RCCL excursion in St. Thomas is a beach in St. John?????

You know - I didn't look at the RCCL excursions on this - but from personal experience let me tell you that you will not miss a thing in St. Thomas if you just spend the day at St. John. I've done both and didn't like St. Thomas a whole lot anyway - waaaay too crowded/commercialized. We did ride the SkyTram thing up to the top to look around and have a "Bushwacker" drink at the open cafe overlooking the island which was nice. Magens Bay Beach is nice - but crowded.

Since you are stopping at St. John anyway (lucky you) right before St. Thomas, I guess it IS a double-up situation. However, if you don't want to go back to St. John (I soooo loved Trunk Bay and also Cinnamon Bay Beaches), then why not try to do something on your own in St. Thomas. I think you could even take a ferry to another island nearby (St. Croix maybe???). Otherwise, there's tons of shopping and cafes in downtown Charlotte Amalie. Take a cab to one of the smaller beaches, maybe, and spend some time if you don't want to do the shopping thing. Otherwise, I don't think there is much to do on St. Thomas really.

If anyone else has some ideas - please post them.

I hope this helps!!!!

Kelly

I wonder if you are confusing the island St. John which is right next to St. Thomas in the USVI, with the city of St. Johns on the island of Antigua?

As far as I know, cruise ships do not dock at the former, but do at the latter.

Jeff

what's up with this? i am looking at the excursions in each of the ports we will be going to. one of the excursions in St. Thomas is taking you to St. John (where we will have docked in previously). Am I reading this right? :rolleyes: thanks.

Absolutely no cruise ships dock at St. John U.S.V.I.

16-Mar Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey 4:00 PM

17-Mar Cruising

18-Mar Cruising

19-Mar Philipsburg, St. Maarten 3:00 PM 11:30 PM Docked

20-Mar St. John's, Antigua 9:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

21-Mar Roseau, Dominica 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

22-Mar Bridgetown, Barbados 7:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

23-Mar Basseterre, St. Kitts 12:00 PM 6:00 PM Docked

24-Mar Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 8:00 PM Docked

25-Mar San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00 AM 1:30 PM Docked

26-Mar Cruising

27-Mar Cruising

28-Mar Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey 8:00 AM

I wonder if you are confusing the island St. John which is right next to St. Thomas in the USVI, with the city of St. Johns on the island of Antigua?

As far as I know, cruise ships do not dock at the former, but do at the latter.

Jeff

ah ha. you've hit the nail on the head. i was confusing the st. john in antigua with the st. john that the st. thomas excursion takes us on. the st. john that we go on from st. thomas takes us to trunk bay so i guess we are seeing the right place from what people are saying.

thanks for clearing that up for me.

Polly

the island in the Virgin Islands has no "s" at the end (St. John)......the city in Antigua DOES have an "s" at the end (St. John's)!

That's right, and the people who live in St. John USVI consider it a slight annoyance that we don't get it right! They don't get all bent out of shape, but they do wish we would use the correct name.

ah ha. you've hit the nail on the head. i was confusing the st. john in antigua with the st. john that the st. thomas excursion takes us on. the st. john that we go on from st. thomas takes us to trunk bay so i guess we are seeing the right place from what people are saying.

thanks for clearing that up for me.

Polly

Don't you just love Cruise Critic, Polly? :D

Hi,

Putting in my two cents' worth--just back from Explorer 2/3/08 12 night--we did the St.John's trip from St. Thomas, and I would so strongly urge you to do it! We snorkeled in St. John's at Trunk Bay, and it was so gorgeous! Be advised: the trip over was on a very rocky small boat, but since I like rough seas, no prob here. Trunk Bay has a snorkeling site with little markers to show you what you're seeing--amazing. Go, go, go!

Lou-Ann

There are 2 St. Johns--one is a "country" on it's own, the other is part of the USVI! The excursion to St. Johns (virgin Islands) is beautiful! It's like a little Eden!

You will NOT be going back to Antigua!

St. Johns USVI is where the excursion goes to from St. THomas. St. John, Antigua is a part of the BVI (British Virgin Islands.

Absolutely no cruise ships dock at St. John U.S.V.I.

Just for everyone's information, although RCCL does not go to St. John, USVI, the Azamara Journey does go there. True, it does not dock there, ;) it is a tender port. This is from the Azamara web site.

Sounds like great cruises. I wish the other cruise lines would follow.

14 Night Caribbean Cruise on board Azamara Quest spacer.gif

Destination:Caribbean. Prices starting from 2,049.00 USD on 29-Mar-2008

Cruise Ports:Miami, Florida, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Ponce, Puerto Rico, St. John, U.S.Virgin Islands, Falmouth, Antigua, Cabrits, Dominica, Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe, Virgin Gorda, Bvi, Cayo Levantado (Samana),D.R., Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos, Miami, Florida

2008 Departure Dates: Mar 29

12 Night Caribbean Cruise on board Azamara Journey

spacer.gifDestination:Caribbean. Prices starting from 1,999.00 USD on 12-Feb-2009

Cruise Ports:Miami, Florida, Labadee, Haiti, St. John, U.S.Virgin Islands, Basseterre, St. Kitts, Fort De France, Martinique, Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe, Gustavia, St. Barts, Virgin Gorda, Bvi, Miami, Florida 2009 Departure Dates: Feb 12 spacer.gif

i am enjoying this post thoroughly. it is hilarious!

anyway, trunk bay, st. john, usvi is gorgeous. usually decent snorkeling. i've diy'd (taxi to ferry to st john to taxi to trunk bay) so i could get more time there, and i think that was a good idea. i'd love to spend more time in st john - amazing place.

we've also been snorkeling at coki beach, st thomas. we thought trunk bay was much prettier but the snorkeling at coki was just as good with far less hassle. so it depends on whether you want to see one of the prettiest beaches in the caribbean.

Just for everyone's information, although RCCL does not go to St. John, USVI, the Azamara Journey does go there. True, it does not dock there, ;) it is a tender port. This is from the Azamara web site.

Sounds like great cruises. I wish the other cruise lines would follow.

14 Night Caribbean Cruise on board Azamara Quest spacer.gif

Destination:Caribbean. Prices starting from 2,049.00 USD on 29-Mar-2008

Cruise Ports:Miami, Florida, Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Ponce, Puerto Rico, St. John, U.S.Virgin Islands, Falmouth, Antigua, Cabrits, Dominica, Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe, Virgin Gorda, Bvi, Cayo Levantado (Samana),D.R., Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos, Miami, Florida

2008 Departure Dates: Mar 29

12 Night Caribbean Cruise on board Azamara Journey

spacer.gifDestination:Caribbean. Prices starting from 1,999.00 USD on 12-Feb-2009

Cruise Ports:Miami, Florida, Labadee, Haiti, St. John, U.S.Virgin Islands, Basseterre, St. Kitts, Fort De France, Martinique, Pointe A Pitre, Guadeloupe, Gustavia, St. Barts, Virgin Gorda, Bvi, Miami, Florida 2009 Departure Dates: Feb 12 spacer.gif

I was looking at this today too! I am thinking of trying this one out. It will definitely be a completely different experience from Royal Caribbean, but the itinerary looks awesome! I must admit I am getting a little tired of St. Martin, St. Thomas, and San Juan, but I love Caribbean cruises. I wish RCCI would spice up there carribbean itineraries a bit.

St. Johns USVI is where the excursion goes to from St. THomas. St. John, Antigua is a part of the BVI (British Virgin Islands.

This news will disappoint a lot of Antiguans:

Emancipation actually improved the island's economy, but the sugar industry of the British islands was already beginning to wane. Until the development of tourism in the past few decades, Antiguans struggled for prosperity. The rise of a strong labour movement in the 1940s, under the leadership of V.C. Bird, provided the impetus for independence. In 1967, with Barbuda and the tiny island of Redonda as dependencies, Antigua became an associated state of the Commonwealth, and in 1981 it achieved full independent status. V.C. Bird is now deceased; his son, Lester B. Bird, was elected to succeed him as prime minister.

Archived