after the long awaited refurbishment. We use Detroit airport for the same reason you use Buffalo's.. and in our case DTW is closer than the 3 hours (on a rare good day) to Toronto.

Would you happen to have the names of the Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Director, and perhaps the Captain's Club Hostess?

Arno (in Chatham)

Hi all,

Just finished reading your review on the Galaxy. Couldn't agree more about this wonderful, but much maligned ship! My husband and I were on the Galaxy in October for a 14 day med cruise. We loved it! Just to compare, we talked our family into going on a large ship the EOS from Cape Liberty, very convenient for us because we live outside of Baltimore. EOS has all the "bells and whistles" anyone could want,but way too big (I felt like I was in a floating mall at xmas!) and way too many people! We had a good time, but it wasn't as nice as the Galaxy. We just booked a 10 day cruise from San Juan on the Galaxy for next January. I'm inviting as many friends and family members as I can to join us. That is how certain I am that they too will enjoy themselves. Of course, everyone has different tastes, but for me , big (and newer) isn't necessarily better.

Hi,:) first, my condolonces go out to you on the loss of your Mom.

Thanks for the review. I sail her next month and am really looking

forward it:) I have been on most of the X ships but it will be

my first time on Galaxy.

Seems every ship has those who love them and those who don't.

Glad you and your family and friends all had a great time.:D

Did things get better with your Dining room waiter? Were ya'll

participants in the Martini Bar at all? Just wondering how

the bartender was in there?

Just wondering if any staff or crew stood out for you (in a good

way;)).

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us.

Thanks so much for your review. I am very happy to know that things are good on the Galaxy. We will be sailing March 17 and we are bringing friends who have never sailed the Galaxy before.

What time did you get to the pier for embarkation?

Thank you

Originator: in your review you say:

"..if you have any problems with your table at main seating, try the alternative dining upstairs...Make a reservation, tip a little to your waiter and you'll be pleased to see how less busy it is and more intimate up there..."

What, exactly, is "alternative dining" on the Galaxy?

Wow, nice to see some action on this...Gotta tell ya, we were in the same boat (pardon the pun) when we booked this, nervous, apprehensive, but it's one of the best we've been on, itinerary wise...In reference to the names of everyone, Captain, Hotel Director, etc...I can get the names, have to go through all the materials, I know the Captain was Greek, nice guy but as per usual on most of the cruises we've taken, no idea what was he said at the 12pm announcement unless you had your head directly inside the speaker.

Things did not get better with the waiter, didn't have anything against the guy, I love eating in the dining room, it just wasn't his week...Alternative was upstairs at the Oasis where you would go for breakfast and lunch, after 3:30, they did it up beautifully with tablecloths, nice silverwear, and a quiet atmosphere...We made reservations for the rest of the nights with our new best friend Savvio...He was a snack attendant who was training to be a waiter and did a great job, all the things you're looking for when you cruise, he remembers your name, your drinks you had the previous night, desserts, etc...Just a nice fella trying to do a good job and he did...We tipped well every night (It was suggested $2 per person) sad to see other people stiffing the dining staff the nights that we were there, I know it says suggested but come on...They had a menu upstairs that turned itself over every 3 days so you always had a chance to get something nice.

We got to the pier around 2...We asked for late check out for the Caribe Hilton and got it so we were on the ship by around 2:30...As far as the Martini Bar, funny you should bring that up, my fav is the chocolate martini but since my wife says it's a "chick drink" she has to get it for me every time we order...Or I just go with a nice Apple or Cosmopolitan...

As for the sauna...Since we were elite members with RCI and that carried over to Celebrity, we didn't have to pay to use the Thalasso therapy pool...Otherwise, bit of a rip-off at $20 per day or $99 for the trip...I do reccommend the therapy pool if you do get a chance to sneak in there, no burly security or bouncers to drag your ass out so take the risk, it's really nice for the body...My right knee was in rough shape from a b-ball injury and a half hour a day in that pool did wonders for the pain.

Let's see, what else, oh yeah, Cruise Director, Luke Bonney, no disrespect my man but my 12 year old son has more charisma...He was the dryest CD I've ever seen...Would come out before and after shows and look like he was reading from a cue card, if I want that I'll watch Leno, thanks

Nice to see somalier's (hope that's right spelling) on board a ship...Love the wine every night with dinner, usually like the white, had red one night with the Prime Rib, got smashed (in a good way)...

I don't know if I mentioned this in my review but when you come back on board from the islands, there is a crew member waiting for you holding a plate with ice cold towels on it that you can use to wipe your face, neck...Hard to believe that something that minute would make such a big difference when you've been in the sun all day...

Have a great night

Newts

Might you remember the name of the bartender in the Martini Bar? I'm a regular Celebrity cruiser and I just might know the bartender. :D

I'm also from Canada (Vancouver), and definitely expect to enjoy my cruise on the Galaxy next month. :)

Donald.

Great to hear others saying what I have been saying all year since I cruised Galaxy last March. She is my favorite ship. Loved her so much I booked her again in two weeks!!!!!

But we all should not be letting out the secret, then everyone else will be booking her any we won't get a shot at the best cabins!!!!

I am happy the op found out the truth about this hidden gem!

Thanks for the review - I enjoyed reading it and found it helpful.

I wanted to ask you about the Caribe Hilton - we are staying there next month before our Galaxy trip. We have always stayed at the OSJ Sheraton and have never been granted late checkout.

When did you request your late check out (was it before you checked in or after) and what sort of stores or markets are nearby? We would like to buy some water to bring on the ship prior to embarkation. Is there anything in walking distance around the hotel worth seeing or do you have to take a cab into OSJ? Thanks again! C.J.

Whats up Bikini?

We asked for it after we checked in and waited until the mad rush of people had died down around the front desk...I went up, said how great the hotel was and couldn't believe the views from the pool and the beach and were happy we made the choice to book there...Yes, I was sucking up but it worked and we weren't kicked out early and it was nice to have a great breakfast outside by the pool, swim for the morning, and then have no pressure to head to the ship early..

Not sure about anything around the area, we stayed on the grounds to eat but they do have some shops by the lobby...If you don't mind paying a little bit, stay and enjoy the facilities for B/L/D, good food, good service, just pay the bill, don't dwell on it too much and talk about how big the shrimps were in your cocktail...Work with the people on the boards here and you should be able to get your water, you'll have a good time though...We also liked to stay at Sheraton OSJ but the Galaxy is at the other pier so you're better off at the Caribe...Have a great time

Smooth sailing to you all

Newts

Archived