whale watching

cigpooh

Just back from Destiny, Feb 3rd thru Feb 10th. We didn't think Carnival was offering whale watching, so we booked through Shore Trips. Once we were on the ship it was listed on the shore excursion list. We were happy with our trip through Shore Trips. We saw lots of whales.

How many people were on the whale watching boat through Shore Trips?

• 2 months later...

One problem with this beautiful island...everywhere they charged for the toilet/washroom/loo usage. A word of advice...when you visit here bring some 1$ bills to pay just in case you need to go.... which let's face it ...everyone will eventually. Last month on the "Dominican favorites" tour our admission fees didn't cover bathrooms at Trafalgar Falls or Emerald Pool.

One problem with this beautiful island...everywhere they charged for the toilet/washroom/loo usage. A word of advice...when you visit here bring some 1$ bills to pay just in case you need to go.... which let's face it ...everyone will eventually. Last month on the "Dominican favorites" tour our admission fees didn't cover bathrooms at Trafalgar Falls or Emerald Pool.

.....same as most of Europe........you have to pay to pee.....:)

You find out that outside the US, that you have to pay for the toilet.

You have some places that even issue out toilet paper!

I go to WalMart and buy two of the mini rolls to pack. They very small and come in handy!!

Happy sailing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeaahh I noticed a thriving trade in toilet privileges when we were up at Trafalgar Falls.

The toilet lady did at least as much trade as the Falls themselves!

After the nightmare road conditions and parking congestion up there

you'll need to go, so carry those US$1 bills - you'll be needing them!

1911904655_Trafalgarcarpark.jpg.3679772b489cb8ece461b1e9139ee904.jpg

We did the dolphin and whale excursion last week while on the Explorer of the Seas, the boat we were on was the Stingray, we saw a pod of about 200 or so dolphins and 6-7 sperm whales. We all thoroughly enjoyed the whole excursion, i highly recommend it.

we're on Explorer in November and am interested in the whale watching but want to have time to go snorkeling at Champagne Reef also.

we're on Explorer in November and am interested in the whale watching but want to have time to go snorkeling at Champagne Reef also.

we did the ships tour in Dominica last year thru Princess (probably same tour) and we did the morning one and were back at the dock by 12:30 - so there is time to do something else.

However check if you are going to do another ship's tour as it could be tight, but if you are doing it on your own, then no problem.

When we were there in Jan it poured rain in the afternoon and it was dark and cloudy - still warm. There is no way you would of seen much snorkeling so you may want to do your own arrangements and alter them if the weather does not cooperate.

Hi Nesheiml,

If you snorkel at Champagne Reef, I would like to suggest getting a guide at Irie Safari, right at the trailhead to the reef. My DH and DS 17,22, had a guide and said the time they spent with her made that day a highlight of our vacation. It was well worth the $5 pp.

Hi all

we are hoping to go Whale Watching in October??? hoping to see something,,, has anyone done this during this month - did you have to book in advance of your cruise...

thanks

Sue

I would like to know this, too. We're on Destiny in mid-July and would like to know if I should book the tour in advance or is onboard OK.

For people who spend thousands on a cruise, I can't believe anyone would begrudge a buck, one dollar, to these island people who clearly have their own expenses. I give them two and thank them for their hospitality.

AMommyof2,

I booked a whale watch exursion today for July'08. IF I remember, I will post to let you know if we see any whales. I will be back on July 15th. I hope you will not already be gone. At least I will get a boat ride if I don't see any whales!

For people who spend thousands on a cruise, I can't believe anyone would begrudge a buck, one dollar, to these island people who clearly have their own expenses. I give them two and thank them for their hospitality.

I too gracefully give them a buck. My concern is for those who might not be carrying a wad of $1 bills. What would they do? Ask the toilet lady to break a $20? At least I had the foresight to stockpile small bills. Others might not.

It's a matter of organization for one thing.

The tour we did in Dominica took us to the airport :eek: for our bathroom break!! Believe me, I'd have gladly paid $1 to keep from WASTING 3/4 hour at the airport with NOTHING to see or do!!!!

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the tour (it was on the NCL Pearl). It was one of the basic island tours though. It's the main thing I remember about the island!!!

I'm looking forward to going again next April so I can get a better image of Dominica in my mind!!!:o

A Mommy of two...

We are back from the Destiny. We went whale watching in Dominica and had a blast! We saw about 100 spotted dolphins first. It took about an hour to find them. Then we spent about 20 minutes watching a pod of black pilot whales. There were about 12-13 of them. At first they were swimming and surfacing, then they just stopped on the surface. We took many pictures of them. After that we were looking for other whales and our guide got so excited. He shouted, "Orca!" and we found 2 Orcas (killer whales). We saw two others later. They played around the boat and went under it. Great pictures! Our guides said they had only seen Orcas there one time before years ago. They had been doing the tour guide thing for many years and this was only the second time they had seen them. I think they were more excited than we were! They explained that as long as Orcas are around we would not see any whales. The Orcas keep the whales away!

So....well worth the trip! You can never tell if you will see anything or not. I hope this gets to you before you leave for your cruise. You said middle of July, but did not specify the date. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Nesheiml,

If you snorkel at Champagne Reef, I would like to suggest getting a guide at Irie Safari, right at the trailhead to the reef. My DH and DS 17,22, had a guide and said the time they spent with her made that day a highlight of our vacation. It was well worth the $5 pp.

my DH will be scuba diving with them while I snorkel.

• 2 weeks later...
A Mommy of two...

We are back from the Destiny. We went whale watching in Dominica and had a blast! We saw about 100 spotted dolphins first. It took about an hour to find them. Then we spent about 20 minutes watching a pod of black pilot whales. There were about 12-13 of them. At first they were swimming and surfacing, then they just stopped on the surface. We took many pictures of them. After that we were looking for other whales and our guide got so excited. He shouted, "Orca!" and we found 2 Orcas (killer whales). We saw two others later. They played around the boat and went under it. Great pictures! Our guides said they had only seen Orcas there one time before years ago. They had been doing the tour guide thing for many years and this was only the second time they had seen them. I think they were more excited than we were! They explained that as long as Orcas are around we would not see any whales. The Orcas keep the whales away!

So....well worth the trip! You can never tell if you will see anything or not. I hope this gets to you before you leave for your cruise. You said middle of July, but did not specify the date. Have fun!

Who did you book your tour through?

Glad to see that I've helped someone. Maybe your tours won't have that problem. If they go to Trafalgar or Emerald Pools, they will.

Also at these waterfalls, wear good walking shoes with firm gripping soles. I did and still slipped a couple of times on the wet rocky surfaces.

Hey All!!

I just got back from a cruise and I did not pay for the bathroom at emerald pools or trafalger falls... Our guide said that becasue the admission rates had gone up so much that its now not pay per use for the toilet:)

Hope that helps! Enjoy it is a beautiful island..

Archived