whale watching

cigpooh

I just got back from a cruise and I did not pay for the bathroom at emerald pools or trafalger falls...

Our guide said that becasue the admission rates had gone up so much that its now not pay per use for the toilet:)

Oh Thank God!

Now we can peee for freee! :cool:

We are thinking of the whale excursion time we will be there is Feb.25 is this a good time. I realize wildlife is wildlife and sometimes it isthe luck of the draw. When we were in Skagway Alaska in May 2008 we saw only a few in the pouring wind blown rain but I was still happy to see something at least. The morning cruise group so lots and had the pictures to prove it. I'm crossing my fingers.

We are thinking of the whale excursion time we will be there is Feb.25 is this a good time. I realize wildlife is wildlife and sometimes it isthe luck of the draw. When we were in Skagway Alaska in May 2008 we saw only a few in the pouring wind blown rain but I was still happy to see something at least. The morning cruise group so lots and had the pictures to prove it. I'm crossing my fingers.

See my post above about our excursion in Feb 2007 - about the sime time of the month as your trip.

Hi- we're booking our whale watching excursion w/ Princess and wondered- is there a better time of day to see the whales? (ie, more active early morning or later?). I know with wildlife there's a chance we won't see any whales:rolleyes: , but we think we have a pretty good chance in December. Thanks for your responses!! :D

I too gracefully give them a buck. My concern is for those who might not be carrying a wad of $1 bills. What would they do? Ask the toilet lady to break a $20? At least I had the foresight to stockpile small bills. Others might not.

It's a matter of organization for one thing.

Believe me the lady will not break a $20.00. I learned the hard way. I was having severe bladder issues while we visited this island. She about held me hostage while a friend found change for a $20.00... so words of advise take the extra $1 bills.

Believe me the lady will not break a $20.00. I learned the hard way. I was having severe bladder issues while we visited this island. She about held me hostage while a friend found change for a $20.00... so words of advise take the extra $1 bills.

That was my point...the toilet lady AIN'T GUNNA DO-IT. ha ha

I say where-ever we go. to take a wad of $1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Going to Dominica early november with P. and O. How big are the boats that are used for the Whale watching. I dont like small boats but my OH would like to do this.

thanks chrissy

What type of boats are used, planned one from Princess - are they covered?

Would really appreciate your help.

What type of boats are used, planned one from Princess - are they covered?

Would really appreciate your help.

I can't say exactly what the length of the boat was, but it was fairly large, larger than the ship tenders or a fishing boat and large enough to take 20 or 30 people and not be over crowded. The boat has an inside cabin on the lower deck as well as an outside area on the lower deck. But the best viewing is from the upper deck which is pretty much uncovered (except for a small area that is really just for the captain). So the only covered area is on the lower deck.

Didn't take any pictures of the whole boat but here is one or two that show the upper deck. I imagine the other companies use similar size boats but I can't say that for sure:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/2513971_AqdVu#132024036_QtgVK

You could Google "Dive Dominica" the company that ran our boat and find their email address from their site and ask if they are doing the excursion for your ship (give them ship name and date) and ask about the size.

I too gracefully give them a buck. My concern is for those who might not be carrying a wad of $1 bills. What would they do? Ask the toilet lady to break a $20? At least I had the foresight to stockpile small bills. Others might not.

It's a matter of organization for one thing.

I'll bet she could break a fifty or a hundred with out any problem (unless it's early in the day!)

I'll bet she could break a fifty or a hundred with out any problem (unless it's early in the day!)

I would not take that bet. When we were there and I needed to use the toilet, I gladly gave her a dollar and she pulled out a wad of dollars to add mine to it. Oh yes, she could break a firty with no problem.

Laura

We will be in Dominica in the middle of December. I just booked with Island Style Fishing and was told the boat could handle up to 12, so I assume it is fairly small. My husband and I have done whale watching in Alaska and Cabo and found that the smaller boat in Cabo allowed us to get closer to the whales, but it all depends on what you like best!

Terry

...My husband and I have done whale watching in Alaska and Cabo and found that the smaller boat in Cabo allowed us to get closer to the whales, but it all depends on what you like best!

Terry

The captain of the boat in Dominica told us there were strict rules as to how close any boat could approach the whales, so size of boat might not make a big difference - we were on a boat that could hold way more than 12, but still not huge enough to need to keep further away than a small boat.

Now if the whales surfaced closer to the boat, or they approached the boat it was a different matter. Then the captain could remain for watching - they don't have to move further away if it is the whale that comes close to them. I think there was a similar rule where we did a whale watching trip in Alaska.

Oh yeah, give the attendant a $50 bill, just don't expect $49 in change.

That one of the hard lessons this guy has learned in travel.

We always carry small bills on shore. Nothing like pulling out a stack of 20s in front of the guy that may make that much in a week. Keep the small in 1 pocket and the larger in another. Always best to cover your butt. Kind of funny since is is about washrooms

I, too, would like to know the answer.

I don't know about the effects of Dominica's difficult topography, but Metro beach is not far, as crow flies. I presume that most tourists get a cab for a couple of hours and head for Mero Beach. That way they will have wheels back.

Hi .. we just returned from our 2 week HAL cruise... we booked this thru HAL and did the catamaran whale watch... we saw a lot of dolphins first and they did have a hard time finding whales, but a couple did show, but as we tried to get closer the went on their way. We also did the champagne reef which was amazing.. Gear is supplied by the tour guide. The guide also went into the water with us and pointed out different types of coral, fish, etc. He also captured some of the fresh, hot water for us to feel.. and it is HOT! Some of the best snorkeling we've done in the Caribbean.... All in all we loved this tour... the sailing was great as well as the crew.

Hi .. we just returned from our 2 week HAL cruise... we booked this thru HAL and did the catamaran whale watch... we saw a lot of dolphins first and they did have a hard time finding whales, but a couple did show, but as we tried to get closer the went on their way. We also did the champagne reef which was amazing.. Gear is supplied by the tour guide. The guide also went into the water with us and pointed out different types of coral, fish, etc. He also captured some of the fresh, hot water for us to feel.. and it is HOT! Some of the best snorkeling we've done in the Caribbean.... All in all we loved this tour... the sailing was great as well as the crew.

How long was it? Drinks?

Thanks in advance.

Hugh in Dallas

Archived