Are Swim Diapers allowed in pool

frayedend

[quote name='stretch'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][color=darkred]Boy, am I ever disappointed!! [img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_2.gif[/img] I just knew Folgy would have the perfect reply to the OP's question. [/color][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][color=#8b0000]The answer is a big [size=5][color=red]NO!.[img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_14_2.gif[/img][/color][/size][/color][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=darkred]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]

LOL,

Here's my reply :

The swimmydiapers are perfectly acceptable to be worn in the water off starboard /off aft /off bow or off port of the ship :D

[quote name='CruiseCool']Folgy.

Doesn't that interfere with the RCCL clean oceans program? lol :D[/QUOTE]

Oh My! :p Your right. How could I have been so thoughtless to our enviroment?

correction : Swimmy diapers on 'crumb crunching critters' will be only accepted in your own blow up pool in your cabin.

;)

Just thought I would throw a real-life episode in with everyone's opinions. I am an NICU nurse who "floats" to Pediatrics in a major hospital. Last year an 8 year old boy almost died from crypto. He had been on a vacation with his parents in Orlando and had swam in the pool where the parents had seen plenty of swim-diaper clad tots swimming as well. Two other organisms were identified as well. The Infectious-Disease Doctor spent a lot of time hunting this one down. There were POSITIVE as to the source, once the cultures came back. He lectured the parents on the Hotels (this was a Mariott) who allow tots to swim in the pool. The little boy was so sick he was transferred to Texas Children's Hospital where he spent 3 weeks in ICU. Fortunately he recovered. So.... you can see this "swimmie" thing has life-threatening consequences.

Your quote:
correction : Swimmy diapers on 'crumb crunching critters' will be only accepted in your own blow up pool in your cabin.

Please, I beg of you. :o
Tell all the mom's and dad's reading this that you were only kidding. I could be the one under their balcony when they empty the pool over the side of the ship.
If the ship were moving, can you picture the balconies beneath? UGH! :eek: :D

I know that on the Legend it is posted on all pools and hot tubs - no children in diapers. When people disobeyed and had children in with diapers, they closed the hot tub, drained it, cleaned it and refilled it. It remained closed for many hours. This one couple kept bringing their kid in the pool even after warnings. They were almost disembarked from the ship after angry words with ship officers.

Well, a simple "No they aren't allowed in the pool, but there is a kiddie pool for them" would have been more than enough.

I know a lot about microbiology, but this protozoa cryptosporidium seems like a tough one to kill and so has become more of a problem in recent years. Anyhow, I still think that the risk from unsanitary adults is probably as high as from kids in swim diapers. Really, I hope all of the cooks wash their hands frequently. I hope all the adults in the pool are healthy. If my kid had diarrhea I would think that we would not go in any pool. I'd expect the same from adults. That's about it. I hope this thread can finally rest in peace.

[I]frayedend:[/I] Guess you didn't believe my response on that earlier thread. Did you think I was just making up this rule on my own? I [I]have[/I] been on RCI cruises recently and do actually know a few things; and when I don't--and boy is there alot of stuff I [I]don't[/I] know--I don't respond as if I do.

beachchick

Why are people are getting mad about this? Because it's disgusting that's why! Even if a child does crap in its nappies which are supposed to be leak proof, that doesn't stop germs getting out. I don't pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise so I can swim in a sewer. :mad: Foul.

[quote name='Peggy13']If the Mariner is like the Voyager, it should have a baby pool in the back - I think near the Johnny Rockets restaurant.[/QUOTE]

Nope, the design was changed a bit. There's no baby pool on Mariner, and the back deck area was converted over to a teen area. As Slyder said, there's a shallow section of the main pool that's separated from the deeper area with a kind of decorative fence to keep the waders from walking off the edge. :eek:
But untrained children are still not permitted in the wading area.

Chris

[quote name='Folgy']LOL,

Here's my reply :

The swimmydiapers are perfectly acceptable to be worn in the water off starboard /off aft /off bow or off port of the ship :D[/QUOTE]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=darkred]Folgy, I know I could count on you to post the perfect response.[/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_11v.gif[/img][/color][/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][color=#8b0000]Stretch[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='lahore']Why are people are getting mad about this? Because it's disgusting that's why! Even if a child does crap in its nappies which are supposed to be leak proof, that doesn't stop germs getting out. I don't pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise so I can swim in a sewer. :mad: Foul.[/QUOTE]

I've said I won't put my kid in the pool. I've said I've been educated. I've said I was misinformed on another board. And still I get these replies. So now I agree that putting an untrained kid in the pool increases the risk because they are more likely to have an accident. As for the above reply, I can see people getting mad if their health is at risk. But swim suits don't stop germs from washing off of sick people either. Unfortunately we can't detect which passengers may have a "digestive problem". I just read a few things about adults getting the same illness (cryptosporidium) in the hot tubs, more often than any pools.
This from the CDC should be of interest....

("But pool contamination is due to more than just diapers. Most people don't cleanse themselves sufficiently after bowel movements, which can add up to 2 to 3 pounds of feces a day in the average water park, Beach said.

Because 18 percent of the people who are ill with diarrhea continue to swim, the outbreak often resurfaces soon after swimming pools are drained and refilled, Beach said.

"It's very hard to stop an outbreak like this," he said. "The people won't stop swimming."

Preliminary results of a risk analysis of swimming show that people who use kiddie pools have a 10.7 times higher risk of contracting Crypto than those who do not swim. The risk is 10.6 times higher for swimmers in regular pools, 2.4 times higher for ocean swimmers and 1.7 times higher for lake swimmers, Beach said.")

10.7 times higher in kiddie pools, 10.6 higher in regular pools. That isn't a huge difference is it?

So we are all at risk and just need to be carefull. Don't get water in your mouth and wash after you are in pools or hot tubs.

I had a dream last night that I asked my question to a passenger on board and suddenly 30 people surrounded me and started yelling at me. I'm not so sure this cruise is going to be fun anymore.

Thanks to the people who informed me about the kiddie pool situation. They really should have something for the little ones, they love the water. It will be hard for my 1 year old to watch my 3 1/2 year old (fully trained!!) in the pool. An extra day at sea because of Grand Cayman is not looking too fun now either.

[quote name='nosnobunny']The reason there have been over 50 ways to say no is because the author of this post still doesn't seem to get it. Check out her hostility on her last post. You can lead a horse to water........... :rolleyes:

Beth[/QUOTE]

My last post said I've been educated. I also said I won't be putting my kid in the pool. I may not agree with all of the science because there is no hard data showing that kids cause much more contamination, but that doesn't mean I won't follow the rules. This post from me may be considered hostile, but my last post wasn't even close. How did you get that??

[quote name='frayedend']Well, a simple "No they aren't allowed in the pool, but there is a kiddie pool for them" would have been more than enough.

I know a lot about microbiology, but this protozoa cryptosporidium seems like a tough one to kill and so has become more of a problem in recent years. Anyhow, I still think that the risk from unsanitary adults is probably as high as from kids in swim diapers. Really, I hope all of the cooks wash their hands frequently. I hope all the adults in the pool are healthy. If my kid had diarrhea I would think that we would not go in any pool. I'd expect the same from adults. That's about it. I hope this thread can finally rest in peace.[/QUOTE]

The post above is the one you referred to as hostile...it was titled "I guess I've been educated" Which I have been. After reading a lot about pool contamination I learned a lot and am wary to go in any public pool regardless of kids. But what part of it was hostile? I guess message boards can be read incorrectly just as email. There was no hostile intent in any of my posts. I may have been defensive based on my position that I don't really agree with the rule and the responses of others. I don't agree with the speed limit, yet I don't speed. I don't agree with lots of rules, that doesn't mean I will break them.

I do sincerely apologize to anyone that got offended by my posts. I will try in the future to be more careful.

Well...on Serenade last year....the pool was closed about 1:30 pm on our only sea day because of a "babie ruth" in the pool. I saw it from the above deck (& I have poor eyesight)....it was pretty big. I am not a poop expert but I don't think it was from a baby.... Maybe an adult or a "young adult". I didn't notice who all was in the pool just before that but I suspect it wasn't a baby. Needless to say though...no matter who did it....we were NOT happy to have pool closed on only sea day!

Archived