Panama Canal- Eastbound or Westbound?

SusieV

Does it matter?

We're considering doing one of Mercury's Panama Canal routes next winter and I'm not sure which way to go. I wouldn't mind spending a few days in San Diego but it doesn't really matter to me if it's pre or post cruise.

I prefer cruising from West Coast to East Coast, as I do not have to fly to the East Coast the night before and stay in a hotel. However, if you cruise from the East Coast to the West Coast, you gain three extra hours of cruise time with time changes. Either way it's a wonderful cruise!

For the actual transit of the Canal it makes no difference whatsoever. Unless you happen to live in the geographic center of the country you are going to have a long trip TO the ship or a long trip home FROM the ship. Personally we prefer the long trip at the beginning. The anticipation of boarding makes the trip seem shorter. Living in the Northeast that means we prefer west to east. It really is a matter of personal preference though.

Having gone from both the west coast to the east coast and from the east coast to the west coast we found there is a big difference. We would go from the east coast to the west coast. Triva time, you really go north to south or vice versa. When you sail from east to west you go up thru all 3 locks at once then into Gatun lake and then over to the Pacific locks. When you go from west to east (Pacific side) the loacks are spread out you go in one lock then sail quite a bit to the remaing 2 locks. It to us had more of a wow factor going up 87 feet all at once. You might want to go to the PBS web sight and lock for some tapes on the Panama canal and get them before you go.

I don't see much of a difference either way. I'd try and find an itinerary that allows you some time in Panama to see some of the country in addition to experiencing the Canal transit. For the most part the choice is barrelling through the Canal on a "repositioning" transit, or the 10-day round trip from Fort Lauderdale partial transit. There are, however, a few itineraries out there that allow you time in Amador (Panama City) or Colon, and give you a chance to see something. Regards, Richard

Does it matter?

We're considering doing one of Mercury's Panama Canal routes next winter and I'm not sure which way to go. I wouldn't mind spending a few days in San Diego but it doesn't really matter to me if it's pre or post cruise.

In the winter months in can be a little bumpy going uphill from Panama. If you depart from San Diego, you are going with the sea the whole way down. Just a thought. Enjoy.

I don't see much of a difference either way. I'd try and find an itinerary that allows you some time in Panama to see some of the country in addition to experiencing the Canal transit. For the most part the choice is barrelling through the Canal on a "repositioning" transit, or the 10-day round trip from Fort Lauderdale partial transit. There are, however, a few itineraries out there that allow you time in Amador (Panama City) or Colon, and give you a chance to see something. That's assuming you're not going to play bridge all the time! Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard- we try to avoid bridge on cruises :)

We just came off the Constellation and did a short tour in Panama to Gatun Lake, but I'd really have liked to do the Panama City excursion. I think that we stop in Panama on either of these two itineraries.

Is there something in particular that you'd recommend?

Is cabin category as important for a Panama Canal sailing as it is for say, Alaska?

Just trying to decide whether we can stick with the inside we have booked or if I should try to justify a splurge on one of the forward facing oceanview cabins.

We don't normally get oceanviews because having natural light isn't a big deal to us, we'd rather have a balcony. But Mercury's balconies are currently priced at nearly double inside cabin fares, so it's either inside or OV for us.

Is it worth it or will we be on deck most of the time given this itinerary?

funny bridge should be mentioned. Our first trip through the canal we were accompanied by a large bridge group from Cambridge On. that actually played on the transit :confused:

I think the comments about the longer flight are bang on. We go east to west to get back into our own timezone in a leisurely fashion and to have a shorter flt. home. You Should think about the reverse.

I didn't find a cabin choice to be that important as you just walk the ship to get the best view. Some say however that Aft mid deck all day is the way to go. You don't miss much.

We are on Mercury on the 14-day Panama Canal Eastbound cruise on 1/3/09 and our thought on going west-east was that we would rather have the longer flight (we are traveling from Maine) at the beginning rather than at the end of the cruise.

A question for any who have been on Mercury for the full Panama Canal cruise - where is the best place to watch the passage through the locks? We are on the Sky Deck (1237). Our itinerary has us at the canal at 6 AM. Starting at the Pacific side of the canal what time would we be at the first set of locks (Miraflores?)?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would suggest choosing base on where you will end up if you can take a couple of extra days after the cruise or the reverse if you can take a couple of days prior to the cruise.

We try to take a couple of days after our cruise to tour San Francisco, so for us, we have chosen sailing east to west.:)

Archived