Just back from Southern Itinerary, want a great day, try this beach!

canadiancruisers11

My family just returned from a 10 day Southern itinerary on the Galaxy and have to say that my all-time favourite island is now Curacao! We were going to go to Porto Mari but after much discussion at 10 bucks a head and there was myself, my wife, son, and our friend Helen, we decided we would forgo the 80 buck round trip Porto Mari trip and try another guy that said go to where the crew goes that no one really knows about...drum roll please...tell your driver to take you to CON TIKI...We thought we'd give it a whirl and after a nice trip over the bridge we pulled up to an entrance that left more to be desired, I was thinkin' man I'm gonna catch it for this one...

We got out, went to the entrance, $3 each to get in and we proceded down the path to the unknown...Well, we came through the trees and then all four of us stood there and basically just stared at what was in front of us...A resort with the swaying palms, bar and restaurant to the right of us, beach in front with a protected lagoon, I will try and post pics when I get them downloaded to computer, hard to explain how beautiful this place was, if you're into a relaxing day without all the hub bub and body to body sun worshippers, then this place is for you...$3 each for the chair and $5 for the thatch roof hut you can lay under which I reccommend to stay out of the sun on occassion...We loved this place, I'm a swimmer so to go into a protected calm cove and do my laps with schools of fish passing underneath, I felt like Magnum P.I swimming in Hawaii...Kim loved collecting all of her shells on the beach and Trent had a blast swimming and laying under the thatch hut where he passed out for 2 hours....Fresh water shower behind us and a beautiful massage hut right on the beach that we treated ourselves to as well...$45 for 40 minutes, I bought Trent his first massage (yeah, he's only 12, I asked him how it was and he says "I think it moved", thank you George Costanza)

I have never had a more relaxing day...We bought lunch and had it on the beach, burgs and BLT's in our little hut...Take a walk down the endless beach as well and you'll see some of the other resorts...Words of advice for families that are not used to topless, don't go if you are adverse to a little bit of nudity...And I'm not talking about the St. Maarten Orient beach 75 year old kind of nudity, there were people there that should have been on the cover of a magazine...Try walking down that stretch with your wife with her saying "look how pretty that girl is, what a body" What the hell am I supposed to say to that, thank god for wrap around shades...Anyway, that was farther down the beach...You can rent jet skis, the bar is really nice as well, and the staff is very friendly...

I hope other people have the same experience we did...This day altered us so much that we actually came back home to look at property down there (which is very reasonable by the way)

Pics will be coming, anything else you need to know, holla back and I'll give you the 411..

Smooth sailing to you all

Newts

My hubby and I will be sailing into Curacao in early March. The Kon Tiki sounds right up our alley. I would love to see your pictures. The massage sounds like a good deal. How were the prices on food and drinks? How long did it take to get there by taxi? What was the cost of the ride? Thanks for your nice review.

Debbie

How was the snorkeling at Kon tiki? We have our own gear.

Hey carbon,

From what I could tell, people that were into snorkeling were having a good day...From the cove, you just swim out from the beach to the break in the rocks, crawl over and front the hoops and hollers I was listening too while swimming, people were having a good time, I saw a ton of fish just doing laps in the cove out over by the rocks

My hubby and I will be sailing into Curacao in early March. The Kon Tiki sounds right up our alley. I would love to see your pictures. The massage sounds like a good deal. How were the prices on food and drinks? How long did it take to get there by taxi? What was the cost of the ride? Thanks for your nice review.

Debbie

Hi Deb,

If memory serves me right, no more than 4-5 bucks per person to get there, food was great, I had cheeseburger with fries and coke, Kim had a really nice looking Turkey BLT with fries and drink, was probably $22 with tip, expected for beach food at a resort...10-15 minutes by taxi..

I hope you have as good a time as we had, I'll post pics soon

Newts

Newts, what an awesome album. I enjoyed the whole thing. We sailed on the Mercury last year. It is the sister ship to yours. I recognized alot of the same areas on the ship.

OK you sold me. We're off to Kon Tiki in 3 weeks. Did you happen to notice if they rented floaties for the water? If not, what Kim did looked good to me. Lay right down in the sand.

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and all the info. We have really been struggling on what to do in Curacao but that problem is solved.

Debbie

Deb

Let me know how you like it, keep in touch

Newts

Newts, what an awesome album. I enjoyed the whole thing. We sailed on the Mercury last year. It is the sister ship to yours. I recognized alot of the same areas on the ship.

OK you sold me. We're off to Kon Tiki in 3 weeks. Did you happen to notice if they rented floaties for the water? If not, what Kim did looked good to me. Lay right down in the sand.

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and all the info. We have really been struggling on what to do in Curacao but that problem is solved.

Debbie

Thanks for the info and the pics, fellow Canadian!!

Curacao is the only island on our March cruise that wasn't settled yet, and I think KonTiki might do it! So, I gather it is a resort, but day-trippers are welcome to rent the chairs and palapas and eat/drink at the resort's restaurant?

It sure looks like a beautiful spot, and not crowded, which is a big bonus in my books.

Bonnie

Tried to work on the pics today, I'll post it here and hope it works, enjoy the shots of Con Tiki, click on my lovely wife and son and you should be good to go

Newts

2414919910085399036kLcsKi_th.jpg

Hey canadiancruisers.....sorry, but I click on the small pic of your lovely family, but nothing happens. What might I do to see these pics?

Thanks for sharing. We too were wondering what to do in Curacao. We had not had good reports on the beaches there. Too many shells and not smooth sands. Is this beach better?

kathyanddick

Wondering if you noticed if the Sea Aquarium & Sea Aquarium Beach were right near there (Kon Tiki)? Looks like they are right next to each other on the map; but, this will be my first visit, so I'm not sure...

We are looking into doing the Sea Lion Snorkel at the Aquarium and then going over to the beach.

Did you hear of anyone visiting the aquarium on your cruise; and, if so, what kind of feedback?

Thanks!

Jamey K

We thought we'd give it a whirl and after a nice trip over the bridge we pulled up to an entrance that left more to be desired, I was thinkin' man I'm gonna catch it for this one...

Hawaii...Kim loved collecting all of her shells on the beach and Trent had a blast swimming and laying under the thatch hut where he passed out for 2 hours....Fresh water shower behind us and a beautiful massage hut right on the beach that we treated ourselves to as well...$45 for 40 minutes, I bought Trent his first massage (yeah, he's only 12, I asked him how it was and he says "I think it moved", thank you George Costanza)

on the cover of a magazine...Try walking down that stretch with your wife

I hope other people have the same experience we did...This day altered us so much that we actually came back home to look at property down there (which is very reasonable by the way)

Pics will be coming, anything else you need to know, holla back and I'll give you the 411..

Smooth sailing to you all

Newts

I really loved your review....I know exactly how you feel when you "think you are gonna catch it for this one" !!!

We will be in Curacau in May on the Adventure

Question? at the Kon Tiki....do they wait on you on the beach or is it serve yourself get up to the bar and order your own drinks and food?

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, no internet access for the last couple of days...Glad to see that people are as excited to check this place out as we were to find it...

Txskier, they'll come right to you on the beach to see what you want for food...Bar is not that far from the beach and is really nice, covered and stuck back in amongst the trees...Good cheeseburgs, hit the spot

Marcy, we used a cab from the ship, they'll try to talk you into going to Port Mari which is nice as well, just a little pricey to get there, just make the deal with the driver to come back and get ya, but try to make it worth if so he or she has a full load going back to the ship, if you miss the time and stay later, they have a cab stand there

Nomoresnow75, cool screen name, the aquarium is next door to resort, we didn't check it out but it looked cool

KathyandDick, should work, takes you to Webshots page of that particular trip, let me know if you still have trouble and I'll e-mail em to ya...Loved the beach, yes, it is nice and sandy, there are shells but you're not carvin yourself up tryin to get in the water...As I said, if you're a swimmer, bring your goggles and get a great swim workout in the lagoon, think Magnum P.I...

Gotta go, be back later

Newts

Newts,

The timing of your post was perfect! We have not been able to decide what to do in Curacao, then my daughter said today she would like to do more snorkeling on this trip. I wanted to see if anyone has posted on the Snorkel Aquarium Park. Well, I think we know what we will do now, this place sounds AWESOME! Remind me of a snorkel beach we went to in Roatan, Honduras. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. My husband actually belly laughed at your comments about your son's massage. Sound like a kid with a great sense of humor! :):)

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Archived