Liquor Quota

Nymue

For the first times in a few years we are driving instead of flying to the pier, so we are less limited in what we can bring back bottle-wise :D

In the past I never paid much attention to the liquor quota, however now I have a trunk to fill :p What is the duty free liquor quota?

Anne

One litre per person unless you are in St. Thomas. If you buy one local made brand you can bring back a total of 5 per person. However - they rarely check so don't put it on your declaration slip. The best prices are in St. Marten.

Ron

Ron--I am surprised you said not to put it on your declaration...if caught the penalties for not declaring are far worse than the duty.

That five liter duty free exemption is for each of you--for a total of 10 liters. Any bottles over that are dutiable at 3%, up to $1000 worth of goods. If the duty owed is minimal (maybe under $10) the officers often don't bother with the paperwork. But definitely put it on your declaration form and let them be the ones to decide, not you.

So what are everyone's recommendations on the BEST Local made brands in St Thomas?

and Thank You for your help :)

Anne

One litre per person unless you are in St. Thomas. If you buy one local made brand you can bring back a total of 5 per person. .

Ron

I wouldn't know what the best brand is, but beware of the brand they give you free with a purchase of x number of bottles. I have no idea what the liquor was like, the very thin glass bottle broke in my luggage. The Grand Marnier and Hennesy were fine; it was the freebie that broke. My husband now refuses to bring anything back. As he says the savings just isn't that great.

So what are everyone's recommendations on the BEST Local made brands in St Thomas?

and Thank You for your help :)

Anne

I've never been disappointed with Cruzan. Made in St Croix, I think.

If you're at Havensight (which you probably won't be), there's a grocery store about 10 minutes walk towards the K-Mart that sells the litre bottles for around $5. Beat that at home...

I love Rum, Pussers Rum (The Official Rum of Her Majesty's Navy) is the one thing I ALWAYS bring back :D

It's the key to a good Painkiller :p

Pussers is not a product of St Thomas, but, it is very powerful stuff. I use it as an after dinner drink, like cognac.

Ron

Just buy what you want. We were having a large holiday party and between that and xmas gifts, we bought 24 bottles.....had a porter take us through...told the agent we were over and off we went. Sometimes we have paid and sometimes not. We never try to sneak it off...sort of impossible with that much. We purchased most of it in St. Martin at Caribbean Paradise. Much cheaper but they do not deliver to the ship and it was a tough walk back to the tender area. This store is a ways in on the left.

You only have to buy 1 bottle "made in Virgin Islands" any of the Cruzan rums are good choices for that. The other bottles can then be what you usually drink--they don't have to be V.I. .

Some people like Bombay gin, or Vodka, or in the case of a young lady we met - Johhny Walker blue label Scotch($100+/bottle).Lot's of people buy Crown Royal.

Sheridan's is a good buy.

The more expensive rum's like Meyer's are also good buys.

For the first times in a few years we are driving instead of flying to the pier, so we are less limited in what we can bring back bottle-wise :D

In the past I never paid much attention to the liquor quota, however now I have a trunk to fill :p What is the duty free liquor quota?

Anne

Hi Anne,

You don't sat which port, but we were just in Fort Lauderdale & the prices there were cheaper than on the ship! Check around locally before you decide.

Jan

One litre per person unless you are in St. Thomas. If you buy one local made brand you can bring back a total of 5 per person. However - they rarely check so don't put it on your declaration slip. The best prices are in St. Marten.

Ron

It is one liter + one liter locally produced per person for Caribbean ports that are not US possessions. Also there is no question or place to put it on your declaration slip, the custom agent will ask you sometimes if you have any Liquor. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/sample_declaration_form.xml

Anne

First, compare prices. The gift ship will give you a flyer of what they carry and how much it is. If you buy 3 or more bottles onboard you will get an extra 10% discount. The ships liquor pricing is very competitive and they do match prices if you can get a competitive flyer. Again, the 10% discount will likely cover any duty charges assessed, and you will still be paying substantially less than you do back home. Princess has also been known to give additional discounts on extremely large purchases. Remember, it is only the federal duty that is collected. No state taxes are collected, which in many cases are far higher. Absolutely declare it. Dont even mess with customs on this. Its not worth it, both in money and potential problems for you. I have declared overages on liquor several times and have yet to pay a duty (but I didnt buy a trunkload either).

Is that compared to Princess duty free prices in the gift shop onboard? :)

Yes, the prices were better in Fort Lauderdale. If you get a picture of the prince I think Princess will match a lower price. Remember the bottles on board are Liters. I bought a half gallon of Windsor Canadian whiscky for under $12, so it all depends on what you drink & what your taxes are at home. Good luck!

Jan

It is one liter + one liter locally produced per person for Caribbean ports that are not US possessions. Also there is no question or place to put it on your declaration slip, the custom agent will ask you sometimes if you have any Liquor.

St Thomas IS a US possession!! It is 1 L + 4 L,

Ron

Ron

Isn't that conspiracy to commit tax fraud?icon4.gif

Ron

Ron

Okay.....let's cool jets here :p We got the point the first, and second time ;)

I don't think the comment was intended for the sake of High Crime....I'll be a good girl and Declare, I PROMISE :)

Happy Sailing,

No Worrys....Be happy....

Anne

Whatever, Whatever, Whatever - are you with the IRS or some other sector of our fabulous government. If so, tell me why I can buy a litre of Vodka in St. Marten which is made in the USA for $6 that costs me about $30 in US?

Ron

Archived