Booking On Board, X Reverting to OBC's Based on Cruise Length?

AJD

nps001--As I mentioned above, we did both. We booked a S. Carib. cruise on Galaxy for next Jan. and signed up for the Passages program to book another cruise this year and still get OBC.

The future cruise sales person on Mercury told me X is not advertising it yet, but is quietly going back to the original OBC system. The OBC she marked on our receipt is for $200 for an 11-night cruise for under $1200 and in the margin of the chart she wrote TEST.

Evidently it was just starting when we were cruising. It's possible not all of the ships are doing it yet.

CalDreamin--For those of us who don't book the more expensive cabins the old system is better. Our Cat 8 on deck 4 would've earned us only $50. A veranda or suite would've earned more. I guess the old system discriminates against the high rollers and the new one against the peons, lol. ;D

I thought the $100 Passages fee was to hold open your booking and would be applied to your regular down payment when you finally booked. I idon't mind the $450pp. It's that much less to fork over for the final.

I think as word gets around, the "you know what" is going to hit the fan as people who booked around the same time the Mercury pax did find out they are getting less OBC. I hope X does the sensible thing and makes adjustments.

CalDreamin--For those of us who don't book the more expensive cabins the old system is better. Our Cat 8 on deck 4 would've earned us only $50. A veranda or suite would've earned more. I guess the old system discriminates against the high rollers and the new one against the peons, lol. ;D

Yep, it seems to work out that way. I hope they do go back to the LOC criteria for those in your situation. I will be fine either way. The 14 day and longer cruises would give more OBC in many cases such as repositioning cruises at a good price.

I thought the $100 Passages fee was to hold open your booking and would be applied to your regular down payment when you finally booked.

Yes, that is true. It can hold the OBC indefinitely though. So you have control of some of your money until you decide on a cruise.

I idon't mind the $450pp. It's that much less to fork over for the final.

I think as word gets around, the "you know what" is going to hit the fan as people who booked around the same time the Mercury pax did find out they are getting less OBC. I hope X does the sensible thing and makes adjustments.

Yes, I hope everyone that booked then is included in whatever =X= decides to do.

[quote=nps001;13426976]Perhaps there is a difference between booking an actual cruise and booking an open cruise deposit?

During my January cruise, I booked an open deposit under a program called Celebrity Passages. I put down $100 but did not choose a cruise at that time. I was given a receipt that showed the OBC based on the price of the cruise, not the length of the cruise.

I'd love to know more details about the "Passages" program.

Was it offered in your dailies, and if so, when?

How and where did you sign up?

Was it $100 deposit per person?

Was there a time limit?

Was it specific to certain ships/sailings and did you have to pick a specific ship/sailing?

Was it offered to everyone onboard?

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Karen in Kentucky

I will do my best to answer your questions:

Was it offered in your dailies, and if so, when?

Yes it was. I remember seeing in the dailies, but I don't recall what days.

How and where did you sign up?

I went to the future sales counter and signed up. When I told her that I wasn't sure of my free dates to cruise, she suggested this program.

The $100 is total.

Was there a time limit?

There is no time limit and the deposit does not expire.

Was it specific to certain ships/sailings and did you have to pick a specific ship/sailing?

The only restriction that I can recall is that you can't combine it with other offers. I assumed this to be that if X is offering OBC for a specific sailing, you can't get the passages OBC also.

Was it offered to everyone onboard?

I don't have reason to believe that it is not open to all.

Any other information would be appreciated.

They actually give you a booking number when you buy this. The same booking number is then used and the specific cruise, cabin, dates, etc. are added to the booking and the deposit applied. The OBC does not show up until you get on the ship and see it on your account.

While on Galaxy I will be seeing the Future Cruise Consultant and will

post my findings.

Hi Lois !

I eagerly await your response. I hope that Celebrity will make the changes fleetwide as soon as possible.

Have a wonderful Cruise on Galaxy !

The $100 is total.

Hi NPS !

Are you sure about that ? I was sure it was $100 per person. A Family member recently purchased a FCC, which cost them $200 for 2 passengers.

Is the following limited time offer the reason for thinking X is reverting to the old system of credits for booking on board?

From the X Web Site:

"Celebrity Cruises Kicks off the New Year with New Booking Promotion

Travel agents and consumers to benefit when booking vacations in Alaska, Caribbean and Europe

Miami - (January 07, 2008 ) - Celebrity Cruises has launched the Celebrity Triple Star Celebration, a booking promotion that rewards travel agents and guests for booking, during the next two months, cruises sailing in three key destinations: Alaska, the Caribbean and Europe.

Travel agents who book at least one Celebrity cruise for each of those destinations by February 29, 2008, will qualify to be entered into a drawing for prizes. Celebrity Cruises will award three grand prizes, each of which consist of a trip for the winner and one guest to the Celebrity Eclipse steel-cutting or the Celebrity Solstice float-out (including air travel and a hotel stay). The grand prizes also each include one trip-of-a-lifetime sailing in an ocean-view stateroom plus air travel for the winner and one guest, on one of the following: Celebrity Solstice's inaugural sailing in the Caribbean, a Celebrity Xpedition voyage in the Galapagos Islands, or a Celebrity cruise in Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, or Europe. Celebrity will award a total of 18 agents with a second prize: one of nine Apple iPod Touch MP3 players or nine Nintendo Wii video game consoles. Three hundred travel agents will win a third prize, which is a stateroom on Celebrity Solstice during one of its pre-inaugural sailings later this year.

In keeping with its "Starring You" advertising theme, Celebrity is granting consumers who book Celebrity Cruises vacations in Alaska, the Caribbean, or in Europe between now and February 29, 2008, onboard credit based on the length of the voyage. Guests can spend the onboard credit on a variety of experiences that pamper them, including spa treatments, shore excursions and more. Guests who book sailings that total less than six nights will receive $50 in onboard credit per stateroom. Guests who book voyages that total seven, eight or nine nights will receive $100 in onboard credit per stateroom. Guests booking voyages lasting ten, 11, 12 or 13 nights will receive $150 in onboard credit per stateroom, and guests booking voyages lasting 14 nights or longer will receive $200 in onboard credit per stateroom. Guests who book quickly will enjoy reduced deposits: those who book any Celebrity Alaska, Caribbean or Europe cruise before January 20, 2008, will only have to pay 50% of the deposit fare at the time of booking.

All aspects of the Celebrity Triple Star Celebration promotion are valid for new, individual bookings only. The promotion does not apply to group bookings, transatlantic sailings or repositioning sailings, and is not combinable with any other offer. The onboard credit received through the Celebrity Triple Star Celebration is not transferable. If guests do not use the full amount of onboard credit during their sailing, they will not be refunded any remaining credit.

Celebrity Cruises offers comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experiences with highly personalized service, exceptional dining, and extraordinary attention to detail. Celebrity sails in Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, California, the Caribbean, Europe, Galapagos Islands, Hawaii, Panama Canal and South America. The line also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada, Europe and Australia through its cruisetour affiliate. Noted for "The World's Best Large Ships," as voted by the readers of Conde' Nast Traveler (February 2007 Cruise Poll), Celebrity's current fleet will be joined by Celebrity Solstice in 2008, Celebrity Equinox in 2009, Celebrity Eclipse in 2010, and a fourth Solstice-class ship in 2011. For more information, call your travel agent, dial 1-800-437-3111 or visit Celebrity Cruises website."

Hi NPS !

Are you sure about that ? I was sure it was $100 per person. A Family member recently purchased a FCC, which cost them $200 for 2 passengers.

You are correct, is $100 pp! :) If you read my Valentine's thread, my TA was not able to get that deal for us. We are paying $250 pp. :(

The above is not in reference to AJD's post above me. We posted at the same time. :) However, I do have a comment and information to add to that promo.

Guests who book voyages that total seven, eight or nine nights will receive $100 in onboard credit per stateroom.

FYI - I saw this promo and asked my TA about it, since I was getting ready to book the 2/8/09 Solstice with her. She said that the OBC was not good for 2009 sailings and would only be available for those booking now, for a cruise in 2008. I was hoping to get another $100 OBC for my cruise. :(

Thanks for the previous posting:)

I forgot about it....

"Guests who book voyages that total seven, eight or nine nights will receive $100 in onboard credit per stateroom"

I was thinking about my 2nd cruise to Alaska:D

for September. Guess I better

decide within the next 8 days!

Celebrity Cruises has launched the Celebrity Triple Star Celebration, a booking promotion that rewards travel agents and guests for booking, during the next two months, cruises sailing in three key destinations: Alaska, the Caribbean and Europe.

According to the Celebrity website, the Triple Star promotion only applies to a limited number of specific sailings.

Is this correct?

Hi Signman !

Yes, that is correct. The promotion is for a handful of sailings in various regions - Alaska, Europe & the Caribbean.

Glad to see they are finally advertising this, but on the website the cruise we booked was not on the list. It also says early bookings can be done with a reduced down payment, but we paid the usual $450pp. Maybe ours wasn't considered early enough at almost a year ahead of time. ;D

The other thing I remember is the future cruise sales person told me about the return to the old program before she knew what cruise I was interested in. This was early in the cruise when I was looking at the brochure rack next to her desk. We didn't book till the 2nd last day.

I'm wondering if anyone on subsequent Mercury sailings booked under the Triple Star system. Maybe I'll check on their roll call.

We just got off the Galaxy on February 15th. I booked, and put the deposit on 5 cruises ($2500 in deposits) on the Solstice. Two cabins on 7 day back to back cruises next Feb/March and one cabin for the first week. That was 5 bookings. I tried talking to the Future Cruise Agent (who wasn't very friendly or helpful) and all we got was $50 per cabin per cruise. I thought that was terrible and she confirmed RCCL still does it the old way so I was going to price a back to back on them but the line was over an hour long when I went back. Our SBC is $100 per cabin for 14 days, and $50 for the cabin on the one week cruise.

That leads me to the second point, I have asked on every cruise, since we always book our next cruise while on a cruise, why the Future Cruise Agents can't have an appointment sign-up. If you come down and there are 5 people in line, why not sign up for your 15 or 30 minute appt later in the day and come back, That would sure beat sitting there for two hours waiting. When asked why they don't do that, I was told "It is never busy" - right, then why did I wait 2 hours.

During our Century sailing (2/14/08, 4-nights) we put down $100 per person for a future cruise. The only option we were given was the OBC based on cruise fare. We already had our Christmas cruise booked on the Constellation. I understood that we can't apply the OBC for sailings already booked... too bad, as that one would have earned us a pretty penny!!!

BTW - we really enjoyed the Celebrity product, and are looking forward to more X sailings!!!

Tom

Since we booked a 15 day Hawaii cruise while on board the Galaxy on Jan. 14, I decided to call the reservation department today and inquire about all the discussion on this poll. I was told that the OBC is for the price of the cruise and NOT for the length. I asked if a change was made would it be retractive to our booking and after being put on hold, she came back and told me that ' if that happens the credit will be given on a case by case basis"...whatever that means. We also paid a $900.00 deposit which Celebrity will use for a year and a half, but that was our choice so we could pick the cruise we wanted to book.

When we booked we were never told about any special Triple Crown Specials, but later in the cruise we did read with interest about the new program where you could pay the $100.00 per person to hold a future cruise. The girl at the future cruise desk was very nice and helpful, but failed to give me the final papers showing I had actually booked the cruise and a break down of the charges. I called Captains Club when I returned home and they emailed the paperwork to me.

I am going to be one mad SOUTHERN BELLE if they start giving $200.00 credit for cruises over 14 days and it is not applied to my cruise.

Beth in Georgia.

I agree, appointments are great. We have had them on some ships but on the Century (about a year and a half ago) and the Galaxy (February) there were no appointments. I do think it is strange that they kept the shipboard credit the old way on RCCL but changed it for Celebrity. I also agree that is cancels the incentive of booking on board. To book a year in advance and let them hold $2500 for the measly SBC they are offering - what was I thinking??? -- especially when we just booked inside cabins which will be available whenever. I may re-think this one.

Quote: Hi NPS !

You are correct, is $100 pp!

IF it is like RCI it is $100 per person, BUT you can put down one name for $100 total and add a second name when you actually make the booking. There is NO advantage to you that I can see to put down two names.

WOW, Thom! What a great tip! ;)

I let my TA handle my booking through the Captains Club, and she was able to get me the OBC of $100!

(for booking onboard - although we were off the ship)

Because we picked a cruise and date, and did not go the Passage route (not picking a cruise and only putting down $100 pp deposit), we still had to pay the $250 pp deposit.:rolleyes:

Archived