Wow...I like HAL's new website design...

Laserjock

I saw a notice the other day on the site that said they would be down for maintenance today for a certain period of time.

I really like it too. It's more modern and up-to-date looking. However, I tried to retrieve one of our cruises and wasn't able to do so. Maybe all the features just aren't working yet.

But, yes, it does look great.:)

I really like the look of it, and love the interactive maps. Unfortunately the cruise I was looking for still wasn't there - the Mediterranean Oct/09. They still just have the Prinsendam itineraries listed and they're a little too rich for my blood right now. Sigh, must keep on waiting.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• Administrators

I've spent some time this morning trying to navigate the new website and maybe I'm missing something, but I've encountered some problems. As a booked guest, I went to the home page, then entered the shore excursions booking engine for my cruise (just wanted to be sure the ones I've booked are still there, and they were).

However, from there, I could find NO way to get out of that engine and back to the main homepage. There were no navigation buttons, no link to "Home," and using my browser's back button took me only so far back as the shore ex sign in page and it wouldn't go further back. I finally typed in the main homepage address and clicked "go." I usually don't have trouble getting around even the most poorly designed websites, so this is unusual for me. Did I just somehow miss those navigation buttons?

Also, when I tried to log into the site, it says my email doesn't exist. So I thought maybe I made a mistake, and went to check my email folders. Nope, I found the one from HAL registering that address to their site, so I know I registered with that email address. Did this revamp eliminate previously-registered site users, or (again) have I missed something?

I can use a work around for the first problem, and can re-register if need be -- but before I do that I wanted to ask if anyone else had encountered the same problems or saw something I am missing.

I just had a look at it, and think it is not too bad at all.

However, when using the links to find the cruise I have booked on the Ryndam in June 2008, I am informed that Veendam is the ship departing on the date we have booked? :confused:

There my be some further tweaking needed ! ;)

Edit - now went to links for Veendam and see that she is shown as doing the north/south run, and will be at sea on my sailing date. Our sailing date BTW is June 11 2008 if anyone else would like to check out my findings.

It does look fresh and clean. When I logged in, they had my address filled in ... but not my name! :confused: Oh, well. I do hope they have improved the functionality of the site along with the asthetics. I'll try playing around with it some more later today.

However, from there, I could find NO way to get out of that engine and back to the main homepage. There were no navigation buttons, no link to "Home," and using my browser's back button took me only so far back as the shore ex sign in page and it wouldn't go further back. I finally typed in the main homepage address and clicked "go." I usually don't have trouble getting around even the most poorly designed websites, so this is unusual for me. Did I just somehow miss those navigation buttons?

I just booked a shore excursion for my upcoming cruise. After paying, the list re-appears. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and there is a button that said "Next Steps". clicking that takes you to a what you need to know type of page with all of the navigation tabs shown.

If you decide you don't want to book, simply keep clicking Proceed/Agree etc., until the list re-appears.

Cheers,

• Administrators
I just booked a shore excursion for my upcoming cruise. After paying, the list re-appears. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, and there is a button that said "Next Steps". clicking that takes you to a what you need to know type of page with all of the navigation tabs shown.

If you decide you don't want to book, simply keep clicking Proceed/Agree etc., until the list re-appears.

Cheers,

Thanks, that does work. Pretty kludgy, though, not to have a "bail out" home button at an earlier point if people aren't actually changing bookings, just looking at them, or researching to see whether they might want to add another excursion to the itinerary.

Well, after lauding on the new site after I went in last night to look around some more I found it could not locate my Mariner number and my login wasn't working.

My cruise did come up finally, but for a while had a bit of a panic moment...LOL.

Then again, we are cruise newbies and have only booked our second cruise ever....though they have both been on HAL.

I can't log in either. I hate the way they ask for country of residence on the first page. It's just a waste of time so I do something different every time I log in - usually the most obscure country I can think of. They could find out my country from my cookies anyway if they really wanted accurate info.

Yes, it's cleaner looking but functionality is way more important and today it's awful.

The new website is pretty good and improved. as far as your sign on Calm down everyone. With the new site you need to register your email address and a password along with either your Mariner number or booking number. then after sign on update your profile. Then every thing is under one sign on.

As with everything new both the developers will work out bugs and we the public will get used to the new format....

Have fun Crusing

Was just setting up my profile for email notification for special offers and noticed this little gem:

Note: past guests of these lines (Carnival, Princess, Windstar, Seaborn, Costa, Cunard) are entitled to Mariner (alumni) rates on Holland America Line

This would be a very nice policy.:D

Was just setting up my profile for email notification for special offers and noticed this little gem:

Note: past guests of these lines (Carnival, Princess, Windstar, Seaborn, Costa, Cunard) are entitled to Mariner (alumni) rates on Holland America Line

This would be a very nice policy.:D

It's always been their policy - The reality however is that the "Mariner discount" means very little...

Anyone notice that of all the photos of the ships on the site, only Amsterdam's exterior photo is post-SOE? All the other ships are their original appearance...

Looks nice but one thing I really really do miss...

I haven't got a cruise booked at the moment but DH and I are planning to book. We like to check also the shore excursions in beforehand (and the prices :D ). Now it seems that you cannot see the actual prices for shore excursions anymore! :( :( :( You have to have a booking and go to the shorex booking engine to get the prices. If you don't have a cruise booked and just want to check shorex you only see price symbols ($,$$,$$$ etc.). I know I'm a super planner but I'm sure I'm not the only one...hopefully... :p

Interesting.....just now tried to register for logging in. After filling everything out, it said "unsuccessful". So I tried again, and it didn't say if it was successful or not :confused: So I tried again, again it didn't say if it was successful, so I just tried logging in, and it worked :confused:

Oh well. I too have a Mac, but haven't tried anything else past logging in.

Archived