Crazy question

walkman4

Thanks! We were on the Mariner and went to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. Such beautiful water! I have never seen anything like it. We had such a great time. We celebrated Mom and Dad's 50th on the first formal night with cake and our waiters sang to them. We also had flowers, choc. covered stawberries and decorations in their room when they arrived. It was a great time to just relax and enjoy family time together. Again, sorry if I was not supossed to post an old thread. Just thought I would follow up. Thank you!

Hey you guys. We are back from our cruise. Just in case you were wondering, people were very kind and did not bother Colt on the cruise. He had a great time and was able to relax for a much needed vacation. Lots of people would stare and smile and get excited about seeing him but most did not make a big deal out of it. Anyway, we loved the cruise and hope to go again some day. :)

Thats wonderful! Glad you all had a great time. Did your parents have a wonderful anniversay too?

Laura

Thanks Laura! We were on the Mariner and went to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. Such beautiful water! I have never seen anything like it. We had such a great time. We celebrated Mom and Dad's 50th on the first formal night with cake and our waiters sang to them. We also had flowers, choc. covered stawberries and decorations in their room when they arrived. It was a great time to just relax and enjoy family time together. They had a great time. They had a balcony and we all had inside staterooms. They loved the balcony. I think they had a great 50th celebration.

101_0094.jpg

Thanks! We were on the Mariner and went to Coco Cay, St. Thomas and St. Martin. Such beautiful water! I have never seen anything like it. We had such a great time. We celebrated Mom and Dad's 50th on the first formal night with cake and our waiters sang to them. We also had flowers, choc. covered stawberries and decorations in their room when they arrived. It was a great time to just relax and enjoy family time together. Again, sorry if I was not supossed to post an old thread. Just thought I would follow up. Thank you!

I had forgotten about this thread, so I'm glad you did post a follow-up!

There are no "rules" on posting on old threads, although it is sometimes a bit frustrating when people go thread diving through the archives looking for something controversial just to bring it back to life, so to speak. And that is not even close to what happened here! I suspect that AllieInMD just didn't realize the age of the thread, and may have posted something that didn't make sense in this case. (Of course I can't speak for her, just guessing!)

Fame is an extremely relative attribute. As noted, many people would just see another college-aged guy on a cruise. People who live in Texas and follow college football might see a hero!

I'm glad it worked out that everyone had a great time!

Theron

PS: By the way for those who may be curious... :) Wikipedia article on Colt McCoy

PS: By the way for those who may be curious... :) Wikipedia article on Colt McCoy

And wow... I don't follow college football all that closely, but I can certainly see why you had concerns enough to ask this question in the first place! Looks like he has a very promising future ahead, and seems like a really nice guy all around to boot!

Theron

Well .... I have never heard of him.

Or the team.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Me either...........I imagine the ones who recognized him were from TX..

Glad you had a good time though.

I started reading this thread and about half way through, I realized it was started back in February. I'm a little late to the conversations BUT....in about 1997 we were at the Atlantis in the Bahamas and Ken Griffey, Jr. was in the swimming pool with us and no one even attempted to approach him that I saw. We later saw his family walking around and again, no one approached him that we witnesses. Of course, it could have been different at other times but it seems people kept their distance.

I am glad it all worked out for you. It sounds as if everyone had a fantastic time.

Chris

Even if he IS recognized, the novelty will wear off quickly, and folks will be polite and nice.

Tons of "celebrities" cruise, and don't have horrible experiences! I'm sure your nephew won't, either!

Enjoy your cruise!

I also realized about halfway through this thread that it was old. I had a feeling you might have been talking about Colt because you are from Texas and the Heisman talk and all. I'm a very casual Longhorn fan and can honestly say that I wouldn't have recognized him. I know the name of course, but not the face. I assumed that you were on the Voyager out of Galveston. I can understand on that ship and itinerary, he probably would have been recognized.

Glad you had a good time and he was left alone.

Welcome back from your cruise! :) So did the cruise bug bite you - are you thinking of booking another?

We were on a 9 night cruise this month with my parents, my husband, and my two children. I'm hoping they join us for our next one on the Grandeur! Multi-generations cruising together is the BEST!! :)

I am afraid to say that yes, I feel bitten! I have already been looking at cruises and wondering how in the world we could save up for another one. My oldest will be heading to college next year and we are contemplating paying for that fun adventure. ha. I was suprised that someone would say they have not heard of the Texas Longhorns also, but I guess lots of people do not live, eat, and breathe football the way our part of the country does. I was also shocked at getting catty responses. I guess some people just love to try to take other people down. Sad for them. It is much more fun to lift people up! TXMary and Cruise Kitty: Thanks for your responses. My kids I think are bitten too: My youngest said on the three day drive home:" Mom, I am so homesick!" , I told him it was ok, that we would be home soon, and he said, "No!, for the ship"!!

My oldest son says one of the best things about the ship was the constant piped in jazz music in our room. Strange I know, but he also loved ...the cafe promenade: coffee and cookies, the hot tubs, and a million other things. The Mariner was fantastic. Everyone have a super day!

Same here! In fact, one of our local boys is a guy named Trent Dilfer. Just retired. I was shocked to see that he's going bald now! All that time his helmet was hiding his head. :D

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I couldn't name too many football stars. And with the helmets they wear, I certainly couldn't recognize any. Far from home, maybe it won't be quite the problem you envision?

Wow! What a interesting and hilarious group of people to cruise with! I would love to have those folks hanging around me. Of course, most of them are deceased now, but I bet it would have been a ball!

In 1997 the movie "OUT TO SEA" was filmed onboard Holland America's old

Westerdam. Just imagine being on a cruise with Jack Lemmon, Walter Matthau, Dyan Cannon, Gloria DeHaven, Elaine Stritch, Hal Linden, Donald O'Conner, Edward Mulhare, and Rue McClanahan. Cruise Travel magazine ran a story about that movie and the cruise. From what I remember, the story indicated that most of the stars were not bothered much and as a matter of fact many of the regular passengers became "extras" in the filming of the movie (unpaid extras I might add). :rolleyes: I also remember the story saying that many of the stars had their meals in the cabins with one sparkling exception; and that exception (which didn't surprise me) was Walter Mattahu who took all of his meals in the ship's restaurant. So I wouldn't worry about your celebrity being bothered or inundated with requests for autographs, posing for pictures, etc. There no doubt will be plenty of people who won't even recognize him and those that do will probably leave him alone. Play it by ear and see what happens. Keep us posted on these boards......should be interesting. ;)

In 2003 I sat with an actor and his family and their friends. I knew there was something familiar about him. But, he wasn't a "big actor" nowadays, so it didn't register. Then it came out that he acted in a favorite 1971 movie of mine called "Summer of '42". His name is Jerry Houser and is character was "Oscy", the best friend of the Gary Grimes, the main character, "Hermie". Of course!!! Now I recognized him! Jennifer O'Neill played another primary part. He had since gone on to other things. One was playing n the Brady Brides (Brady Bunch) married to Marcia Brady. He also played in the sequel to Summer of '42---"Class of '44". And he's done numerous voices for various characters, some animated.

Anywaaay, he was just a normal guy, as was his family and their friends.

This question reminded me of my first night on my very first cruise in 2001.

My family of four (2 daughters that were 10 and 7 at the time) were seated at a table for four right next to an isolated table for two. I immediately recognized Keith Jackson, the football announcer for college football for so many years. I was intrigued and thought that cruising was going to be all about sitting next to famous people....never happened again in over 8 subsequent cruises.

Nobody seemed to notice Mr. Jackson besides me and I saw him on the ship several times after that, acting just like everybody else. I doubt that your nephew will have too many intrusive cruisers.

Darn it! I can't remember how to edit my post! I really do know how to spell surprised! really, I do!! :p :D

walkman, I just mentioned your thread to my DH and he said he would have recognized him. Of course, he's a huge football fan and a Red Raider fan but I still love him anyway. We always have a bet on the UT/TT game!

DH also reminded me that we have a former UT quarterback living about four houses down from us. I can't believe I forgot! LOL

Since you have been bitten by the cruise bug, don't forget the Voyager out of Galveston. Much closer!

Hook 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

You got it - it no longer was relevant :)

I had forgotten about this thread, so I'm glad you did post a follow-up!

There are no "rules" on posting on old threads, although it is sometimes a bit frustrating when people go thread diving through the archives looking for something controversial just to bring it back to life, so to speak. And that is not even close to what happened here! I suspect that AllieInMD just didn't realize the age of the thread, and may have posted something that didn't make sense in this case. (Of course I can't speak for her, just guessing!)

Fame is an extremely relative attribute. As noted, many people would just see another college-aged guy on a cruise. People who live in Texas and follow college football might see a hero!

I'm glad it worked out that everyone had a great time!

Theron

Archived