First transatlantic..need reassurance

joevoter

My husband and I booked a package for Voyager departing Barcelona on Nov. 29. We've done two Caribbean and one Alaska, but I'm concerned about the Atlantic in winter. If you've done one of these, please respond and tell your experiences. Any info about Barcelona would be great, too.

Thanks for your help.

joevoter in dusty West Texas

You know it won't be at all like a Caribbean cruise! No "pool" days! Warm clothing...and fewer ports!

Some folks just love the transatlantics--others, like me, are only interested in warm weather destination! A November TA is not for me!

My husband and I booked a package for Voyager departing Barcelona on Nov. 29. We've done two Caribbean and one Alaska, but I'm concerned about the Atlantic in winter. If you've done one of these, please respond and tell your experiences. Any info about Barcelona would be great, too.

Thanks for your help.

Don't they have heat on the ships?

We are doing our first TA in Sept on the Jewel. We wanted to do a TA and this was perfect, on a beautiful Radiance class ship with a covered solarium so I can swim every day. If you are nervous going in Nov come and join us. We have an amazing roll call. We leave from London and go to Paris, Plymouth, Holyhead, Wales, Dublin and Cork Ireland, over the St John, Newfoundland and end up in Boston. I can't wait.

We did the Transatlantic on Voyager this past December. It was an amazing trip, our best yet! You can't perdict the weather for November this year, but we had great weather. It was actually much warmer than we expected and I couldn't believe how smooth the ocean was. We definetly packed much warmer clothes than we needed. But saying that, we are from Pennsylvania, and it had snowed here the day before we left. Also all our other cruises have been from Cape Liberty, NJ, during hurricane season!

Barcelona was awesome! This was or first time in Europe, so we do not have a lot to compare it to. We only went one day ahead, due to time off at work. Wish we could have spent more time there. It was a whirlwind tour, we just did our research and picked our top places to see. We walked everywhere, and enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the city, went to Sagrada Familia, La Bouqueria (the market), Las Ramblas, ate some serrano ham and seafood paella, and then pretty much died for the night.

Wish we were going with you! I would gladly answer any more questions.

We have done several transatlantics, and enjoyed everyone of them. The last one was on the Navigator of the Seas, leaving Southampton on November 5th........and running down to the Canary Islands, and then over to Ft. Lauderdale. Great weather and smooth sailing.

However, mother nature can kick up a bit of a storm, especially in the North Atlantic. If you enjoy a bit of "rock and roll" TA's are a great way to travel!!

Rick

Thanks for your help.

We did a Nov. TA in 2007 on Navigator and it was great. We are also on the Voyager for 11/29 /08 TA and are on Voyager the week before for Med cruise 11/22. The NOS TA went the southern route, the weather was very good and so we booked again for TA this year. Go to the Voyager 11/29/08 Roll call and join in if you can. If you are in a balcony, try for port side, more sun. There is a C & A cert for this cruise good until 3/31/08 if you are a member.

Watch Out For Icebergs OK, just kidding! We just did a TA from Barcelona to Miami this December and it was very smoothe. That is not to mean there can't some rockin and rollin, however, the southern TA have a better chance for "better" weather.

As far as the swiming, there were people in the pool most days. As long as it was sunny, which is was most days the pool deck looked much like a Caribbean cruise, specially after leaving the Canary Islands. I'm trying to find another TA as I type!!

I looked at the Jewel transatlantic.............

The prices were astronomical.

So I looked at the brand new Independence (so brand new that it hasn't been launched yet!), and it's dirt cheap. Sure, the few ports aren't so magnifique, but for my purposes, it's perfect.

It sails from Southampton, where I expect my daughter to be. So I'll combine a visit with a cruise.

And I cannot imagine being bored on the Independence! I only got two days on the Liberty, and one of the big feelings that I walked away with was.........dag, I wish I had waaaaaaaaay more time to experience this ship! (of course, this time it won't be free, open bar 24 hours a day, but what the heck! ;))

On your voyager itinerary you have a very southern route. I would say that you have an excellent chance of beautiful weather by the time you hit Madeira and forward. We did a similar route on Jewel in November and had great weather. I believe one rainy day. Enjoy!

On your voyager itinerary you have a very southern route. I would say that you have an excellent chance of beautiful weather by the time you hit Madeira and forward. We did a similar route on Jewel in November and had great weather. I believe one rainy day. Enjoy!

Imagine finding you here!!! :D :D :D Hope all is well w/ both of you!!!

joevoter: If you haven't already ascertained, we were on the Jewel TA this past November as well. Yes, we did have 1 day of rain, but we had plenty of sun and warm weather. As Marilyn has said, once you get away from the European continent, the weather will improve quickly. You will very likely need warm weather gear (shorts, etc)!!! ;) Just plan on cooler temps (pants, sweatshirts, a fall type coat as you are leaving 30 days later than we did, etc) while around Europe and you should be fine!!!

Bruce

We were on the same TA as Rubrick(Rick), and the weather while not hot was certainly warm once we got to Madeira. The water was so smooth for most of the TA that I was actually dissappointed. I think it was the first cruise I have ever taken where I never took Bonine or anything even one time. The worst conditions were a couple of days from Fort Lauderdale and those were by most cruises I have been on very mild.

You can never predict the weather, but I have been on far rougher cruises in the Caribbean. In fact, I have never been on a Caribbean cruise smoother than that TA. I am not a big pool person while on a cruise ship, but it was certainly warm enough for sunning and pool activities on the open deck.

jc

Thanks for your help.

We did the December 2 transatlantic from Barcelona on Brilliance in 2007. LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! While there's no guarantee on weather, we had calm seas and warmer than expected temps. Barcelona is a wondeful place to visit. Enjoy strolling Las Ramblas and make sure you see the cathedral - Sagrada Familia (probably spelled it wrong). It's a great city for walking around. Don't stress out about what could happen.. think about how great it will be visiting interesting places and being pampered for two weeks!

Have been on three so far. Two were from Barcelona - one going to Ft. Lauderdale and the other going to Boston. None were the smoothest cruises I've ever been on, but none were overly rocky (given that I prefer less than smooth seas cause I like to know I'm on a ship). Weather both times was cool in Barcelona - light jacket - and about the same on the ship for most of the cruise. If you can, plan to spend several days in Barcelona. It is an amazing city with much to see.

Thanks for your help.

We did this TA in Dec '07 and are doing it again in '08 -- the same one that you are on. We cannot do anything about the weather - but the Captain watches thes seas and selects the route that has the most promise. Our cruise was smooth and warm - the weather was simply great! Look on a globe - I would not consider this a northern Atlantic route - it is more southern. We were out at the pool every single day - it was wonderful. See you soon!

Archived